Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #1

Planning the route from NY to Myrtle Beach

Well, I am a couple weeks our from our Myrtle Beach trip and it's time to start planning the route. We plan to leave around 1:00am so NYC traffic will not be an issue, but I am still debating the best route.

I am at the intersection of I684 and I84 in NY, and I am thinking:

I84 --> I81 --> I70 --> US15 --> I270 --> I495 --> I95 then the state roads into Myrtle Beach.

The alternate is:
I684 --> I287 --> I95 then bypass the Baltimore Tunnel I695 then back on I95.

Although longer, the I84 to I81 route is a smoother ride and gets me away from NYC and the tunnel, anyone have suggestions / preferences?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Not sure on other routes but we always avoid DC at all costs. We use the Eastern Shore, Rt13, Rt1, rt13 down across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Then down Rt 64 to Rt17 all the way to Myrtle. I'm from Va Beach and never go near DC. We were just there for bike week
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Eastern Shore, Rt13, Rt1, rt13 down across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Then down Rt 64 to Rt17

X2 very nice route to travel.

I too avoid I695 and I495 around Baltimore/DC and I live here.
Turn2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #4

Not sure about your route to the beach but while in town keep as much on 31 or 544 as possible to get around. the traffic has been a nightmare recently since school is getting out all over.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #5

Really good points about Washington, I've been so consumed with that tunnel and avoiding NYC than other high traffic areas which I would likely hit around morning rush!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #6

Nylon I do this route frequently a year from NY area but in a car mostly. I can tell you that there are great areas running the DE, MD, VA route from 1 to 113 to 13 to 17 but there are lights and you might run into a few gas stops with height restrictions along the route. Trucks use this route to the chicken plants so it is accessible just stopping can slow you down with a load.

The BBT (23miles long) has one gas stop north that puts it about 40 miles between fill ups then you get to go through Norfolk VA and there are a few more lights and drawbridges, traffic that you will encounter especially if a drawbridge is up or scheduled. Been there done that. not fun.

From the Dismal Swamp to New Bern is a good 3hr run with few lights(new bypasses) and not too many gas pumps to hit either. Once you hit New Bern more lights and so on. 11-12hrs to New Bern towing and 4hrs to Myrtle with no traffic. There is a KOA before the Nuese River bridge in NB if you need a pit stop.

Sooo...if I were towing I would leave 84 Newburg area at 10PM go 287 to NJ turnpike to 95 and get through DC area by 5AM then take the 501 right into MB from there. If you can get past Richmond, VA before 6AM you should be good.

Coming back however you will need to consider the same rules with getting past Richmond and DC area. The 64 feed from Williamsburg and VA beach can be a disaster during weekends and other parts of the week so try to avoid leaving at peak AM times if at all possible. I've seen it backed up for miles and miles.

I've heard bad things about the 81 route but only one source so can't comment on that routing. I've done it every time of the day and night seems to be best for 95. Daylight has always been a disaster. If you leave south at 5PM though I have had good luck in doing that where you hit DC 10PM or later.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote