Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

positive "asian" tire tales

Just trying to even out the internet negativity so everyone with imported tires on their new trailers wont be in a white knuckle panic their whole trip. I'll admit I was a little concerned after reading a thread on tow max tires. Mine came with westlake tires (china). I just got back from an Alaska trip (From NY). Roads like the Dempster from Dawson to Inuvik were brutal. Among others. With a florida trip in march it makes about 16,000 miles on them and aside from one plug for a screw, no issues. That said ,I have a set of Maxxis on order. One load range up to "E".....Not that I'm any fan of cheap chinese products, just thought anyone with a good experience might chime in so we might get a more balanced idea.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Thanks, it is good to hear about that brand, Westlake being good for you.

The thing that makes these china tires suspect is their reputation. There are good ones, bad ones and some in between I suspect. The thing that gets my attention is try and find a Towmax dealer anywhere other than Tredit who sells them exclusively to the rv industry.

Maxxis has a great reputation and they can be purchased almost anywhere.

If I was wanting to sell rv tires, I would be very sensitive to the reputation, which comes from how they hold up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #3

Although made in China, maybe Taiwan, the Maxxis, in my opinion, are about the best ST (Special Trailer) tire made. I had a new set on our trade in and considered pulling them off and putting on the new 20MRB. However, decided to avoid the expense of mounting and re-balancing and to go with the Rainier ST's that came with the new trailer.

The Maxxis went about 5700 miles from Seattle to Michigan and back with no problems and the Rainiers performed as well on a 5400 mile to Ohio and back. The Rainiers are too new to have a reputation, yet. The Maxxis have excellent reviews!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #4

After having two Tow Max tires go bad on one 250 mile trip, I spent the $800 to put an entire set of Maxxis tires on my camper back in April. I bought Maxxis based on the comments on this forum and on other forums.

The Tow Max tires that went bad probably had less than 2500 miles on them. The camper is not yet two years old. Luckily, I dodged the bullet and got them off before they blew out. They both had bubbles and tread separation. The two that didn't have the obvious defects were already showing signs of bulging in the tread.

As far as Chinese tires go in general, after doing a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews, I put a set of 4 Kumho tires on the back of my dually last year. So far, so good. That truck is now stored in the shop in order reduce the exposure of the tires to the sun and perhaps extend their life. That truck sees less than 2000 miles per year, and tires always rot off before they wear out.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #5

Well, after 12,000 miles of rolling on towmax E rated tires, we had one blow. Replaced it with a Maxxis and got home and found that another tire was beginning to bulge. Got 3 more maxxis. 12k out out a set isn't bad, but its been two seasons (plus the time on them at the dealer) so they were due for replacement.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Well, after 12,000 miles of rolling on towmax E rated tires, we had one blow. Replaced it with a Maxxis and got home and found that another tire was beginning to bulge. Got 3 more maxxis. 12k out out a set isn't bad, but its been two seasons (plus the time on them at the dealer) so they were due for replacement.
I would be very upset if I only got 2 seasons out of a set of new tires. And I have been, I might add.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #7

I think it all comes down to plant specs. My last unit had a set of China Marathons that went 10K and 5 years problem free. This unit went one year, 3500 miles trouble free until this spring where I found a belt seprated and blister on one Tow Max from China. Since then I have put 4 new Thailand, Maxxis 8008's on and time will tell.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #8

Been happy with my Commodore ST E tires. They are only the second set the camper has had, as far as I can tell. The Marathons had a good long life (17 years) before they were replaced. They were pretty dry rotted and one blew out while I was trying to buy some time.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #9

Just a side note to consider...I happen to be big honda fan, and consider them to make high quality products. I'm looking for a new atv and I noticed that honda puts maxxis tires on most of their quads. I liked seeing that after ordering a set for the trailer.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
Just a side note to consider...I happen to be big honda fan, and consider them to make high quality products. I'm looking for a new atv and I noticed that honda puts maxxis tires on most of their quads. I liked seeing that after ordering a set for the trailer.
I have a Yamaha ATV that is ten years old with a set of Maxxis on it. Still good to go.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would be very upset if I only got 2 seasons out of a set of new tires. And I have been, I might add.
Well, the 12,000 miles I put on them, plus whatever they had getting to the dealer here in Missoula, seems right for cheap tires. I've read it many times that the kicker with ST tires is more like milk, based on date. My trailer was a new "last years model" on the lot so I'm thinking were near or past that freshness date.
I do think that most RVs are given a set of "something round" to roll on from factory to dealer. After that the consumer can buy tires.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #12

So far so good with a year and a half and about 9k miles on my Tow Max tires. That said, we'll have another ~1500 miles on them by the end of the season and I'll be replacing them with a set of Maxxis
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Well, the 12,000 miles I put on them, plus whatever they had getting to the dealer here in Missoula, seems right for cheap tires. I've read it many times that the kicker with ST tires is more like milk, based on date. My trailer was a new "last years model" on the lot so I'm thinking were near or past that freshness date.
I do think that most RVs are given a set of "something round" to roll on from factory to dealer. After that the consumer can buy tires.
There is a date code stamped on the tire. It will look for example like this 2911 which means it was made in the 29th week of 2011.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote