Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Painting walls and cabinets?

I have a 2007 23b (hybrid). The decor is very dated and I was wondering what options I have.

First, is it possible to paint over the wallpaper? If so, is there a special paint? I can't really imagine being able to strip the actual wallpaper.... ?

What about painting the cabinets and other wood?

Has anyone completed such a project and have any recommendations? Thanks.

(Pic of the current walls/cabinets)Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458958096.053085.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	22874
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #2

My .02 would be not to paint the golden oak wood if it's in good condition. Same thing with the walls but what I would do is change the all the fabric because that's what's really dated and then I would re paper the wallpaper strip that's compatible with your new fabric. That would add value but if you paint the wood and walls then you own it forever.

Take a few pics to a interior decorator and ask for their opinion , bet it costs you nothing for that. Just give it some more thought, that's really good looking wood and it does make it look lighter and brighter.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

We have the same wood and walls and when you look at mine what would you change, bet it would be the fabric. We plan on changing ours in the next year or two and the decorator said that they will be using our fabric as their pattern so it's not really a difficult job.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

Yes, you can paint the wall covering and the cabinets! On the cabinets, keep in mind that only the doors are wood (and possibly the frame around the door). The rest in a wood-grained vinyl laminate. The wall covering is also vinyl, and paint doesn't always like to stick well to vinyl. I've done it several times in manufactured homes, and I've found a few tips to improve your success.

You can vastly improve the adhesion by first removing the cabinet doors, handles/knobs and hinges. Then, wash everything you want to paint with a solution of TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate - available at any hardware/paint dept.) and water. Rinse everything well to remove any "grit", and dry with towels. Let everything air-dry overnight to make sure there's no water in joints, seams, etc. Next, prime everything that you want painted with "Kills" brand stain cover & primer. The oil-based version works best, but in an enclosed space like a trailer, the fumes will kill you in a matter of minutes. I'd use the latex version. It doesn't have much pigment, so the wood grain will show through. Finally, apply two coats of a high-quality latex interior paint - my personal favorite is Behr from Home Depot. An Eggshell, Satin, or Semi-gloss finish will be more scuff resistant, and will stand up better to years of cleaning/scrubbing.

Oh! and wait at least 2 weeks for the paint to "cure" before hanging anything (like 3M Command Strips, etc.) on the walls. FWIW, lighter colors will tend to make the space seem larger. Good luck with your project!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

Parents painted the walls and ceiling on one of their TTs. It looked great! The cabinets, could be more challenging. My 2012, has some type of silicone treatment, nothing really sticks to them. Where ever I have stuck a Command Hook, I have had to wipe the area with a strong solvent first. Personaly, if the woodwork looks to be in good shape, I would try not to paint it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote