Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Post PDI

Here is the deal. My new FW arrived at Dealer on Thursday. They called yesterday to see if I would come in to sign the papers this Sunday and next Friday or Sat do the two hour PDI. I told them I would be over and want power hooked up so I could do my own inspection before I sign. I plan on taking a friend who has had several RV's and go over everything we can and operate what we can. If I find any major issues I will sign nothing. If just minor stuff I see no reason not to do the paperwork and next week go thru everything again with them. I am trading my RV on this unit and was told it would be fine to bring it over next week when I do there PDI. So basically I am doing the contract tomorrow after my personal PDI but they r accepting my trade sight unseen Which I would of thought they would do a top to bottom insp before anything on a trade. What do u think
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

I wouldn't sign anything prior to a confirmed valuation on the tade-in and a full PDI.

Question: what's the benefit to YOU by signing the paperwork early?

I can't imagine one. But maybe I lack creativity.

I'd wait and tell them they'll have to wait as well.

The moment you sign those papers, your negotiating leverage is gone. You need to get what you want before signing. Be polite, but firm.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

The only advantage is my trade would already be accounted for. Anytime I have ever traded a boat or car at dealer it was fully inspected first
Rock
Old 10-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

It's a bad indication when they ask you to sign, then do the other stuff.

All the other stuff needs to be done first. Obviously, you are on the right track, but push them as far as reasonable, but try not to lose your leverage until you have pretty well exhausted yourself.

Put your pick list in writing.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Rv ones policy is paperwork first but that was not told upfront. So I will see what the deal is tomorrow. They know I am coming to do my own PDI and i will not be put on the spot. Nothing in writing about this policy and at least I get my own inspection and say see u next week to sign at your PDI
Rock
Old 11-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

This is your test of mental strength that you seem up for. As you said, when they say it is policy, ask to see it in writing...just pressurized sales talk to make you feel like the deal is slipping away, when in fact it is not slipping away.

Yes, focus on what is in writing. If it is not in writing it was never said, discussed, represented, promised, agreed to, considered, thought about, mentioned, nor can they be held to it OR you.

There are rarely any agreed to, claimed to remember, memories that makes it harder on them.

Hold onto your leverage until you are near death and after a good nights sleep.

They might be wonderful, but they are doing their best to limit their financial exposure and the chance the deal might fall through or you will find something that requires them to modify the deal in your favor.

If they don't like you anymore/not smiling and happy anymore, at the time of signature, you probably made out great.

Good luck and don't overestimate yourself, they are the experts at this process. You will do it once, they will do it every day, and it is all about selling an emotional dream, not verification and due diligence.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

I would not sign anything (policy or not) until the unit is inspected and ANY issues are corrected to your satisfaction. What are they going to do tell you they don't want to sell it to you? Until you sign the paperwork you have the upper hand on getting what you want, after that it could be and in most cases will all be empty promises. Tell them how you want it done and don't back down.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #8

When I got my 26bh I demanded the PDI/walk through to be done prior to me signing the paper work.. My dealer had no issue with it.. After I was happy with the unit they did the paper work with me and the shop guys set my WDH up for me so it was all ready to drive away..
I also did a trade in, sight unseen at the same time..it was a pup only 2 years old, but they never even looked at it and gave me the price I wanted($2000 below the price I paid for it new 2 years prior)
Remember, you are the customer, and with the $$ these things cost, make sure you get things done the way you want, not the dealer..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Sounds like the salesperson wants the commission or the dealership is trying to hit their numbers before the first business day of the next month. When I purchased the new 5er I signed the papers and then did the PDI (on the same day) and I had no problem with that. I mean, you have to trust somebody sometime . A number of years ago, I purchased a used 5er and did the PDI on that one before the papers were signed. To me, a new RV purchase is somewhat different than buying a used one.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I guess this is down to tricks and NO treats.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Last time I traded a rig, they gave me trade in value, sight unseen. No matter, I would do nothing to financially obligate me until I saw the rig and checked it out.
After you sign the paperwork, every thing changes as far as your power to purchase.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

Well the dealer RVOne has the paper I initialed along with all my order and trade stuff. How I missed it but there is a line that says dealer prep new takes up to three days. Vehicle will be paid for before dealer demo. Spent three hours with power hooked up and wife an I looked at everything we could. Not done since not Preeped was the water propane and generator. Everything else was great just a few minor door adjustments. Rv show is this week and all demo are scheduled thru next weekend. Since we both work it will now be until Nov 14 to demo and bring home. At least we did three hours before having to do the paperwork. Now the next two weeks will take a year
Rock
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
Site Team

And you will not sleep well just salivating over getting back in there.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
The only advantage is my trade would already be accounted for. Anytime I have ever traded a boat or car at dealer it was fully inspected first
Rock
How well do you know the dealer? Ours has always done our trades sight unseen.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #15

Grumpy
I do not know him. RVOne has six dealerships. He has a lot of high priced class A and fifth wheels took my TT in trade and will not even get it till Nov14 when we demo the FBTS
Rock
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

So, basically, you are saying that the dealer inserted a line in the paper work, that you missed, that absolves them from preparing and demoing the rig for you unless you pay for it in full AND you didn't actually read what you signed, so when they put that in front of you, you folded, because you really wanted that unit.

Completely understandable, but...

as a result, you were only able to do a limited PDI unless you cancelled the deal. .

Well, best of luck. I would have walked, having learned to read the paperwork better, and gone onto another good deal just around the corner.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #17

RodgerS
Well being the first new RV my TT was bought from a friend I missed the demo part. All I read about is PDI on all web sites. Pre Delievery Inspection. I assumed I did the PDI checking top to bottom than if all good paid and got a full demo. This was not a demo unit on the lot I put money down and ordered this with all my options. So why after I spent three hours doing my inspection and being very impressed walk away after a three month wait. Now they will spend several days cleaning and servicing the unit. I ran everything electrical including slides just not propane and water. All I found were a few door adjustments and a loose basement seal door. I found online that that is there policy and others also found that out and also folded as u say but still signed and all was well. When the family still works the last thing I want is to make numerous trips four hours to the next Jayco dealer. No one has a unit the way I wanted it. Like Clinton said what is your definition of IS. Well I missed demo definition. So far have been very pleased with how I have been treated
Rock
Old 11-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #18

I see nothing wrong with Rock and his wife looking over the unit for 3 hours (that was the PDI) and then signing paperwork. If the dealer is reputable at all, they will do everything in their power to make sure the customer is happy. Most likely the reason why they have that policy is that they have had too many customers back out on deals after the units were fully prepped and then had to be parked back on the lot for new customers to walk through. Then they had to re-prep for the next new owner. I fully trust our local Jayco dealer and would do it the same way if asked.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #19
Site Team

You dealer made sure you were happy. That is what matters. We are all gun shy after hearing all the bad stories of some.

Glad it worked out well for you.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #20

LiftedAWDAstro
What u said is exactly what the dealer told me. He said we do a full prep which takes several days and all the cleaning and waste time when the customer gets cold feet. I can see that point but also wanting a full demo or PDI before signing. Wife and I were impressed in the three hours we spent looking it over before the dealer even touched it. They opened it hooked a battery and power and left us to look on our own as long as we wanted. They are getting ready for upcoming Rv show and had limited time to schedule demos this week. They said might be able to get squeezed in for late sat. We did not want to put a rush on there getting it ready so put it off till the following sat. We both work and I would rather save that day of vacation for a day enjoying our Rv. Now to wait a year until November 14. Lol
Rock