Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

... planning a trip to Yellowstone NP next summer, and I would appreciate your input.

We (2 adults, no kids, no pets) will probably be entering and leaving Yellowstone NP through the East Entrance. We will do mostly the touristy stuff. No remote hiking, or that kind of thing.

So, for those of you who have been there, if you are willing to share your thoughts, comments, and opinions, I would be glad to have them.

I have already started downloading maps and other park information from their wesite so I should be able to follow along with any information you provide. (We have already decided it would be a bad idea to try and ride a bison or tickle a grissley bear.)

Thanks in advance,
Dale
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

There is so much to see and it is a huge park so leave yourself a LOT of time. I have been up there several times and there is so much to see and do (particularly if you fish). I have been coming in through the west entrance and the north entrance. Until recently I had a tent trailer and stayed outside the park at KOA’s in the west and north as well as on the Gallatin river ( Where a River Runs Through It was partially filmed). Been up there three times in the last five years ad am planning a multi week treck up there for next September.
Slow driving in the park mostly due to folks stopping and looking at animals ( AKA bear jams). It is worth it to see herds ( at time over a thousand) of buffalo crossing in the Lamar valley.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

Dale,
A couple of things you may want to consider, what time of the summer you will be going. We went early Aug. very crowded, during Sturgis Rally, lots of lookers stopping in the road to view the wildlife. fly fishing in the Yellowstone River and temps were warm and muggy. We had a PUP at the time.

You need to decide if you want to stay within the park and if you want hookups or not. There is only one campground within the park that offers hookups, Fishing Bridge campground. We camped at Grants Village, very large campground, no hookups, site was a pull through but small. Only restrooms in center of each section. Showers and laundry are located at the Village. We chose that location because it was closer to Old Faithful and we would be heading south through the Grand Tetons. We ended up not making it there due to the fires that year. All south roads were closed.

If you make it to Yellowstone. Try to make it to the Grand Tetons. They are absolutely beautiful. I would suggest Colter Bay campground if you do make it there. We went to the Tetons this past summer and spent 4 days there. We just loved it there.

Enjoy your planning.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Coming from the East will take you through Cody, Wyoming and over Sylvan Pass, very steep on both sides, but very beautiful. Drops you right down to Fishing Bridge Campground. Might want to see if you can get reservations. It is a big place, but if you are not in a hurry and have a couple of days, you can see the easily viewed sights by just taking all the loops and getting out of your vehicle and walking to and around the sights. If you have more time, you can take a fishing trip on Yellowstone Lake if you are going to be there when fishing is open. I second the idea of trying to get down to Grand Teton National Park. I believe that Teton is prettier than Yellowstone but doesn't have as many features to see. The Colter Bay campground has both full hook-ups and "dry" camping. Full hook-ups have to be reserved quite some time in advance and cost over $50 per night. The "dry" camping was $21 per night, $11.50 if you have the Golden Age Passport for national parks. The campground is just a short walk or drive from Jackson Lake. There is also great wildlife viewing in Teton, boat trips on Jackson, including a dinner cruise in the evening with steak on an island right below Mount Moran. Jenny Lake is a wonderful site with either an easy hike to Hidden Falls or a boat ride. Fishing in the lakes or on the rivers; bears, moose, elk, deer, Bald eagles, buffalo, etc. We spend a good portion of the summer in Grand Teton with side trips to Yellowstone. Both are not to be missed. Hope you are planning on quite a bit of time in the park, it is way too big to see, and enjoy, in one day. If you would like to see some pictures, taken by a rank amateur, send me a note at jalichty@bresnannet and I'll send you some.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in the world. It's one of those places that make you realize how small you are in the grand scheme of things. When we go (since we live in Southern California) we enter from the south, and that also gives us opportunity to see the Grand Tetons, which are in my opinion even more magnificent than Yellowstone! I can't put into words how breathtakingly gorgeous the Tetons are. So much to see and do . . . Lamar Valley, Jenny Lake, Old Faithful (if you go see it, stop in at the Old Faithful Inn and just walk around. What a beautiful old building with some cool gift shops as well. Again coming from the south we stay at the Jackson Hole KOA. It's just below the town of Jackson Hole and it's literally right on the Snake River. You can do float trips all the way up to major rapids on the Snake River. Oh, and if you do happen to make it through to the south and find yourself in Jackson Hole (a very cool town) stop in for lunch at Bubba's. Really good BBQ! :hihi:

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

We (wife and 4 pugs) are also planning to go to Yellowstone in 2013, just after Labor Day (Sept 3-7) on our way to visit our children in Poulsbo,Washington. We plan to stay in the Fishing Bridge RV park. My wife has a thing about having to have full hookups. We still haven't figured out the sight seeing part yet (No tow vehicle).
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

I used to live in Boise, Idaho. I would recommend, if possible, to wait until after Labor Day. We went the week after and had the Park to ourselves. Still warm and everything was still open. As everyone has suggested, don't pass up the Tetons, they are magnificent! Yellowstone is incredible with things that are found no where else in the world. Enjoy
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #8

Thanks, everybody. It's all good information. We would like to wait until later in the summer or early fall, but that doesn't work for us. So we will be part of the summer crowd (ugh). We have scheduled the 3rd week in July to arrive at Grant Village and after 5 nights going to Colter Bay for another 5. Looks pretty much like a standard itinerary. We can't stay at Fishing Bridge because we have a hybrid. We are early risers and will try to stick to a morning routine. I've heard that's the only way to beat the crowds.

When we told the family about our plans, DMIL told me it's good luck to take a midnight hike with a salmon in my pocket. That's not true is it?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

It is if your Dr. Doolittle and are fluent in bear/wolf lingo, or else you'll be runnin' your butt off! lol !!!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

MIL must have insurance on your life, huh?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

That's too funny, I have to remember that advise!

Last time I was there was July of 2007 and it was HOT. Still beautiful, but we definitely had to keep hydrated.

6.0L Powerstroke V8
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #12

On the go, thanks for posting this. My wife and I are going to do the same place but coming from the west and will probably do a lot of hiking. I hope you enjoy your holiday. We have never been there before and have read many articles on it from various RV magazines. Can't wait.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

You're welcome, Richard. I'm also gathering information. I like to know something about attractions and directions before I get there.

In the post above yours, BlueHaul said it was HOT during his visit. I hope we can say that when we're there - and not that it was too cold! I'm sure we will have a great time regardless of the temperature.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
On the go, thanks for posting this. My wife and I are going to do the same place but coming from the west and will probably do a lot of hiking. I hope you enjoy your holiday. We have never been there before and have read many articles on it from various RV magazines. Can't wait.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

I think HOT was a relative statement. We have been in Yellowstone and Grand Teton many times over the years and when it's HOT, the temps are in the mid to high 70s. I don't consider that to be hot, I consider that to be very comfortable. Have a great trip and don't worry, Yellowstone and Grand Teton will not be too hot for you.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #15

If my rusty memory serves, it was hovering around 90 when we were there during the day, but the evenings were very nice. We stayed in Beaver, UT then Salt Lake City, then Bear Lake, then Jackson Hole, WY. Every place we stayed the A/C got a workout. That was also the year they had a huge fire on the I-15 between Beaver and Salt Lake City. The smoke was crazy and we were listening to news reports on the radio that they were sending fire crews from a few different states to fight it. I will say that Wyoming was probably the coolest place we stayed. Beaver and Salt Lake City, UT were right near 100. We had a good laugh that when we got back to southern California it was nice and comfortable at 85! On the trip north, we stopped for lunch in Mesquite, NV. That was the hottest at 118, and I'll always remember it because we had to change a tire on our friend's trailer (we were in a 2 rig caravan) and kneeling on the asphalt was almost impossible! But aren't these the memories we look back on and cherish?

6.0L Powerstroke V8
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #16

We went to Yellowstone last summer in late July and stayed at Canyon Villiage and Indian Creek. If I had one big regret it was that we didn't have an opportunity to hit the Grand Tetons while we were there.

If you drive there using hwy 90->14 there are 2 flavors of 14: 14, and alt-14. Both have amazing scenery if you want to take one on the way out and one on the way back. Alt-14 has a very extreme pass east of Lovell and outside of the bighorn national forest. It was an absolutely amazing view from the top (I think it's like a 6000 ft vertical) - but going eastbound it is a HUGE climb and gas-drain when towing a trailer. Make sure you keep your gas tank full as you get near it - don't ask me how I know You can google alt route 14 wyoming to get some info

Yellowstone is much bigger than I expected. We put 400+ miles on our truck inside the park while we were there. If we were to go back, I think we'd site-hop a bit more to get into the campgrounds that are closer to where we were going to spend our time in the following day, rather than staying in just 2 places and doing so much driving. the north-south roads tended to jam up while we were there - especially south of Canyon due to buffalo on the road - so driving takes longer than you'd expet too.
ringneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #17

I was just going to post a question regarding fuel consumption in the mountains. We to are headed west this coming summer, and Yellowstone is one of the destinations. At this time we are planning to enter Yellowstone from the East Entrance, not sure if that is a wise idea with the TT and leaving out the North Entrance. What kind of fuel efficiently drop can I expect in the mountains. In the flat lands of Minnesota I get between 9-12 mpg depending on my speed and if we are using the TV AC. With a 22 gal tank I try to fill up every 150 miles (1/4 tank left). I am wondering if I should not bring a couple of 5 gallon Jerry cans just in case.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #18

Certainly you should fill up in Cody before entering from the east as the grade over Sylvan Pass is pretty steep and long. However, when you get into the park and drop your trailer, there are a lot of stations where you can fill up. Just be prepared for sticker shock, generally prices in the Parks are higher than almost anywhere in the whole rest of the US. You really shouldn't have any problem making it into the Park over Sylvan since it's only 50-60 miles from Cody into the Park. The drive will be worth it since when you top Sylvan Pass, you are "on top of the world" kinda and the views going into the Park are great. Have a great trip.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #19

Thanks again for more good Yellowstone advice. It really is helpful. We will deal with the weather whatever it is. If there is one of the freak July snowfalls, we will have plenty to talk about. If it hits 90, we will drink more and sweat some, but we won't have to shovel.

We had planned on coming in from the south, but we might include Mt. Rushmore along the way so the east entrance could also be where we come in. The grades will be new to us. Going back-and-forth to Florida I think we have been on 6% grades but I don't remember that for sure. I'm sure the Rockies are in a class by themselves. We won't ask our equipment to more than it can. Our TT, the x17Z is smaller than most. Our TV is a F-150 4WD with a V8 and 36 gallon tank. So, I'm thinking unless something unusual happens we should be in good shape. Once again, we appreciate the good advive - and we will fillup in Cody.