Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Smile Portable Waste Water Tanks

I just like to get you opinions on this portable tanks, I've read up on what I can find, seems like most folks like the Barker brand. I wanted to also know what size I should get. I have a 32 gal black water tank on my rv. Should I get the same size portable tank? I think we definitely need the four wheel model. We need to get one since we like to camp in state parks which do not have sewerage hook up. What are your thoughts on size and brands and experience with?
lciancola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Rolly Send a message via Yahoo to Rolly
You would want to go same size or bigger. You would not want to go dumping and have some "Juice" left in the line.

http://tweetys.com/portableholdingtanks.aspx

'75 Dodge Class A Motorhome AKA "The Getto" :eek:
Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

We had a small grey tank on our last tt. But I would suppose it would depend on how long you are having to go before dumping. Do you fill up the tank in an average 3 day weekend? Are you planning on going for a full week? Maybe you need at least double the size tank? It depends on how often you are willing to trek with the portable and how often.

Good Luck and let us know what you find works for you as it may help others in the future
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #4

We have had excellent results with a Barker four wheel 42 gallon waste hauler for the past three years. We frequently camp for a week at a time at state parks in Texas that generally have dump stations rather than sewer connections. We prefer to shower in our trailer, so we can fill the grey water tank in 3-4 days and having the waste hauler means we do not have to hook up the trailer and tow it to the dump station half way through our trip. We have not needed to empty the black water tank into the waste hauler on any of our trips; we have just waited and emptied it at the dump station on our way out of the parks.

I think we paid in excess of $200 for the 42 gallon tank but it is one of the best accessories we have invested in. I heartily agree with Rolly--you want a larger capacity waste hauler than the capacity of your trailer's grey and black water tanks even if you are tempted to purchase a smaller waste hauler to save money.

The Barker waste hauler we have is easy to connect to the trailer dump outlet. Waste from the trailer enters the waste hauler through a port on top of the hauler ensuring that all of the waste flows through the connecting hose into the hauler. The separate open/shut valve on the side of the waste hauler makes it easy to drain the waste hauler into the dump station via a short hose supplied with the waste hauler.

The only adjustment I have to make is when the dump station has a raised concrete border around the dump station's inlet--in that case I carefully empty as much waste as possible by routing the discharge hose over the concrete border, then I position the waste hauler's large rear wheel on the concrete border and tilt the waste hauler slightly toward the inlet valve to ensure that all of the waste drains out of the waste hauler.

The large port on top of the waste hauler makes it easy to rinse the waste hauler prior to leaving the campground.

Because we tow with a pickup, we carry the waste hauler in the bed of the pickup. It is light enough to easily load and unload (when it is empty, of course!).

Once you have used a waste hauler you will feel rich--you know, FLUSHED with success! I'm just sayin'. . . . . .
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #5

Do you typically roll the tank to the dump station on its own wheels, or carry it there in a vehicle. 42 gallons of water is nearly 340 lbs on its own, and to put it in the bed of the truck, I'd need a ramp. But the wheels on the tank don't look they'd roll very well on the dirt and gravel roads of most campgrounds I've been to. Furthermore, there are some campgrounds here in NM where I don't know if I could push 400 lbs up and and down the hills to get to the dump station.
RedOrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

I have always towed the waste hauler on its own wheels but the campgrounds I have stayed in have had paved roads. I loop the waste hauler handle over a ball/stinger I bring with me and insert into my receiver after I remove the equalizer hitch and stow it.

I have heard of folks replacing the waste hauler's wheels with pneumatic tires, at least on the back, but I just drive very slowly to the dump station. I do lift the empty waste hauler and put it in the bed of my pickup for the trip back to the campsite.

I don't know how one would load a full waste hauler into the back of a pickup except with strong, smooth ramps and an electric winch or come-a-long. That seems like more trouble than just hooking up the trailer and towing it to the dump station.

Good luck with whatever solution you choose.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
I have always towed the waste hauler on its own wheels but the campgrounds I have stayed in have had paved roads. I loop the waste hauler handle over a ball/stinger I bring with me and insert into my receiver after I remove the equalizer hitch and stow it.
Although we had a waste hauler, we've never had to use it. Great idea of how to pull it with little effort! Thanks for the suggestion Sam/Gayle!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote