Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
An electric power jack is as good as it is maintained. Most Electric Jacks are not rain proof and don't like the water intake. Cover it an you'll be fine. Also Jacks like some grease or at least some oil on the spindle. Take it apart and grease it and it will last you a life time.
I would agree with this with the notable exception of the OEM jack Jayco puts on these trailers. I babied mine, kept it covered as much as I could, and it died a slow death from water intrusion. It was only exposed once or twice. When I removed it, it hadn't rained in about a month, and I poured about a half cup of water out of the jack head.

My new jack does not take on water, and requires little or no maintenance.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #32

Jesus, I didn't know they even made covers for these OEM tongue jacks. Guess I'll add that to my list too. Thanks for the heads up. I want to keep mine alive as long as possible so I can blow my budget on my solar system vs. OEM parts replacement.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
An electric power jack is as good as it is maintained. Most Electric Jacks are not rain proof and don't like the water intake. Cover it an you'll be fine. Also Jacks like some grease or at least some oil on the spindle. Take it apart and grease it and it will last you a life time.

Permanently Lubricated
Atwood jacks are carefully designed to provide years of trouble-free use. They require little maintenance and use a rugged 12VDC electric gear motor that has been proven in years of use under adverse conditions.

I never used a cover on my Atwood and as their advertisement states it has been in every type of adverse weather over a few years without any problems. Great quality jack that is well made and reliable
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Jesus, I didn't know they even made covers for these OEM tongue jacks. Guess I'll add that to my list too. Thanks for the heads up. I want to keep mine alive as long as possible so I can blow my budget on my solar system vs. OEM parts replacement.
Just use a small trash can or a bucket. Eventually, the sun will get to it and it will degrade, but then you just "procure" another. You can usually find something that will work for cheap or free.

My biggest problem was that I couldn't keep the jack covered in transit. And it rains nearly every time we go out. So yeah, I could keep it protected while it's parked (and I did), but driving it down the road in the rain a couple times, and it was done for. Not to mention that mine had that silly little bubble level on top, in the manual crank access, that cracked after like a week of use. It literally did NOTHING to keep water from entering the jack head through that hole. It would have been far better to have a rubber plug up there.

But really, you shouldn't HAVE to cover the jack. IDK what the manufacturer is thinking with those things. They spend their lives outside, they should at least be somewhat water resistant!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Yes, they should be waterproof. But that is the "Kicker". RV manufactures should deliver their products in top shape to the customer. They don't and many have frustrations when receiving their RV.
Some Power Jacks supply a bag with the Jack but the bag isn't even water proof.
Plastic grocery back and a tight bucket and you can leave it even on when traveling.
I do.......
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #36

After moving my spare tire underneath the trailer I had a new tire cover I had no use for so it became my new jack cover. I am lucky my trailer is stored inside out of the weather but when traveling or at a camp site I place the cover over the jack and use a nylon strap to hold it in place, its waterproof since all the seams are way below the motor.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #37

Correct Electric Tongue Jack?

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 32BDSW BAJA

I am looking to put an electric tongue jack on it. I am wondering if I need a 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch shaft? The trailer is not readily available to measure. Any help is greatly appreciated.
GetRealLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #38

Hello to you. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Baja.

Sorry. I cannot help with your question. Perhaps another JOF member will know. As an option, could your dealer help?
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #39

I have an email into Jayco and my dealer. I will try to stop by there today.

Thank you for your reply.