Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Site Team

Prepare your home potty for the long camping trip away from home :-(

GROSS, I know!!!
Last year we left for 4 months, only to return to find that the all the home toilet bowls and drains were bone dry. Not sure if any little critters made it into the house that way, or how much sewer gas got in, but odds are, it all probably happened. So this year, I am happy to report we had a SUCCESSFUL fix to the problem. We took PLASTIC FOOD WRAP (Clear Clinging type) and stretched it over the bowls in different directions. Stayed nice and tight overlapping the ends for this years 4 month camping trip. If the kids happen to visit the house in your absence, it would probably be advisable to leave a note on each one, only kidding. (HAHA) We also put the plastic on the sink plugs, (taped over sink vents), shower drain, the laundry hose pipe, and the dish washer drain hose fitting, on the kitchen sink. Plenty of water left in the bowls upon return. This year not a hint of invaders or sewer gas. So if you were wondering, that is where they got the term "The sweet smell of SUCCESS", probably by a camper that returned from a long camping trip and smelled no sewer gas.

Or I can invent a toilet assembly that monitors the water level in the bowl and adds water as needed.. only kidding. I turn the house water valve off prior to camping.

Success!!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Or I can invent a toilet assembly that monitors the water level in the bowl and adds water as needed.. only kidding. I turn the house water valve off prior to camping.

Success!!!

Don

That's not as crazy as you think. I have a saltwater fish tank. It is imperative to keep the water level consistent because as the water evaporates, the salt remains behind. That means the remaining water has a higher salt content.

I have a sweet setup with pumps, water sensors and water containers that monitor the level of my fish tank. As soon as the water level drops a signal gets sent to the water pump to pump water into the tank until the sensor gets closed again. :-)

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Use RV anti-freeze it doesn't evaporate
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Prepare your home potty for the long camping trip away from home :-(

Pour vegetable oil in the drains. It won't evaporate and nothing to undo when you get back.
G Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
That's not as crazy as you think. I have a saltwater fish tank. It is imperative to keep the water level consistent because as the water evaporates, the salt remains behind. That means the remaining water has a higher salt content.

I have a sweet setup with pumps, water sensors and water containers that monitor the level of my fish tank. As soon as the water level drops a signal gets sent to the water pump to pump water into the tank until the sensor gets closed again. :-)

Ya don't say!!!

I also have a saltwater tank and I always get nervous while going a way for awhile.

The pump and sensors work great until one of the sensors decides to get stuck and I've had a carpet full of water!!! Needless to say the wife wasn't too happy with me!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Ya don't say!!!

I also have a saltwater tank and I always get nervous while going a way for awhile.

The pump and sensors work great until one of the sensors decides to get stuck and I've had a carpet full of water!!! Needless to say the wife wasn't too happy with me!

That's why I have a few safeguards.

1) The main float switch to control to pump.

2) If that one should fail then I have a backup float switch about an inch higher that will shut the pump off if the water hits it.

3) Finally, I have flood detectors scattered around my tank that will shut the pump off if the tank starts overflowing.

So far, the main float switch has worked exactly as it should for 2.5 years now. :-)

/end thread hijack. lol

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Bush View Post
Pour vegetable oil in the drains. It won't evaporate and nothing to undo when you get back.
We used mineral oil in all commodes and drain traps when left for Alaska. We were gone from May 9 through September 6. The water levels were about the same as when we left- no evaporation and no gross appearance. After a couple of flushes there was no residual mineral oil remaining.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Good ideas...guess i will retire the
plastic wrap
Thanks
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #9

I worked for a University for many years. When we would close up a building for an extended period we would use Mineral Oil. It works like a charm and no bad after effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taviking22 View Post
We used mineral oil in all commodes and drain traps when left for Alaska. We were gone from May 9 through September 6. The water levels were about the same as when we left- no evaporation and no gross appearance. After a couple of flushes there was no residual mineral oil remaining.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote