Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Portable Fire Pit

* Make that "Portable Fire Pit" * I can't seem to edit the title and must not know how to read.

We just took our TT out for it's first night. We went to the state park that is closest to us and that we have tent camped at many times. We found out, after we were there, that none of the rv sites have fire pits/rings (many of the tent sites do.) If we bring our own, it has to be off the ground.

Anyone use a portable pit? Suggestions? I don't want a huge investment and our 23 MB has limited storage space so it can't be too big or cumbersome. Also, if you do use one any tips on clean up/storage? I don't cook, extensively, over fire (baked potatoes, corn on the cob, hot dogs, and marshmallows are about the extent at this point) but I sure do like having a couple beers sitting by it at night.
KScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

This is no doubt bigger than probably you want to deal with, however firewood comes in lengths and if you have to cut it, thats a hassle. I'm able to fit this under the rear bunk through with legs removed and have to route through the inside. It is pretty HD and thick metal, MUCH more so than the crap you find at the grocery store or Target or whatever. It has legs that come off, a very nice thick removeable cooking grill and both fire tools and a sort of cooking thing as well as a screen top so you can go to bed or leave the site for a while and be more relaxed about fire risk from sparks and embers - although leaving unattended fire is not good idea its done all the time. Even the vents have screening. I'm pretty impressed, but you may want a smaller version.

Landman firepit-grill
Old 05-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

Good call on not wanting to have to cut firewood down! Thanks for the link.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

I have this one and really like it - Camp Chef Portable Fire Pit

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

That looks like a nice set up, but it's propane only, right? I would like to be able to cook in the coals of the wood so it will have to be wood burning.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KScamper View Post
That looks like a nice set up, but it's propane only, right? I would like to be able to cook in the coals of the wood so it will have to be wood burning.
You should be able to pull the propane burner out and just use wood. I've been looking for the same thing (wood only) and all the ones I've looked at the propane burners can be removed. Lowes has one I'm thinking of getting and I might look at it today just to compare it to the ones shown in above posts.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Washing machine drums make amazing fire pits. We have been using them on the beach around here for 20+ years, but I am still surprised how many folks stop by my camp to ask about it still. They are full of drain holes, so the allow the fire to breath extremely well. They are cheap, around here they are $20 on CL every day. I bolted pipe flanges to the bottom of mine so I can simply use any length threaded pipe I want as legs to get the hight I need. Most importantly they burn so hot with all the holes that there is very little ash and create a strong vortex that pushes any smoke well above your head.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #8

I have a propane fire pit and love it...last year we were on a week long trip and half way thru and park announced a campfire ban... Propane pits were allowed which we pulled out. It was the oddest feeling to be the only campers to have a camp fire. We invited campers across from us over. With the amount that the parks charge for firewood, it works out cheaper to use the propane fire pit.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #9

We picked up a propane pit from Costco this season for 80 bucks. In addition to being able to use it during fire bans we figure we'll smell a lot better in the morning as well! Although what's a weekend away without smelling like campfire.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 AM   #10

Have seen a propane pit that the guy spot welded 4 tabs inside just above the propane burner that he laid a grate on to hold his fire wood...........he had the best of both worlds without much effort and as he put it, easiest method in the world to start a wood fire. All stored in an easy to store canvas tote.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #11

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58031-Ca...e+red+campfire

I have one of these. I also have the cooking grate, but havent used it yet.

I love my Little Red Campfire! Super convenient, not very big, but definitely adequate for our little clan. No smokey clothes, and at the end of the evening, I just turn it off and go to bed!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #12

I should add that my pit, the instructions for the one I linked to in post #2 says to use about 2" of sand in the bottom to keep it from glowing red and damaging the metal, causing corrosion, etc. I'm not sure how much hassle this will be for a quick weekend trip to have to clean out the sand and disassemble, and store the firepit. Honestly we haven't' used it yet due to circumstances (campground pit, high wind, timing, etc.) And I would not have gotten such a big one if I had to do over, but it was a black Friday deal on Amazon and jumped on it.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #13

Pick up a Weber kettle off Craigslist or an auction, cut the legs off to the height you wish. Cheap, about the same size as the others mentioned and ready to cook on if you desire. They come in 14", 18" and 22" so you can have some size option.
Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #14

WE carry the standard LOWES 30-inch type fire pit.

Most camp grounds DO NOT allow you to bring in your own firewood. I would call the campground before bringing any firewood from home.

Most every campground we have gone to always has firewood available to use.

We setup our small fire pit close to the patio area and have never had any problems with having it with us. Sometimes the camp grounds have a ban on any open fire but this is always known before we show up...

We really enjoy having our small firepit with us...

We usually end up on the beach at LAKEWOOD Mytrle Beach in the SEP/OCT time frame. All of the campers setup on the ocean side front roll really have a variety of different type firepits going. Makes for a nice walk down the ocean side street seeing what everyone is using...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #15

We have a medium size propane (we bought it at Cabela's) fire pit we like it especially on hot summer nights since we can adjust the flame height so there is not to much heat and everyone can sit around the fire
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Most camp grounds DO NOT allow you to bring in your own firewood.
Not true everywhere. Most in the mid-west do, for now anyway. In WI SPs there is a limit of no wood farther than 10 miles from the park. That's down from 25 a few years ago. There's talk in WI that they may soon only allow wood sold in the parks.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Not true everywhere. Most in the mid-west do, for now anyway. In WI SPs there is a limit of no wood farther than 10 miles from the park. That's down from 25 a few years ago. There's talk in WI that they may soon only allow wood sold in the parks.

The problem is the emerald ash borer that has come into our country from all the imports from China.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #18

Cabelas makes a fire ring that breaks down into 4 pieces.

Cabela's Great Outdoors Fire Rings : Cabela's

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #19

We also bought a propane fire pit from Costco. We love it because as others have said, we can use it everywhere -- including RV parks that don't allow wood fires and we don't smell like smoke the next day. (Nor do our pillows from sleeping on them with "smokey hair!)
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote