Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Particle board!

Of the three camper I have owned, each one has had some sort of water issue. Not major things -- condensation, plumbing needed to be tightened, sky light left open, etc. small amounts of water sitting for a few minutes to a few hours. The sort of thing that you wipe up and all is fine. But in every case so far, water has caused particle board to swell up to nearly twice it's size and ruin the asthetic of that particular part of the interior. And it isn't stuff you can easily replace. I have to say that my Jayco has less of it than other campers I have owned, but it is there and it is swollen.

I know particle board is cheaper, but it is just not worth it. Can't manufacturers stop using it? If I'm three for three on ruined particle board, I have to think other people have problems too. Can I get some support on this? Let's get manufacturers to say "no" to particle board!!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

You`ve got my vote. My previous TT of another brand had a cheap OSB floor that literally melted when wet. I could scoop it up with my hands after taking up the vinyl where I had a leak by the door. My Jayco does have a plywood floor at least.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #3

2x on particle board. It's heavier than plywood to boot.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

i did a lot of my own research on TTs, looking for things that set the jayco apart. even though i wanted another jayco, as the last served me well, i still wanted to be sure there wasn't something better out there...

things that sold me on our 19H over other makes with similar floorplans:

construction... yes, even jaycos are built as light and cheep as possible, some of the trim is pretty cheap. at least it had solid wood cabinet doors.

the big difference to me was the materials used in the 'shell' of the camper... aluminum frames (big winner there).. vacuum assisted construction (another win)... 3/4" plywood floor with a liner type material underneath... i saw a lot of campers that were wood framed, others that had particle or OSB in places it shouldn't be.

the jaycos didn't seem to suffer the delamination issues that a lot of the other fiberglass sided models were having. well... not as much, i should say...

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote