Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Planning OCD??

Ok, this is our first year camping and we are about to make a long trip from NC TO Disney. I'm worried bout fueling up and such. We are actually leaving from Morehead City by the coast and mapquest is taking us down through Wilmington and through the country to 95. I'm comfortable about finding fuel on the interstates. It's the back roads I'm concerned about. So, I've been bouncing between gas buddy app for addresses, google maps for distances, and google earth for layout. The wife says I'm killin her by me being anal!! I call it just being prepared.... Anyone else do this?? Any better options???
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

Look, this whole 'RV lifestyle' thing is supposed to be fun, not life-threateningly stressful. IMHO, the easy answer is to start keeping an eye out for a suitable place to gas up when the gauge gets to about 1/3rd of a tank remaining. That should give you plenty of time to find a spot to get gas, snacks, whatever. A side benefit to stopping early for gas is that it will take less to fill the TV up which means you aren't dropping a huge wad of cash every time you stop. True, you will still burn roughly the same amount of fuel but, at least for me, pumping $60 worth of fuel at each stop rather than $100+ is less stressful and I enjoy having a chance to get out and stretch a bit.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

Call it what you like, but when towing, you better know where the next gas station is. I do the same thing. All it takes is a trip out West to realize why you want to know where gas stations are! I had no idea that you could drive a hundred miles anywhere in this country and not see a gas station!!
I've been on the route your going on, and you shouldn't have any problem between Morehead and Wilmington.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #4

Don't feel bad. I have been plotting out a 2600 mile (one way) trip for the last two weeks. However, after doing the same distance last summer, I don't worry too much about the service stations. Well, let me add a qualifier here.

On our trip east last summer, I failed to research gas stations in Montana. We were headed for the night's stay in Columbus MT and where I thought there was going to be a station, there was not. So, as we watched the GPS tell us how far we had to go to the CG, we also watched the TV's computer tell us how much farther we could go on what fuel was in the tank. Apparently, these two devices do not talk to each other. The miles to go on the GPS kept going slower that the miles we had to go to empty.

To add insult to the situation, the westbound lanes of I-90 were under construction so we are on what is now a two lane highway with no shoulders and no place to dock if we run out of gas. The Good Lord spared us and we managed to get into a station where I put in 22 gallons in my 22.5 gallon tank.

Moral of the story, don't let the tank get below half. And, don't sweat finding gas on the back roads. On the return trip, we got off of the interstates and traveled many of the older U.S. highways. You get to see more of America and every town of any size has a gas station/convenience store and most are accessible with a trailer in tow.

Have a fantastic trip!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

If you are buying gasoline, then there is little to worry about. If your Suburban is a diesel, then it is a better idea to try to buy fuel at higher volume stations/truck stops. For diesel fuel, another source you might find helpful for diesel and truck stops is 'dieselboss.com'.

Because towing you need fuel much more frequently than usual, it's best to be prepared and fill up when you are at about 1/3 tank... of course you know your MPG and can plan accordingly.

We'll be in Fort Wilderness in WDW this fall. It will our first time with our own trailer at 'The Fort' and we are really looking forward to it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #6

We love to travel the smaller roads but concerns over fuel stops, overhead clearance, tighter turns will keep us mostly on the Interstates. I use the AllStays app on my iPhone/iPad for enroute planning. It doesn't do distances but will show your location, fuel stops, CG's, WalMarts, rest stops and the like. We plan on a stop every 200-ish miles for fuel, stretch, potty (people and pets) and soft drink refill which gives us a bit of flexibility.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

I do extensive planning and plan to fuel up when I am at one-half tank. I use the same apps the OP does as well as eye-balling things very well on Google Earth.

I guess this is OCD planning. On the other hand, as someone above said, the whole RV thing is supposed to be fun. To me there is no fun to be had of any type searching for fuel when the gauge is approaching empty. It is more fun for me when I know where I can get fuel and I know if will not be hard to get into and I know I won't be getting low.

I say plan away!

If I had the money I would buy an auxiliary tank (say, and additional fifty gallons) and then I would relax more.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

My range with the Touareg is about 500 miles so I don't worry about fuel but what I really worry about is a flat tire and no room to pull over. You can only run out of fuel once after a fill up but that tire is every mile of the trip. At least that's my worry.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

I took a 5 gallon gas can with me on the last trip out West. I thought I had researched the routes enough, but had it with me just in case. Turns out I didn't need it, but I was more careful this time about taking a "shortcut", like I did in 2012.
Loris, South Carolina.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #10

I won't get into the planning OCD thing! But, In an attempt to ease your mind, I live approx 1 hour of the general vacinity you question (btwn Wilmington & I-95). Just take Hwy 74 west and whether you continue HWY 74 all the way to near Lumberton, NC or take Hwy 76 at the split west of Whiteville and hit I-95 at Florence, SC you will be fine. At the Intersection of HWY 74 & HWY 701 at Whiteville (about halfway that stretch) there are a couple gas station and fast food eateries as well. Florence, SC is about 1 hour S of Lumberton on I-95.

BTW, anyone with a nickname of "CornDog" has got to one helluva good guy :-)!!!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #11

Thanks for all the advise. I'm sure once I start towing for a few seasons, and learn more about my TV, I'll start to relax. Being an aircraft crew chief in the AF taught me to expect the unexpected and to have plan A, B and C before taking off.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #12

TOTALLY understand. Only been RV camping for a couple years and only local trips. We're going to Disney in November and doing planning on routes and fuel stops as well as overnight stops. To me thats part of the fun and experience. I don't fear not finding a fuel station, I fear getting into a small one and have to BACK OUT!!! I like RV PARKY app and Pilot/ Flying J web site for help. Have a great time!

2008 Ford F250 Lariet 4WD 6.4 Diesel
2015 Jay Flight 34 RSBS
2014 Keystone Hideout -traded
krgbcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

When I towed a hybrid with a small pickup with a V6, that little truck worked hard and used a lot of gas from its small tank. One time I got gas and wasn't paying attention to what the bored teenage kid was doing, and he didn't fill it up all the way like I would have. By the time I noticed that we didn't have enough gas to get to our destination, it was too late to do any thing about it, and panic set in. In the end, we barely did have enough, but I vowed to never let ourselves get put into that situation again. From now on I always go to the self serve islands so I can control the amount of gas pumped. While owning that vehicle and towing with it, I also had a 5 gallon gas can bungee'd to the back of the trailer, just in case. We never needed it, but it gave us some peace of mind. Our truck now has some decent range to it, and we know where the gas stations are around our regular haunts.
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #14

Look. I would ask that all of you quit calling it OCD. The proper name for the disorder is CDO. It is the same as OCD, EXCEPT all of the letters are in order, the way they're supposed to be! LMAO!!!
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
Look. I would ask that all of you quit calling it OCD. The proper name for the disorder is CDO. It is the same as OCD, EXCEPT all of the letters are in order, the way they're supposed to be! LMAO!!!
that should be ALMO....

2008 Ford F250 Lariet 4WD 6.4 Diesel
2015 Jay Flight 34 RSBS
2014 Keystone Hideout -traded
krgbcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #16

Instead of OCD, you could just call it the 6 P's:

Prior
Proper
Planning
Prevents
Poor
Performance
Loris, South Carolina.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #17

you'll be on the east coast, so there is a lot of fuel stops, not like in North Dakota. I do not worry to much about finding fuel, I file up when I'm down to about 1/4 tank. When I am starting to get low, I start looking at options and will pull into the station that I easier to get out of. Getting out is more important then getting in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote