Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

Owning an TT

Hello
I was wondering how expensive it is to own a TT. I'm wondering how much is spent on gas and is it worth it? Do y'all use the TT because yall dont want to use a hotel. Is it more expensive than just getting a hotel. Obviously everyone is different but I'm looking for ballpark number
Thanks
Rubsal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #2

Lots of variables here. How much gasoline depends on how far you want to travel. For us knowing we're the only one sleeping in our bed just happens to be a bonus although we do take hotels on occasion. For us the biggest draw is the hiking, cycling and campfire right outside our doorsteps. Our child made lots of friends camping that he wouldn't have if we were taking hotels. Maybe others could give you a ballpark but that figure would also depend on how big of trailer new or used. I don't think anyone is going to say its cheaper then a hotel but for us its what camping has to offer us.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #3

Well the rv is 14999 and I have a truck that gives me 21hwy n 15city. Max towing for my truck is 8100. We like the outdoors as well. We do fishing and hunting so we are definitely outdoors people. The max driving we do is about 190 miles. I'm not sure how much lower mpg I will get when pulling. We do camp a lot or fish a lot so we have to stay at hotels cause of family. If it's me and the boys we camp out.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

I don't think you can easily find a break even point of owning a TT vs staying in a hotel. We didn't buy a TT to give us an option over staying in a hotel, we bought it because we enjoy camping, traveling and the outdoors. If you factor in the cost of the TT, insuring it, maintaining it and the added cost of fuel towing it, it can be an expensive endeavor but the memories we create camping are priceless and well worth it in my opinion. Ball park on our TT... $140/monthly payment (financed), $28/month for insurance, $50/month storage, $50 for a weekend of camping fees and the MPG on my TV goes from 13 unloaded to 8-9 towing.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

I would agree with the above approx fees that Iraqvet05 posted. Would also add in Food. At a hotel you would be going out to restaurants, adds up quickly.
Camping your paying the same as what you would be staying home, plus the added bonus of homemade, grilled food that you love.

Also, you must take into consideration start up fees. Like hitch, brake controller, wd hitch and stocking the trailer with bedding, utensils, pots and pans etc.
Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #6

Owning a TT and camping is really not about the numbers. Whether it's "worth it" or not depends on what your expectations are. If you're expecting to save money over staying in hotels, it will vary with each trip, and you may be disappointed at times. It's "worth it" for the various family things we do together, and the memories it creates.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

Its not a cost thing. Example: If there is some specific trip we are making where the time spent camping might cut into that purpose then Hotels are best. But if camping is one of the reason for the trip then a hotel is not going to work out.

Camping is fun all by itself, travel needs added attractions....So both are good but nothing like each other.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

We actually bought ours because we took a road trip where we stayed in a different hotel every night. DW thought she would like to travel that way, but after that trip, she changed her mind and let me start shopping in earnest for a TT. There's a lot to be said for sleeping in your own bed, sitting on your own commode, showering in your own shower, etc. The food is generally healthier (from a nutrition standpoint as well as from a social standpoint; dinner is important family time in our house).

As far as cost, you can run the numbers all day long. But the bottom line is there are a TON of variables between people, and even within your own planning (who knows what hotel rates will be? And what type of hotel can you tolerate?). We ran some VERY rough calculations based on one or two trips we had recently taken, and the favor just for that trip came out slightly to the TT side. However, when you factor in that you're paying the note, and storage, and maintenance 12 months a year whether you use it or not, the cost factor swings quickly.

Like many others on here, we are VERY happy with our trailer because we enjoy the outdoors. It's important to us to raise our child(ren?) with an appreciation for the outdoors and a well rounded set of experiences. The TT allows us to do that more on our own terms. The hotels will always be there for those kinds of trips, but for now the TT allows us to spend more time as a family...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #9

The cost ownership really depends on how much you spend on the TT, do you already have a suitable TV, where you will store it and much you use it.

Don't go crazy on the TT you purchase, if you have access to cheap or no cost storage, already have a TV and you plan yo use it a lot (25+ nights) then you can start finding financial value in a TT.

As a rule, a weekend trip somewhere in decent hotels and eating out will be cheaper than towing the TT and camping. A week long trip cooking your own meals will be cheaper in a TT.

I would guess most of us don't have RVs because it's a cheaper way to get away. We have them because we enjoy them and it's worth it to us.

We keep a fairly stringent budget, here are real life examples of cost...

A 7-night summer vacation to our local mountain lake in the TT cost ~$1775. This encompassed everything; including 1 day boat rental, 1 day jet ski rental, couple hour horse trail ride and of course CG, Fuel, Food etc.

Now we are taking a 3 night/4 day driving trip to Disneyland, staying in Hotels and eating out every meal (including a couple expensive character meals). This trip cost $2025 all in.

Worth pointing out, I don't have a trailer payment, storage is $35/month outside uncovered and I don't factor in wear and tear on either my TT or TV in my trip budgets.

Time is your biggest enemy. If you don't use the TT it's is a total waste on money and therefore very very expensive.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #10

I couldn't have said it better Camper bob and your last paragraph sums it up nicely.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #11

Operating costs are a hard one to pin down. A lot would depend on what you want in a TT. You can find small and cheap units that are not hard on the fuel tank, to massively huge TT and 5vers.
You have to look at the big picture unless you travel a lot. I would guess about 15 to 20 nights in a hotel room is about the same as your annual monthly payment schedule. But as outdoor people, the convince of opening the door in the morning and going for a bike ride, a walk, down to the lake to fish, etc, is fabulous. Camping really tends to bring the family together so much more than sitting in a hotel room, between our activities.

What I like best is having our own beds, and kitchen. When on a road trip I do not feel as we are always rushed to load and unload for the night. We can stop at a rest area to have lunch.

Your fuel economy will massively decrease pulling a large frontal area TT. A PU is not quite so bad. My TV gets about 21-23 mph on the Hwy (no trailer, not driving crazy fast). With our 23B on board I get between 9-13 mph. Your mileage will vary.

I call our HTT our portable cabin. It is a lot cheaper than a cabin, maintenance work is easier, and any maintenance can be done at home, not while on vacation.

Good Luck, it really life style you are buying, not a means to get from here to their.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #12

Guys I want to say thank you to all of you. I didn't mean to bring up that question but I'm researching before I make a decision. We do like camping and we do it at least 6-8 times a year plus whenever we go fishing. I. Think I will end up getting one but maybe next year. The one that I'm looking at right now is the 264bh model. That's the one I like.
Thanks for all your input guys.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Buying a TT isn't about saving money, it is a lifestyle. DW didn't have a clue about what camping was in an RV and was against it. I finally talked her into buying a used Springdale cheap. Two years later she absolutely loves it so we bought a new 2014 Eagle and haven't even thought about staying in a hotel. We live about 30 miles from the N. Georgia mountains and just tow it there for long weekends and to Key West, FL for vacations. So, my suggestion is to buy a smaller cheaper RV and try it out and see how you like it. You can also just rent one but the ones I have priced out are pricey. If you decide you want to go the RV route you can always upgrade, and upgrade, and then upgrade... It is kind of like owning a boat, you always want a bigger one.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #14

Something else to consider that no one else seems to have mentioned. If you like the more "urban" style of traveling, you can still use your TT. That was one of the things DW and I discussed before we bought ours. She wanted to be able to see urban areas and experience all the art and culture the big cities have to offer. We decided that we could accomplish this with the TT by staying just outside any urban area we wanted (like in a private CG, or even a state park close by) and use our TV for excursions into the big city. Just have to figure out what to do with the dog, but that shouldn't be too difficult. TT's aren't just for getting away into nature anymore, you can do any kind of traveling you want!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #15

We find we are doing more of that lately. That is finding towns with things that interest us then look for campgrounds in those areas. Just the same thing we use to do when deciding what area to take a hotel in. With camping it seems we get the best of both worlds and save any indoor town attractions for rain predicted days in town.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

This is not a true statement. I save money just for camping nites in the off season, use overtime earnings, seems like it doesn't sting as much. There is allot to be for everything is packed and ready to go.
BillMc
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #17

Quote:
If you don't use the TT it's is a total waste on money and therefore very very expensive.
I have camped with my Grandparents, Parents, Children, and now Grands. You can't put a $ amount on that. My memories are priceless. If you are going to purchase then just look at it out the window-skip it. If you are going to use it as much as possible-you can create your own memories.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #18

I didn't get into a TT because it's cheaper than a hotel. I did it for my kids. I don't care if I have to fill the truck full of gas or pay $35 per night for a campsite, $150 a month for trailer payments, $60 a month for storage, 350$ a year for insurance, and random maintenance costs. All $$ aside, my kids love camping, and ask me to go camping. The smile on their faces is worth every penny. And camping with a 3 and 1 year old isn't easy, so it's only going to get better.
Can you own a TT and save $$ compared to hotels.. For sure.. Buy used trailer and truck would be a start so overhead costs are low right off the start.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #19

I get it's worth it. Is the jayco 264bh a good rv? They have on sale around 14999-15459 around where I live. Are those good prices? Please advice
Thanks
Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #20

I have a 2015 jay flight 26bh elite and really like it so far( upgraded from a 2012 jayco pop up). We paid $22000 up here in Canada. My understanding is the 264BH is the swift version(lighter weight, less options). Up here the 264BH was @ 18-20000. So I think your 15000 is average asking price, but always barter for a better/lower price.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote