Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

Exclamation PHEW! New furnace smell

We fired up the furnace for the first time in our new 2010 Jayco Jayflight G2 during a recent camping trip and what an awful experience it was! Air blowing from the ducts smelled terrible and set off our smoke detector multiple times until I removed the battery from the smoke detector.

Fearful that we had a malfunctioning furnace or an incorrectly installed furnace, we shut the furnace down. We opened the doors and windows to flush the noxious smell even though it was near freezing outside.

I frenetically dug through the owners' packet that contained all the information on accessories and found the brochure relating to the furnace. Buried in the text was a statement that the furnace should be operated the first time with the windows and doors open to allow fumes from construction materials to ventilate. GOOD TO KNOW!

I have recommended to our Jayco dealer that sales and/or service personnel make sure new owners are aware that the furnaces in their new trailers need to be operated initially with the doors and windows open--preferably before the first camping trip in the new trailer.

The good news is that after the initial burn-in period, our furnace works without emitting noxious odors or setting off our smoke alarm. Keeps us toasty warm even in freezing weather.
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #2

Awwwwwwwwww, the memories! Yup, remember that smell well! Buuuuuuuuuuuut! How kewl to be able to experience the smell (being the first proud owner of a brand spankin' Jayco)!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #3

We took delivery of our new TT in April 2008 (still rather cold here in Minnesota). Although the TT was inside during the PDI, they turned on the Furnace to show us how to operate the settings AND that the first time used it would have an odor that was not very pleasant. We had a few windows open and both doors. They said they do the same routine on all PDI's. It does not matter if it is Winter or Summer.
I guess I should go back to my dealer and tell them "THANK YOU" for their great instructions.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

I'm aware of that new burn in smell, but having just got the TT a short time ago, I sure was hoping the previous owners had already used the furnace when I fired it up for the first time this morning. Whew! Just the little dust being burned off smell for a few minutes and all was good.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote