Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

pay before delivery?

I ordered a new Jayco trailer, paid $1,000 deposit, and am now being told I can't get it the day that I have to finish paying for it. They want me to come see it, pay the balance, then schedule a demonstration and pickup time. Is this arrangement common? The dealer is a big place in Orlando Florida that has been fine to work with so far. I'm not financing the trailer that I'm buying. Thanks folks!!
SailandPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

You pay for it after you walk through it with the salesperson for final inspection.

That is the standard, no exceptions
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

Jayco will not recognize sale by dealer until customer signs off on unit...admittedly it is unnerving to pay first..dealer with unit on lot should not ask for payment in advance
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Just picked up a new unit, likely at an affiliate dealership in NY. I did not incur payment obligation until after the walk through inspection. They should accept the balance after you are satisfied with the unit.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #5

In my experience its common. But you can schedule your personal inspection and business dealings on the same day as your demo. They should work with you on that request. But its common in cars and RVs to demonstrate after the sale.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

We were forced to pay before delivery, and once they had our money we were screwed. They never did most of the work on the buyers order, and then told us we would be charged for storage while they kept the unit for repairs. Crooks. We took the unit out of there and will never go back. RV One, Albany. Called numerous times and only get automated answering system.Have not talked to a live person since we took delivery. Never return calls.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
In my experience its common. But you can schedule your personal inspection and business dealings on the same day as your demo. They should work with you on that request. But its common in cars and RVs to demonstrate after the sale.
not with the thousands of cars I sold.

Always walked the customer through the car before
Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #8

Sorry for all that jacob,i would have been very upset if that's how they treated me...if you are really stuck with them on communication maybe try calling jeff..as I said he was great with us..bettet luck!
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

No way would I pay in advance!!! You lose any control over the situation.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #10

Our dealer was great, we didn't have to pay for our trailer until after we did the PDI. We bought our Whitehawk last October, the dealer stored our unit for free last winter and gave us the option of performing the walkthrough when we closed the deal or when we picked up the unit this Spring.
cppeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #11

Tell them you will pay AFTER the walk through or they can refund your deposit.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #12

Proper procedure is for the dealer to inspect the unit and make repairs if needed, they clean it up and your inspection comes next. A good dealer will not be demonstrating a camper that has defects, they will have been caught and corrected. I have purchased 5 campers from the same independent dealer. Never had a problem found at demo that was more than a 5 minute fix.

So here is what would bother me. Suppose the dealer calls me and says come in let's do the demo. In the process of the demo I keep finding stuff that will not work. So why did I get this call? Are they lazy, do they think I'm stupid?

The process you described is common.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
So here is what would bother me. Suppose the dealer calls me and says come in let's do the demo. In the process of the demo I keep finding stuff that will not work. So why did I get this call? Are they lazy, do they think I'm stupid?

The process you described is common.
what's wrong with this?

This is the purpose of the demo. To make sure everything is acceptable.

Dealers are human. They can miss things. This is the reason why you do not pay before.

You pay then do the demo and find something that may take 2 weeks to fix and they have your money....no way...guaranteed the repair goes on the back burner as well.

Find a repair before the finance office and tell them you will be back with the cash when they get it done.

The only acceptable way to do it. If they don't comply....walk
Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #14

Let me tell you a story.

Once I had a doctors appointment. I sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes. Finally got back to one of the exam rooms, stripped and put the stupid backwards smock on and froze my butt off for another 30 minutes waiting... I finally had enough.. I changed back into my street clothes and opened the exam room door.. The staff started looking at me funny.. I told them this is bull**** and that my time was way to valuable to me and that I AM THE CUSTOMER... Well the Dr. and nurse came rushing in and apologized over and over again to me.. I was VERY clear to both of them that I was unhappy and I felt that keeping me waiting was RUDE and VERY unprofessional.. The excuse of course was that the Dr. had an emergency... Fine.. No problem.. I understand that.. But have the common courtesy to tell me..

I have done this twice since then... In short I really don't care who you are.. I AM THE CUSTOMER WITH THE CHECKBOOK... You want my business... You are going to do it MY WAY.. PERIOD....Way too many options out there for me to be told how I am going to spend my $$$....

Sorry, long post but I hope you get my point here..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #15

We didn't sign the papers until AFTER complete demo and PDI. In fact, I had the trailer hooked up to my truck right outside the office waiting for me to drive off while we finished up the paper work and signed all the final documents. Downside: I was SO excited to be off with my new trailer, I could have been signing Mickey Mouse's death certificate and I wouldn't have known. Good thing DW was there to keep an eye on things!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #16

For me, I will wait for the best doctor. For me I will do business the way the business owner does his business if it's the best business to do business with.

Demanding that you get your way is one way to operate, it's a choice. But I want the experts to do what they do and I want the best ones doing it for me and to me.

Doctors are not fast food joints and RV dealers are not either.

Once I know how someone operates their business I have the option to find another business. If they change the way they operate because I have a checkbook then I suspect they will not be in business all that long anyway.

my 2 cents.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 10-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
We were forced to pay before delivery, and once they had our money we were screwed. They never did most of the work on the buyers order, and then told us we would be charged for storage while they kept the unit for repairs. Crooks. We took the unit out of there and will never go back. RV One, Albany. Called numerous times and only get automated answering system.Have not talked to a live person since we took delivery. Never return calls.
We had put down a deposit on a 2014 Greyhawk on their Buffalo lot. The sales lady we dealt with was very pleasant and answered all of our questions fully and immediately. But after seeing their service department had basically caused their BBB rating to be revoked, we became very nervous about paying up front. We were worried that upon delivery, had there been problems with the unit, we'd have been stuck hundreds of miles from home trying to get their service people to address them.

We were not willing to risk that, so we reopened negotiations with our local Jayco dealer. We'd have paid less in Buffalo, but we are very happy with the unit we bought and the dealer's support. I will give kudos to the dealer up north. They refunded our deposit without any hassles which we much appreciated.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Let me tell you a story.

Once I had a doctors appointment. I sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes. Finally got back to one of the exam rooms, stripped and put the stupid backwards smock on and froze my butt off for another 30 minutes waiting... I finally had enough.. I changed back into my street clothes and opened the exam room door.. The staff started looking at me funny.. I told them this is bull**** and that my time was way to valuable to me and that I AM THE CUSTOMER... Well the Dr. and nurse came rushing in and apologized over and over again to me.. I was VERY clear to both of them that I was unhappy and I felt that keeping me waiting was RUDE and VERY unprofessional.. The excuse of course was that the Dr. had an emergency... Fine.. No problem.. I understand that.. But have the common courtesy to tell me..

I have done this twice since then... In short I really don't care who you are.. I AM THE CUSTOMER WITH THE CHECKBOOK... You want my business... You are going to do it MY WAY.. PERIOD....Way too many options out there for me to be told how I am going to spend my $$$....

Sorry, long post but I hope you get my point here..
admittedly off topic -- sorry

However, you must have a really concerned DR. Last I saw, the average reimbursement rate by high quality PPO plans for a typical office visit/examine was $23 + copay. I don't know about you, but I would not go very far out of my way to collect $23 plus a copay from one "customer" if I had an office so full most folks are quietly waiting 60min.

Now I too don't like waiting, but a DRs day is unpredictable. They would love to keep their schedule, go home at 5 and have personal time but that isn't how it works in medicine.

My neighbor is a DR (Cardiologist) and is full of stories like yours, except they happily let "customers" go and will not have them back.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
For me, I will wait for the best doctor. For me I will do business the way the business owner does his business if it's the best business to do business with.

Demanding that you get your way is one way to operate, it's a choice. But I want the experts to do what they do and I want the best ones doing it for me and to me.

Doctors are not fast food joints and RV dealers are not either.

Once I know how someone operates their business I have the option to find another business. If they change the way they operate because I have a checkbook then I suspect they will not be in business all that long anyway.

my 2 cents.
Great Post -- I 100% agree.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #20

Thanks everybody! Your feedback helped me brace for negotiation. Fortunately, not much talking was needed before the dealership agreed that we could do it all in one day. I'll arrive early enough to examine the trailer, pay, then have the demonstration and leave with it.
SailandPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote