Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Pet ramp

I think I need to get a pet ramp for my basset hound. She can walk up the stairs of our TT but has some trouble going down. I see there are a few on Amazon that are lightweight. Any experiences anyone would like to share on pet ramps?
Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search but didn't find any threads on this subject.
Attached Thumbnails
10934065_10152601233156956_3322046232635623937_n (2).jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

I don't know if you have "Tuesday Morning" stores where you live, but I found a really nice folding one with sandpaper traction at that store for $50. They have had them at the stores I have gone to for quite a while now.
Chixdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

It's this one- which is also available on Amazon.com:
Amazon.com : Solvit 62332 UltraLite Bi-Fold Pet Ramp : Pet Door Safety Ramps : Pet Supplies
Chixdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

I don't know how this one is but it's one I saw on Camping World that you might consider:

Gen7Pets Natural-Step Ramp for Pets - Gen 7 Inc Dba Gen 7 Pets G7572NS - Pet Furniture and Furnishings - Camping World

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chixdigit View Post
We have one of these and it works well. I usually set it up so that its on the second from the top set, not so steep. I'll also put a stack of my levelling blocks under it below the bottom step, as full size people tend to think its for them too. We use it at home for a while to get the dogs used to it.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

We will need to get one of these, probably sooner than later. Our boy is becoming a senior and he's already physically challenged. We were just talking this week about the stairs on the new trailer, he might be intimidated by them. One of these ramps might be the perfect remedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
We have one of these and it works well. I usually set it up so that its on the second from the top set, not so steep. I'll also put a stack of my levelling blocks under it below the bottom step, as full size people tend to think its for them too. We use it at home for a while to get the dogs used to it.
I like your ideas Cosmik! Practicing at home will be a big help for sure.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #7

I bought mine from Petco and it had a sand paper like finish and Tunce could not get a grip so I put carpeting on it. I made an aluminum step and added it to the top of the ramp to decrease the approach slop.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #8

A close up of that step and I also changed out the plastic clip that came with the ramp. It's just a chain with a key ring and a steel clip. First time I used it it broke and the ramp slipped off the bumper and fell to the driveway. Also use this on the TT steps.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #9

The chain and clip.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #10

So her feet couldn't slide off the back of the step I made risers for 2 steps that are hinged and fold flat so I can still fold up the steps.
I put white electrical tape in the edge of the steps to make them easier to see at night both for us, our guests and first of all Tunce.
Hope you get something out of my posts.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #11

Great work Tunce the traveler! I like your mods very much. The photos show your work in great detail too. Very helpful! I'll keep the mods in mind for our trailer. A question though if you don't mind. When the trailer is hooked up, do you use the ramp on one of the side passenger doors? If so, how do you secure it there.
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #12

I used nuts and bolts in the center step but on the bottom step when I used the same nut the step wouldn't fold up flat so I had to use a different style nut (thiner) and (thiner bolt) so it would close properly. Couldn't get a pic of it tonight because it's raining and I have to lay down to see it. Check back Tomorrow and I'll take one off so you can see what I used.
In order to use the ramp when the car is hooked up to the TT I turn the car as far to the right or left as I can, I still can't hook it but my wife puts her foot on the bottom of the ramp so it doesn't slide off and I guide Tunce down. It's not the safest but it's worked so far. Oh, and if you put a real slight bend in the riser it will stay up all by itself and just lower it when you want to. They fold forward so you can leave them down an still use the step like it's not even there.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

On our most recent trip (last week) I had to lift my 10 year old lady boxer into the trailer; it may now be time to consider something like this. Very helpful to know that carpet beats sandpaper. Sassy thanks you.

EDIT: It seems like just a few short years ago all that grey was a deep black. When swimming in the Dog River (Mobile, Al) she looked like an alligator - with just those eyes above the rivers water.
Attached Thumbnails
20140403_192837.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ordered the one Chixdigit suggested on Amazon and will use some of your ideas to modify it so it works for my hound dog. I'll post a picture of her using the ramp (hopefully) when it arrives.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I used nuts and bolts in the center step but on the bottom step when I used the same nut the step wouldn't fold up flat so I had to use a different style nut (thiner) and (thiner bolt) so it would close properly. Couldn't get a pic of it tonight because it's raining and I have to lay down to see it. Check back Tomorrow and I'll take one off so you can see what I used.
In order to use the ramp when the car is hooked up to the TT I turn the car as far to the right or left as I can, I still can't hook it but my wife puts her foot on the bottom of the ramp so it doesn't slide off and I guide Tunce down. It's not the safest but it's worked so far. Oh, and if you put a real slight bend in the riser it will stay up all by itself and just lower it when you want to. They fold forward so you can leave them down an still use the step like it's not even there.
More great info! After looking more closely at your original photos I saw the nuts and bolts and edited my last reply. But, that last photo makes it even more clear. Where did you buy the risers from? I was thinking I could go to a local metal fab shop to have some made. Thanks for the help Tunce!

Travelbug422, I'll probably order the same one as you from Amazon. It's nearly half the cost of the one at CW. Thanks for starting this conversation too. Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
More great info! After looking more closely at your original photos I saw the nuts and bolts and edited my last reply. But, that last photo makes it even more clear. Where did you buy the risers from? I was thinking I could go to a local metal fab shop to have some made. Thanks for the help Tunce!

Travelbug422, I'll probably order the same one as you from Amazon. It's nearly half the cost of the one at CW. Thanks for starting this conversation too. Can't wait to see your pics!
I have 3 steps and in order for them to fold up properly I needed to use a thiner nut and bolt on the first step only, so this photo shows what I used. I too went to a metal fab shop for the steel riser. My riser cut size was 6-3/4x 21-1/2 (NOTE: yours might not be the same size.

In order for this nut/bolt combination to tighten down properly I needed a spacer so I used this steel/rubber washer and they have never loosened up in the past year and a half.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #17

The bottom step using those fasteners on the riser.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg