Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #21

I have it on my new truck and I'm look forward to seeing what I can do with it. (Oh, BTW I have been towing since I learned to drive long ago so backing up a trailer is not a problem.) I always like to see what new technology can do. Then you can see if it is something worthwhile in your application.

Side note: What I also find interesting is that some people always put down a new technology / want to imply that if someone uses something new they are less in some way. If memory serves me, power steering, power brakes, power windows, automatic transmissions etc were all options at one point yet almost every car has it as standard equipment now! I'll bet most people on the forum use GPS now rather than referring to a map. They use a cell phone rather than finding a phone booth. Its just easier. That's what the evolution of technology is all about.

I'm more interested in people being courteous / good campers and taking care of the parks etc than I am whether they can do something "the old way".
2021 Ford F350
Nothing beats a day outside camping!
EBCTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #22

So... How long will it be until we see the first post on JOF - "AC and Awning torn off using Backup Assist getting into campsite"

It takes thousands of data-points and sensors all around the trailer to insure that it is not coming into contact with another object. How many sensors will you need to install on a trailer?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
So... How long will it be until we see the first post on JOF - "AC and Awning torn off using Backup Assist getting into campsite"
That will come long after the many posts of people who tore off their awning or AC backing in the old way.

I think a few of the previous posters nailed it, it's neat technology. Do we all need it? No. Will some need it? Yes, they're probably not on this forum. They don't RV enough to join a forum.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #24

It’s on my new truck and I’ll set it up and use it. If it’s easier I’ll keep using it, if it is more work I won’t. But I also use store bought charcoal, and drink mass produced beer. I’ll never own another vehicle with a standard transmission. I like the step on my tailgate. I competed in orienteering events but use a QPS today. I even prefer to have Alexa turn on lights and change channels because a remote is more work.

If I didn’t need a truck, I’d have a self driving car.

I’ll take any tech to make my life more convenient.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #25

Spot on TaftCoach. That's how I feel about tech.

But one huge gripe I have:

We finally settled on a standard wiring for a trailer plug. Anyone remember the <good> old days when everyone had their own wiring and trailer plug? 4 pin or 5 pin? Then they came in with the straight 4 pin? It was chaos before they finally standardized.

Here is the thing I don't understand that they haven't come up with: A standard plug for extending the backup camera to the back of the trailer. This seems like a no-brainer to me. My RV is a motorhome, but I haul lots of different trailers. If they had a standard plug that bypassed the tailgate camera and let me see the view from the back of the trailer, I would be ecstatic.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Spot on TaftCoach. That's how I feel about tech.

But one huge gripe I have:

We finally settled on a standard wiring for a trailer plug. Anyone remember the <good> old days when everyone had their own wiring and trailer plug? 4 pin or 5 pin? Then they came in with the straight 4 pin? It was chaos before they finally standardized.

Here is the thing I don't understand that they haven't come up with: A standard plug for extending the backup camera to the back of the trailer. This seems like a no-brainer to me. My RV is a motorhome, but I haul lots of different trailers. If they had a standard plug that bypassed the tailgate camera and let me see the view from the back of the trailer, I would be ecstatic.
So true. The OEM cameras are dirt cheap to install all that's needed is a common connection.

The unknown is how much Furrion (etc) pays RV manufacturers to have their proprietary "camera ready" systems installed.

Ford is coming closer with their extra wiring plug for trailer assist but there is a lot of debate on the F150 forums if the wiring for the cameras was actually installed back to the display. They also didn't seem to include trailer TPMS capability through that SMART plug. I think that's what they are calling it.

I look at my 5 year old grandson and hope he leaves his house in his electric pickup and tells the truck to hook up his trailer then settles in to watch a movie while the truck does all the work. My vision of the future isn't me watching a screen lining up the ball. It's me telling him how tough I had it in my day. Hitching up in the snow.
TaftCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #27

I love your vision. Have you read the specs on the new Ford Lightning coming out next year? It looks really impressive. Not quite enough to be considered a good RV towing rig, but damn close. I don't think your dream is far off.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #28

I think if I had the time and place to play around with it I would use it but I don't. My propane tank cover blocks on the stick on my new x213 so I didn't use it the first time I took the camper out. I think it would be useful if you have a back up a long distance but when backing in your camper your usually doing a quick turn, not driving backwards down the street.

There is a PRO backup assist that I think comes with newer F250/350's that seems to be much better then what we have with the 150's.
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
If I didn’t need a truck, I’d have a self driving car.

I’ll take any tech to make my life more convenient.
Took a work road trip to Milwaukee 2 weeks ago. Once I jumped on the freeway. I was looking at the buttons on the rental car. I pushed a button on the steering wheel that I was unfamiliar with. From that point on the rental car basically drove itself all they way there. Adaptive cruise, adjusted the speed as needed. If I turned on the turn signal, I had to physically changed lanes. Signal off, it drove again. One time, it dinged at me to put my hands on the wheel. They were on at the moment, braced on my knees thou. Other times I had my hands sitting completely on my knees ready to grab the steering wheel at a moments notice. It felt REALLY weird, especially in the corners, but did not ding. It handled corners nicely. On the way home it dinged probably 4-5 times when I was doing the same.

It was way better at staying centered in the lane than my wife's new car with lane assist. Her car wander within the lane. Her car will stay in the lane most of the time, struggles with corners, and seems to always be making steering corrections. This rental car was rock solid, smooth de/accelerations, smooth lane tracking, even as it passed an exit/merge lane. It would be awesome to try this feature in a truck hauling a trailer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #30

I hooked up the sensor, no more stickers. Five minutes and it was calibrated. Blind side monitoring extends the length of the trailer. The 360 camera is great for those tight spots where there is a chance to clip the TV front end. The camera zooms in on the ball and makes lining up much easier.

As far as clearance and ripping off an awning or AC this isn’t a hands free system. The driver is using a knob instead of a wheel and in a better position to monitor the cameras and mirrors. The same mistakes that would lead to an accident are still there and still the driver’s responsibility. I don’t believe this makes anyone an instant pro at backing a trailer. There will still be a learning curve.

This seems less like magic and more along the lines of automatic transmissions, power steering that adapts to slow speeds, backup cameras, TPMS, etc. If you avoid learning something new, this isn’t for you. If you like going old school this isn’t for you.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #31

If you need it probably should not be towing.
Digsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #32

Yep. Power steering, automatic transmission, power jacks, automatic levelers, WD hitches, electric brakes, air bags, rear cameras. Yep, most folks shouldn't be towing.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsdeep View Post
If you need it probably should not be towing.

Wow what’s “deep” comment.
bamorris is offline   Reply With Quote