Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I bought a Barker 3500 due to great reviews and its made in the USA. It comes with a 2 year warranty and if you ever needs parts its made in Michigan, try getting parts or talking to someone for a made in China jack. I found the best price on Amazon and etrailer was just a bit more.
This was the main reason I bought the Barker.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
Hello and Welcome to JOF,

We recently replaced our power tongue jack with a Barker VIP 3500lb 24" rise. The reason for the height, we can open the tailgate all the way down while the TT is hooked up. It really has come in handy especially when you forget to put something in the bed of the truck. You will find the 18" rise the tailgate while connected will most likely not completely clear the jack.

Barker VIP 3500 24" Black Electric Power Tongue Jack 3 500 lb 2 1 4" Post New | eBay

We chose the black because sometimes the white is prone to yellowing in the intense sun.

Hope this helps. Take Care.
X2 that's what we have.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 PM   #23

Dealer replaced mine under warranty with a Atwood 3500....working awesome so far!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #24

Lightbulb

My choice after extensive research and consumer reviews was the Atwood Jack with the "Fastway Flip Jack Foot". Excellent products. The Robofoot by Atwood is a similar device to the Flip Jack by Fastway; but my choice was the Flip Jack Foot which I preferred and has worked flawlessly always. Obviously there are other Jacks that also are good and some not as good; some more expensive than others that aren't necessarily better; but that's the beauty we have with choice.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #25

We're not crazy about the jack our 2016 came with. We had an Atwood 3500 on a previous unit; we loved it - a real workhorse. Barker makes a good product, too. We will likely swap the factory jack with either an Atwood or a Barker.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #26

Whichever one you buy, I recommend you get one with travel limit switches. Our original factory installed jack did not have them so if you jacked up the trailer too high or retracted the foot beyond a tape marker, the motor would strain and blow our 30amp fuse.

The new Husky jack we replaced it with (due to an unfortunate forgetting to raise the old jack before backing off Anderson levelers) has limit switches so if you retract the foot to the limit it just clicks off -- no blown fuses.

Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmitchell View Post
Whichever one you buy, I recommend you get one with travel limit switches. Our original factory installed jack did not have them so if you jacked up the trailer too high or retracted the foot beyond a tape marker, the motor would strain and blow our 30amp fuse.

The new Husky jack we replaced it with (due to an unfortunate forgetting to raise the old jack before backing off Anderson levelers) has limit switches so if you retract the foot to the limit it just clicks off -- no blown fuses.
Totally agree. The factory jack is pretty lame. We will be replacing it soon. Never had anything but smooth, efficient operation and no blown fuses with our Atwood.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmitchell View Post

My new Husky also came with a manual reset circuit breaker instead of a fuse. So if for some reason the limit switch doesn't work, or the jack pulls too much power (unlikely), it's just resetting a breaker instead of replacing a fuse.

Even if your new jack comes with a fuse, I would strongly consider replacing it with a breaker.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My new Husky also came with a manual reset circuit breaker instead of a fuse. So if for some reason the limit switch doesn't work, or the jack pulls too much power (unlikely), it's just resetting a breaker instead of replacing a fuse.

Even if your new jack comes with a fuse, I would strongly consider replacing it with a breaker.
Thanks for the reminder Camper Bob. I just had to checkout my 3 yr old husky to see if I have a breaker as well and it does. ITs tucked in under the battery cover. I installed a removable fuse as well to remove when not in use so no one could mess with the controls? Now I'll remember to check the breaker as well as fuse if it ever does stop working. SO far it has never failed.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
An electric power jack is as good as it is maintained. Most Electric Jacks are not rain proof and don't like the water intake. Cover it an you'll be fine. Also Jacks like some grease or at least some oil on the spindle. Take it apart and grease it and it will last you a life time.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
An electric power jack is as good as it is maintained. Most Electric Jacks are not rain proof and don't like the water intake. Cover it an you'll be fine. Also Jacks like some grease or at least some oil on the spindle. Take it apart and grease it and it will last you a life time.
I would agree with this with the notable exception of the OEM jack Jayco puts on these trailers. I babied mine, kept it covered as much as I could, and it died a slow death from water intrusion. It was only exposed once or twice. When I removed it, it hadn't rained in about a month, and I poured about a half cup of water out of the jack head.

My new jack does not take on water, and requires little or no maintenance.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #32

Jesus, I didn't know they even made covers for these OEM tongue jacks. Guess I'll add that to my list too. Thanks for the heads up. I want to keep mine alive as long as possible so I can blow my budget on my solar system vs. OEM parts replacement.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post

Permanently Lubricated
Atwood jacks are carefully designed to provide years of trouble-free use. They require little maintenance and use a rugged 12VDC electric gear motor that has been proven in years of use under adverse conditions.

I never used a cover on my Atwood and as their advertisement states it has been in every type of adverse weather over a few years without any problems. Great quality jack that is well made and reliable
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Jesus, I didn't know they even made covers for these OEM tongue jacks. Guess I'll add that to my list too. Thanks for the heads up. I want to keep mine alive as long as possible so I can blow my budget on my solar system vs. OEM parts replacement.
Just use a small trash can or a bucket. Eventually, the sun will get to it and it will degrade, but then you just "procure" another. You can usually find something that will work for cheap or free.

My biggest problem was that I couldn't keep the jack covered in transit. And it rains nearly every time we go out. So yeah, I could keep it protected while it's parked (and I did), but driving it down the road in the rain a couple times, and it was done for. Not to mention that mine had that silly little bubble level on top, in the manual crank access, that cracked after like a week of use. It literally did NOTHING to keep water from entering the jack head through that hole. It would have been far better to have a rubber plug up there.

But really, you shouldn't HAVE to cover the jack. IDK what the manufacturer is thinking with those things. They spend their lives outside, they should at least be somewhat water resistant!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Yes, they should be waterproof. But that is the "Kicker". RV manufactures should deliver their products in top shape to the customer. They don't and many have frustrations when receiving their RV.
Some Power Jacks supply a bag with the Jack but the bag isn't even water proof.
Plastic grocery back and a tight bucket and you can leave it even on when traveling.
I do.......
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #36

After moving my spare tire underneath the trailer I had a new tire cover I had no use for so it became my new jack cover. I am lucky my trailer is stored inside out of the weather but when traveling or at a camp site I place the cover over the jack and use a nylon strap to hold it in place, its waterproof since all the seams are way below the motor.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #37

Correct Electric Tongue Jack?

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 32BDSW BAJA

I am looking to put an electric tongue jack on it. I am wondering if I need a 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch shaft? The trailer is not readily available to measure. Any help is greatly appreciated.
GetRealLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #38

Hello to you. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Baja.

Sorry. I cannot help with your question. Perhaps another JOF member will know. As an option, could your dealer help?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #39

I have an email into Jayco and my dealer. I will try to stop by there today.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #40

Electric Jack Stroke Lenth

I too am looking for an electric jack. From what I have seen, I like the Husky ones. I don't think I have looked at any Barker. My question is more about the stroke length. Most look like they have an 18". One individual mentioned he had a 24". I've seen the 24" on the 3000# or 5000# Husky. I am looking at the 4500#. Do any of you know if it comes in the 24"? I don't feel like the 3000# will be enough for our set-up. I have the 32BHDS towing with Ford F350 (long bed). In addition, the axles have been flipped so the trailer is higher off the ground. With the manual jack we have, depending on where we camp (off road) we are usually high on the front end when level. The jack is often extended as far as it can go or we have to adjust more by lowering and putting another block or two under the jack. (I don't like the jack to be extended all the way). Will the 18" stroke be enough or should I look more for a 24" (of course it will be pricier)?
harleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote