Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Possible delamination issue

Recently when inspecting my jayco trailer I noticed a couple of small ripples where the front meets the roof section. I have no mold or water inside the trailer. Wondering if this is due to delamination or is it caused by something else. The trailer was purchased new in 2010 and it would seem to me that if it is delamination it would be the result of a manufacturing issue but I doubt if Jayco would reimburse me to have it repaired. Thoughts on this anybody?
Barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your issue.
Might help if you let us know what model do you have?

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

Sorry to hear that you might be having an issue. Leaks can happen to any one. But delamination is something I hope I never see. Thats one reason I went with aluminum siding. Good luck.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

I have a 2010 EXP21M Hybrid and have the same ripples where the aluminum meets the rubber roof but I don't think it's delaminating. The TT is fiberglass but at the curve at the top it's aluminum then the rubber. I DO think its a bad install but it appears tight at the upper seam and I keep careful eye on it about once a month and check for any cracks and yes I had 1 leak inside just in front of the front fold-out bed.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you can, post a couple of pics of the area in question.

Delamination in most cases is caused by moisture compromising the glue that bonds the Filon and base materials together. Inspect beyond the roof seam for possible moisture entry. It's possible that it could be a product defect/assembly unrelated to moisture intrusion, may take a visit to a Jayco dealer to confirm.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

If you are tallking about ripples in the roof membrane where it meets the front cap, I have the same condition. It was there when our RV was first purchased. Mine is under the Dicor lap sealant. I noticed this ripple effect when I installed a Fantastic Fan and use Dicor around the flange. The Dicor instructions say that it can cause a roof membrane to ripple. If this is not what you are experiencing...nevermind

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your responses to my questions. My trailer is a Jayco featherlite 24T. Unfortunately mother nature just dumped a ton of snow on us and my trailer is buried. Thus I can't send any pictures nor am I currently in a position to haul it to the dealership. As noted before, I am not sure it is delamination but was wondering if other Jayco owners have had a similar experience and if so how was it corrected. Again the ripples are perhaps 4 inches long and no more than an inch high at this time. I certainly plan to have my dealership look at the trailer as soon as I can get it out of the snow but in the meantime, any information other rv'ers could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!
Barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #8

Mine are also about 4"x1" just like yours but I'm not messing with it. In order flatten that area out would involve a lot of removal and put back. You would have to take up 8' of roof seam and then down each side about 15" and I just don't trust those young min. Wage workers doing it correctly. In a 3 year old hybrid and only 1 tiny drip that I fixed with less than 1/4 tube of Dicor and about 15 min. of work, I know it's done leaking at the seam. I don't step on it or push down on it I just leave it alone.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote