Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Picking up my 2014 Jayco WhiteHawk 23MBH on Saturday

My wife and I are going to pick up our new 2014 Jayco White Hawk 23MBH from the dealer on Saturday. This will be our first Jayco Trailer and would like some comments or advice on what we should ask our dealer.

We decided on this trailer because we liked the idea of the Murphy Bed. Any experience from others with this trailer would be appreciate. Thanks
happycamper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

We have the 20MRB, your trailer's smaller and younger brother. We love the Murphy bed. Nice to have the floor space during the day.

As for your questions, have the dealer show you how the slide works.All the way in and out. When in, are the seals even on both walls inside? Outside, while the slide is in, is it in the same on all four corners? It should be tight.

You will probably hate the bathroom faucet, easily replaced with a higher spouted one, and I would suggest swapping the shower head for something better with a shut off at the head. While you are in the trailer, try and sit at the dinette. Can you get your feet in and out easily around the legs & feet of the table? (We replaced it with a card table).

Turn on all of the appliances on both propane and electric and make sure they work. If you can, place all jack stands down to stabilize the trailer and see how much it rocks & rolls. We bought these two items to eliminate much of that:

X-Tended Fit X-Chock - BAL 28014 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar - BAL 23216 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

I also bought some long under bed type clear plastic storage type totes for the outside storage bins. Keeps things organized (hoses, extension cord, tv cable, etc).

A foam topper helped on the Murphy bed and it will still retract all the way with the foam and bedding!

Hope I don't sound negative. Like I said, we love our 20MRB and have made the above mods to make it better for us.

Congrats on your new rig!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

Murf,

Thank you for your advice and we will take your advice when picking up the the trailer.

Thanks
Larry
Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

My 23MBH had/has the following issues.

-underfloor heat duct was not installed
- Fender on the entry side is 3" off center.
- All of the cabinet bottom shelves were poorly secured and nearly ripped out of the framing with very little weight.
-Lots of little cosmetic issues, staples sticking out etc.
-The shower leaks onto the floor, you will need to get end dams to prevent this.

If you go to the mods forum you can see what I have done to my trailer to improve it.

My family loves the layout, there is a lot of space for a little trailer.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:05 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
My 23mbh had none of those. What it did have was the nightstand one one side had been damaged by what they think was a not secured bed during the transport. The dealer had already ordered the replacement from jayco. I took It home and then brought it back for the warranty work. If there was anything else they found it on their inspection. I'm quite pleased with my dealer and my 23mbh.

This though does reinforce that if the bed is not latched properly you coul get some damage
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

jamaddox,

How long have you owned your 2014 Whitehawk 23MBH? Have you taken it on any long trips and did you experience any problems pulling the trailer.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #7

I'm so glad to find threads regarding this model - seems to be scarce. I can't wait for my delivery - supposed to be end of October! Based on other threads that may end up being much later. Am hoping somehow I will have it for Thanksgiving. This will be my first Jayco TT.

In the mean time, was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions:

-Plan on purchasing the Equalizer WD system (other choice Husky Centerline TS) opinions welcome
-Considering the purchase of second parallel battery from dealer (will this void the warranty in any way)?
-Total length of trailer including bumper & spare? (purchasing RV cover)
-Upgrading to Anderson levelers & X-Chocks (will the standard 10" expansion work on this trailer or do I need the extended 17" version)?
-Anyone using the Zamp solar panels yet? (opinions please)

I welcome any input pros or cons on options above or those I've not thought of. Also would love to hear what you do or don't like about this model now that you've had time to enjoy it.

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2016 23MBH Elite (pending delivery)
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

I would look at the Curt TruTrac, works great on my 23mbh.

2nd battery will be fine

I believe it's 27'10" with the spare

You will need the 17", I had to add 2.5" blocks to my 10" models.

Love floorplan, fresh water capacity and exterior. Don't like the interior fit/finish/quality.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #9

Thank you blderman, very helpful.

I was also curious if you or anyone has any idea of what's under the bottom bunk? Wondering if it's all structural reinforcement, plumbing/vent runs OR if there's a potential for additional storage if modified?

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2016 23MBH Elite (pending delivery)
Old 09-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #10

Plenty of room under there. I put an exterior access panel in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441394210.777666.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	20013Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441394229.635290.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	20014
Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

What a great idea and much needed storage. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to be that handy - especially cutting thru the exterior. Most I might be able to pull off is access thru the inside. I really like what you did.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #12

Picking up my 2014 Jayco WhiteHawk 23MBH on Saturday

I can't figure out why Jayco didn't put a storage door there on the Jayflights. The White Hawks have one there and also at the back seat of the dinette. That will be the next one I install.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #13

I didn't notice that until I found a picture of it on the 2015 models. It's a great point, seems Jayco could have easily provided this bit of extra storage. Did you relocate your spare tire to the right slightly covering the ladder to achieve this mod? Spare looks centered of the outside shower and ladder with little or no room.

Other thing I find odd is there is no locking access panel protecting the fresh water access. (maybe I'm just not seeing it)?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper78 View Post
jamaddox,

How long have you owned your 2014 Whitehawk 23MBH? Have you taken it on any long trips and did you experience any problems pulling the trailer.

Sorry just saw this. We bought it new and bought it new in feb of 14. We have not gone on long trips yet. Just 50 miles to lake. We have stayed at the lake for a week though and have another week coming up
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

The whitehawk does have exterior storage with afoot on the back. The fresh water input is not locked. We use the equalizer wish with sway control and love it
Old 09-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #16

I've had my 2015 Whitehawk 23MBH since June of 2014. We've put just shy of 9000 miles on it in that time frame and I have only had one problem..... The little drawer beside the Murphy bed won't stay closed because the latch broke. I do hate the bathroom faucet and how small it is but not enough to replace it yet. I did replace the shower head with an Oxygenics unit which has made all the difference in both pressure and water usage. I use the Andersen WDH and it is very simple to use. The best feature for me is that you can drop the Murphy bed with the slide in if catching a few winks at a truck stop or rest area. You just have to keep the legs folded until it gets near the couch and then drop it otherwise it will get stuck on the slide.
PowerStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #17

@powerstroke: never thought of that with the bed but it it is a good idea. That way you don't have the put e slide out but still get to use almost everything (would be tough to wash dishes but everything else is accessible. And with the rear door if you need to get past the dinette but can't then there is another way to access the bathroom and the rear bunk
Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #18

Believe it or not the kitchen area is still very usable with the slide in. It's tight right by the drawer area but with the way the sink is angled it's easy to jump in for a rest stop lunch without too much trouble. We still use the main door to exit in and out of, but you just have to make sure you don't step on the edge of the slide as there is only about a foot of floor available between the slide and kitchen drawers. I'm a larger individual and I don't have any problem moving through with the slide shut.
PowerStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, ideas & opinions, really looking forwarding to enjoying the trailer once I finally get it
Old 09-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStroke View Post
Believe it or not the kitchen area is still very usable with the slide in. It's tight right by the drawer area but with the way the sink is angled it's easy to jump in for a rest stop lunch without too much trouble. We still use the main door to exit in and out of, but you just have to make sure you don't step on the edge of the slide as there is only about a foot of floor available between the slide and kitchen drawers. I'm a larger individual and I don't have any problem moving through with the slide shut.

Yeah true I realized that after you pointed it out. I guess what I meant for us was the cabinets since that is where we store the cooking utensils. However the great things is that the refrigerator is totally accessible with the slide closed