Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

playing a dvd from entertainment center

Want to install a tv in bedroom of travel trailer. I have a 24 rks whitehawk. If you play a dvd in the entertainment center, can you watch it in either television.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

Don't know if it differs between a Whitehawk and a Greyhawk, but we have televisions in the living and bed rooms and can play a DVD in the Clarion in-dash unit and watch it on either TV.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Don't know if it differs between a Whitehawk and a Greyhawk, but we have televisions in the living and bed rooms and can play a DVD in the Clarion in-dash unit and watch it on either TV.
Hi NC Roamer,

We have a 14' Greyhawk 31FS. I was trying to get the clarion DVD to play on the overhead or rear TV with no success. Can you please tell me how you were able to do this. The TV's have component cables that I assume go to the clarion unit, but even reading the manual I came up empty. Thanks.
landinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

landinj, I cannot recall off the top of my head the incantations that magically made this happen. (Actually, there are a lot of things these days that I cannot recall when I want to. This is but one item in an ever changing list.)

We are heading for Myrtle Beach State Park tomorrow after work. When I pop in a DVD, I'll write down the button sequence and post it here.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 05-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

landinj, the good news is that I was able to play a DVD movie on the front TV this weekend. Our front TV is a Jenson. After powering it up, I used the Jenson remote to press "Source" and then scroll down to the "Component/AV" menu item. Then hit "Enter" to select that input. In my case, that is the Clarion unit in the dash.

Then I just inserted the DVD movie in the Clarion and it began playing. I could see it on both the Clarion screen and on the Jenson TV. Using the Clarion remote you can pause/play/eject and control the volume. The sound plays from the in-ceiling Greyhawk speakers as well as the in-door Ford speakers. Note: Unless you want to meet your neighbors, make sure the indoor/outdoor speaker selector switch by the door is set for the indoor speakers.

The bad news is that my Clarion now refuses to play a video DVD or a music CD. I went out to the Greyhawk to write down the steps to play a movie on the bedroom TV, but when I try to load a DVD or CD it ejects it with the "Invalid disc" error on the screen. I'll open a new thread on this to see if anyone can provide a hint.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 05-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog4kneer View Post
Want to install a tv in bedroom of travel trailer. I have a 24 rks whitehawk. If you play a dvd in the entertainment center, can you watch it in either television.
Getting back to the O.P., I'm pretty sure TT's (like ours) are wired differently than MH's. On mine (at least), there's only one set of RCA jacks coming out of the Jensen, and only one set of three wires going directly into the back of the living room television. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same way in your WhiteHawk. When I purchased the television for my TT bedroom, I bought one with a built-in DVD player - just so I'd have the ability to watch a DVD in the bedroom. They're not as easy to find as they use to be, but there are a few out there - and I've never seen one with a built-in Blue-Ray player. Take a look at Best Buy, or try Walmart's website (I haven't found any in Walmart stores). I got mine at Target. It's made by Polaroid, and I wouldn't recommend it. It has a fantastic picture, but the tuner sucks! When I ran it off rabbit ears, I couldn't get any channels below #15. Seems to work much better on the TT antennae, and it worked great off the campground cable at my winter site. It ate a DVD one time. Couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. Was just about to get a new TV, when, one day, it magically popped out. Haven't had any trouble with it since. It also gets very poor reviews on Target's website. (I didn't read them until after I'd purchased it.)

Hope this helps. Best of luck, and happy camping!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

Thanks NC Roamer. I did the same on ours but when I select component on the TV for input source, I get a no signal message. My guess is that the component cables on the back of the Clarion unit are not plugged in or plugged in incorrectly.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

NC Roamer - make sure you didn't inset a blue ray disc, if so you will get an invalid disc message. Has to be DVD.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by landinj View Post
NC Roamer - make sure you didn't inset a blue ray disc, if so you will get an invalid disc message. Has to be DVD.
Good thought but I do not own any blue ray discs. Also, I tried to replay the very same movie that we had watched on the Clarion last weekend.

Contacted our dealer today. They ordered a replacement unit this afternoon. That two-year Jayco warranty is great.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 05-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landinj View Post
Thanks NC Roamer. I did the same on ours but when I select component on the TV for input source, I get a no signal message. My guess is that the component cables on the back of the Clarion unit are not plugged in or plugged in incorrectly.
Did you check that the cables on the back of your TV are plugged into the "component video in" jacks? The Clarion is not easily checked, but the TV is.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #11

I decided to post my question in this thread since it (sort of) relates to my question. I just found out that the DVD will play in my Jensen in-dash player (2017 Greyhawk). The bedroom TV is perfect and the sound it perfect. The Living Room TV, however, plays the video but it is in BW and very "grainy".

Looking at the back of the Furrion TV there are several composite jacks (none of which match the yellow of the video jack) and the yellow composite video feed is plugged into (it was blue or green) composite video receptacle on the bottom of the TV. (The red and white audio cables are plugged into the side of the unit correctly, but there doesn't seem to be a yellow one on the TV.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Just for record purposes, I found the answer here: If I have red, white, and yellow cable and the smart TV has no yellow hole then what color do I put the yellow in? [Solved] - Home Theatre - Streaming Video & TVs

It is the green connector that the yellow cable is plugged into. The TV has to be configured (in the menu) to have that port function as the video input.
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #13

I have a question, can you watch the tvs while driving? Every time we try as soon as we turn the key the tvs shut off. We have read through the manuals and tried everything but can't figure it out. Wanted the kids to be able to watch tv while traveling.
Jenm514 is offline   Reply With Quote