Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

Porta-Bote : Folding Boat

Does anyone here have one of these folding boats?

Porta Bote | The Revolutionary Folding Boat

I've been looking at inflatables and small kayaks. This looks interesting. I especially like the RV mounting option.

If you have one, what do you like about it? What don't you like?

Any input would be great.
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #2

MrScary: I've had a porta bote for over 3 years now and we really like it!
We have a 26 ft Starcraft 235fb travel trailer and my wife and I like to fish, but we always had to fish from shore. But with the porta bote, we can get out on the water wherever we go camping.

We bought a 12 footer, which is a good size. I can handle it myself if I have to (the folded up hull is about 75 lbs), but usually the wife also helps. The 14 footer would be too big and heavy for me alone. Since your TT is only 20 ft, you may want to go for a 10 ft boat. That big window on the driver's side of the TT may be tough to work around. Some people mount the PB under the trailer, if you've got enough road clearance. Or you can just strap it to the top of your van, that would be the easiest thing to do.

I have a large duffel in which I keep the seats, transom (newer porta botes have a folding transom that stays in the hull) and a 40 lb thrust trolling motor. It literally takes only about 10 minutes to put together once you get the knack of it.

The floor of the boat is a little squishy, but you get used to that and can even stand up in it to fish. Join the Yahoo group porta bote forum to find lots of mods that people have done to their botes. I've added a bow-rigged anchor hanger and some rod holders.

You might hear a lot of criticism of portabote, but it nearly always comes from people who've never been in one. I don't know any PB owners who don't like their bote.

I mounted mine to the side of my TT. Here is my post from a few years ago that shows exactly how I did it. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...iler-7457.html
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #3

Thank you for the information! I knew someone here would respond.

I am going to have to think about how this could work. I just received the pricing and realize this may need to be on my wish list for next year.

Thanks again!
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

Another possibility to consider is the Ally "skin on frame" canoe. The 16.5 foot boat weighs 45 pounds, can load 800 pounds, and can pack into a bag. This is the route I plan on taking, but the canoe certainly is pricey.

That said, I do see the Porte-botes show up on Craigslist fairly regularly, so I expect you should be able to find a good deal on a used one.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

In my monthly Trailer Life magazine I see an ad for Sea Eagle inflatable boats. They are supposed to fit in a duffle bag and inflate in minutes. Some you can mount a motor to.

Storage is definately something to consider.

https://www.seaeagle.com/MotormountBoats
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
Another possibility to consider is the Ally "skin on frame" canoe. The 16.5 foot boat weighs 45 pounds, can load 800 pounds, and can pack into a bag. This is the route I plan on taking, but the canoe certainly is pricey.

That said, I do see the Porte-botes show up on Craigslist fairly regularly, so I expect you should be able to find a good deal on a used one.
I did no know about the Ally.....Now I have to go spend some money.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I did no know about the Ally.....Now I have to go spend some money.
I guess we're in the same boat :-)

I'm still trying to find the best price ... it is rare to see these for sale second-hand. REI sells them. It is my understanding that REI gives members a 20% off one item coupon once a year. Also, REI has a credit card that gives $100 store credit for opening. On top of that, REI gives a "dividend" to members once a year that can be 10% of the purchases made. All of this gets the price down to a more reasonable number ... but it is still pricey :-)

Anyone on the JOF have an Ally they don't need anymore? :-)

For the record, there is also Pakcanoe. They are similar in price to the Ally, and I do see these on craigslist (not as often as porta-bote, but more frequently than Ally anyway). The nice thing about the folders on Craigslist is that the Ally or Pakcanoe should be reasonably easy to ship. There is a Pakcanoe available in Florida right now.

All of Craigslist

Folding 15' canoe Pakcanoe

For me, it's Ally or nothing!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

I am looking for one also. The ones that I have seen around Phoenix have been real close to the buying price from the store and are years old. Will find one in the future.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

I do understand the idea of finding the right price. However, at 65 I am also into understanding that time spent on the water is more valuable than good deals.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #10

I'm sure ALLY is a well made boat, but geeze louise, you'd have to be an engineer to fiure out how all of those poles go together! Looked at some youtube vids and set-up looks like a bear.

Give me something easier....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I'm sure ALLY is a well made boat, but geeze louise, you'd have to be an enginner to fiure out how all of those poles go together! Looked at some youtube vids and set-up looks like a bear.

Give me something easier....
Yes, the videos give me nostalgia for my hang gliding days ... Lots of aluminum pieces that have to go together a particular way. I do like puzzles though