Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Picking it up and then parking it.

It's winter so I don't think we will be heading out anytime in the next few months with the new TT. We are picking it up this Saturday the 11th. I will have a few months to "gear up" as they say before our first trip and I really do think I have a decent idea of what I need. (Moving up from a popup)

I have already done the following.

Tow vehicle - Installed tow mirrors and brake controller.
TT - Have purchased WDH and Sway control hitch. Wheel chocks. It will come with water pressure regulator and 30a to household 20 converter plug.

Is there anything else that you can think of that I will need before it gets parked in the driveway? Not for camping but for just bringing home and parking...

Thanks

Mike

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Have you checked your brake controller on another trailer? If I remember correctly, I had to buy two fuses to get my P3 to work; one to supply power to the controller and another to feed the 12V charge to the TT battery (not needed for a short tow home). Read up on your controller's set up...mine wasn't set up when we left the dealer and I drove around for 10 minutes trying to get it dialed in.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #3

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Might want to consider something for taking the moisture out of the air. Long storage periods (at least here in Northern California) can allow for moisture in the air that can cause other problems like mold, mildew, damage to veneer wood surfaces. There are a number of ways that you can dehydrate the interior of a stored unit. I have used DryZair for a few years and it pulls a lot of moisture out of the air. You may have to empty the collection container a couple of times but not a big deal. I have a 34' fifth wheel and i use 2 of them, 1 in the upper area (bath and bedroom) and the other in the main living and kitchen area. You will also likely have to refill the drizair granules once or twice during the storage period depending on how much moisture is in the air.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #4

Iraq - No unfortunatly I just had the controller installed yesterday and since I am not picking up the TT until Saturday I won't get a chance to dial it in like you said. Guess I will have to drive around the dealers lot for a few min. They said that they would help out with getting all of that set up for me...

Pan - Great idea.. Dallas is usually dry, but we can get pretty humid at times.. I have a portable de-humidifer that I can plug in and use...

Thanks

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Might want to check out the length of the power cord to make sure it's long enough to reach your outlet.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

WHAT??? I can't use a 100' extension cord?? Just kidding of course... I am pretty sure there is an outdoor plug right behind it...

Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

I don't really have much to add about storing the trailer. I'm just wondering why you're waiting for our Texas winter to ebb before you head out? This is a great time to be camping in South and Central Texas! Look at this weekend for example, it's going to be sunny and in the 70's this weekend, and there are some fine places to camp if you head a little South! Not to mention not having to fight the huge crowd you'll have to deal with starting in May...

One thing to consider is a float charger for the battery? If the charger in your trailer is not multi-stage, you should consider dismounting it and putting it on a float charger in the garage to keep it out of the elements and charged up. I do this every time I store mine, but then there's no power where mine is stored.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
WHAT??? I can't use a 100' extension cord?? Just kidding of course... I am pretty sure there is an outdoor plug right behind it...
All of my "handy" outdoor plugs are 15A, the closest 20A is in the kitchen - I run a line thru the window to reach it but only need it when I need to run the A/C (you know, Mar-Dec)

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Thanks again guys...

We already have a trip planed the second week of March. (Kids spring break week). Also do plan on taking the battery out and keeping it charged up. Now all I have to do is go to the Walmart parking lot and practice backing up...:fingerscross:

I never knew I would get so excited about buying wheel chocks and sewer dump hoses....

Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Site Team

"I never knew I would get so excited about buying wheel chocks and sewer dump hoses...."

This too shall pass!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #11

Congrats
I just use the damp rid for the moisture issues...Should look into a dehumidifier

Just picked up mine today
I did get a starter kit with the sewer dump hose and already had wheel chocks, guess I missed on that fun

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #12

Yea, I'll get a starter kit as well, but even the dealer said it was pretty much the cheap stuff and I would want to go out and purchase better accessories. I guess it is really one of those slow progression kind of things.. Our twin boys are 15 now and we started camping with them when they were around 5. We go out 2 - 4 times per year and for about the last 9 years we did the tent thing.. Always had an eye on the TT's but never even dreamed we would or could get one. Purchased a used popup last year (in good shape), but realized it was barely a step up from tent camping.. After our last trip out for the year (Last November) I started investigating TT's. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found out that I could get a pretty nice TT for around 15K... I was very ignorant of that and figured 30 -40K minimum... And with 2 boys only 3 years away from college and we are in our 50's with retirement (ha ha) coming up in a few short decades.. getting the trailer would never happen... WELL, now that it is I guess it is just a long time wish, dream, that is coming true.. So yea... sewer hoses, chocks, leveling blocks.. all those things are pretty fun.. And Crabman is right that too shall pass. (BTW crabman - that was funny)

Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #13

I bought a trailer cover as well as wheel covers. If you don't plan on a trailer cover, get the air conditioning cover to keep the debris out and protect the plastic housing from getting weather beaten. The tire covers are to protect the tires from ultraviolet that will dry the rubber and crack it. definitely pull the battery and put it on a battery tender during the winter.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote