Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

Pro-Trailer Backup Assist

Just bought a 2016 F150 w Pro Trailer Backup Assist. Wondering if anyone has used it with their TT, and what did you think?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Wonder where the name comes from? I've known and ridden with dozens of professional drivers over the years and never seen any of them use any "device" to accurately and safely back up their rigs. Will be interested in how this helps ford sell trucks. Suspect it is targeted at folks who don't tow very often or have chosen not to spend the practice time to learn how to back up their tows.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #3

Interesting comment Bassdogs...I see all the fancy electronics and safety assists on new vehicles and wonder why they're really necessary. Both of our vehicles are 2014 and have many of the assist features but I don't rely on them. The back up cameras are helpful but I've spent so many decades behind the wheel that I still actually look behind me when I back up.
I learned to parallel park almost 50 years ago and can still park in almost any spot on the first shot....no assist needed. I check my mirrors and keep safe distances from other cars on the road. I pay attention to my surroundings and don't out drive my headlights. Funny how we think we need all the electronics to park our cars, warn us if a car is in our blind spot and stop the car if we're getting too close. What happens if something happens to the fancy electronics?
Guess I'm just from an old school....learn the skills folks and put them to use!
IMHO. Sorry for the rant....
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Grandpa View Post
Interesting comment Bassdogs...I see all the fancy electronics and safety assists on new vehicles and wonder why they're really necessary. Both of our vehicles are 2014 and have many of the assist features but I don't rely on them. The back up cameras are helpful but I've spent so many decades behind the wheel that I still actually look behind me when I back up.
I learned to parallel park almost 50 years ago and can still park in almost any spot on the first shot....no assist needed. I check my mirrors and keep safe distances from other cars on the road. I pay attention to my surroundings and don't out drive my headlights. Funny how we think we need all the electronics to park our cars, warn us if a car is in our blind spot and stop the car if we're getting too close. What happens if something happens to the fancy electronics?
Guess I'm just from an old school....learn the skills folks and put them to use!
IMHO. Sorry for the rant....
No Rant when you speak the truth that is backed up with experience! So much of the new technology comes out of think tanks that dream up for gadgets that coddle the many who for what ever reason choose not to learn how to do stuff. They even have guns now that aim themselves. If that's not a scary thing, I don't know what is. Much of the technology is very good as a backup to good training or an assist such as power steering or anti-lock brakes but if someone can't park a car or stay between the white lines, they have no business behind the wheel. I'd accept the usefulness for something like a lane control function if it forced the car to pull to the side of the road when it detected a driver who was unable to maintain control of their vehicle. All of this stuff is another brick in the wall for those who think driverless cars is not only the thing of the future, but also believe that it will somehow greatly enhance our way of life.

I for one am beginning to accept that while much of these innovations will become "state of the art" eventually, I will have moved on to that peaceful CG down the road of life long before then.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

Peoples attention span is very short nowadays. I agree with Bassdogs and Camping Grandpa
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

I would never trust it to do what they show it to. I trust my eyes and my wife to guide me and she hasn't failed to get me backed in safely and without incident so far. Just like GPS I love it but I still have a paper map and know the route I want to take before I head out. I do love my backup camera though on my truck. It will put me right under the trailer hitch without getting out of the truck to check 10 times lol. I still need the wife to make sure the trailer hitch is high enough for me to back under though.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

I have a 2016 F150 with Backup Assist. I didn't want it but it came with the Tow package. I may use it with my boat trailer to head down the boat ramp. It won't work with a 5er (by design).

For those of you who haven't see it - you put a special sticker on the trailer tongue. Then you calibrate the sticker with the system (won't go into how here). Then when you're backing, the backup Camera 'sees' the sticker and can tell if your trailer is straight or at how much of an angle.

There is a knob on the dash - you turn the knob the direction you want the trailer to go and the onboard computer, looking at the backup camera, puts the trailer in that amount of angle.

I guess my biggest problem with backing a boat trailer down a ramp (when retrieving a boat) is staying straight in the ramp lane. Yea, Yea I know - get a reference point on the side of the trailer in the mirrors and steer it straight by that. I still wind up "snaking" down the ramp.

I assume (haven't had the truck long enough to get to boat season yet) that the backup assist will help with this. Basically if the knob is in the middle, the computer is going to straighten the car/trailer out and keep it straight.

In summary - I think it might help back a trailer where you need to keep it straight for a long distance (like a boat ramp). Can't see it helping me back on into a campsite but I'd love to hear someone who's used it with a travel trailer. Won't help with a 5er at all because it doesn't have a tongue to put the sticker on.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I have a 2016 F150 with Backup Assist. I didn't want it but it came with the Tow package. I may use it with my boat trailer to head down the boat ramp. It won't work with a 5er (by design).

For those of you who haven't see it - you put a special sticker on the trailer tongue. Then you calibrate the sticker with the system (won't go into how here). Then when you're backing, the backup Camera 'sees' the sticker and can tell if your trailer is straight or at how much of an angle.

There is a knob on the dash - you turn the knob the direction you want the trailer to go and the onboard computer, looking at the backup camera, puts the trailer in that amount of angle.

I guess my biggest problem with backing a boat trailer down a ramp (when retrieving a boat) is staying straight in the ramp lane. Yea, Yea I know - get a reference point on the side of the trailer in the mirrors and steer it straight by that. I still wind up "snaking" down the ramp.

I assume (haven't had the truck long enough to get to boat season yet) that the backup assist will help with this. Basically if the knob is in the middle, the computer is going to straighten the car/trailer out and keep it straight.

In summary - I think it might help back a trailer where you need to keep it straight for a long distance (like a boat ramp). Can't see it helping me back on into a campsite but I'd love to hear someone who's used it with a travel trailer. Won't help with a 5er at all because it doesn't have a tongue to put the sticker on.
Like most things the ads don't go into detail about how something will help you, just give those starwars style headlines and lead you to believe you can just push a button and finish your morning coffee and the truck will park your TT. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

Its funny bc I could probably guess the ages of the guys that post that they are better at backing up the trailer themselves than some electronic and are totally against new technology. I understand its a pride thing. My father inlaw and father said the samethings when I told them my F150 had Pro back up assist. Not trying to offend anyone. Just pointing out the difference between generations.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #10

No offense taken. Tech is not a bad thing , I have lots of techy stuff, but when it fails us old guys just switch gears and fall back on skills we learned before the gadgets.
Ain't no tech gadget backing up my truck, car or RV. That's what good judgement, mirrors and a partner are for.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #11

Taddkiser07,
I hear you - and it more of a pride thing than a technology thing for me.
But I've been a serial technology entrepreneur for 35 years. I wrote code on an Altair Micro Computer using Altair Basic - which was Bill Gates first product. I've been on the bleeding edge of most of the technology revolutions and I love me some good tech.

But my Father in Law just bought a new TV. It's his first "Smart" TV. He called from Florida tonight because he was afraid to plug it in for the first time :-). The Instructions said that it would start configuring itself when turned on for the first time and that made him nervous.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #12

I totally understand....the crazy thing is (all ages) you would be suprise how many men do not know how to back-up a trailer with no technology. Growing up my dad taught me use the mirrors and not turn around and look out the back window. The back window will not always be there, but your mirrors will. There are less and less good old boys. With times getting harder you are getting more city folk buying campers and they have never backed up a trailer in their life. Ford is targeting these people with this technology to help them feel more comfortable.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #13

F150 Pro backup assist sticker placement

I have an F150 with Pro Backup Assist and recently purchased a new Jayco tow-trailer. To be honest, I've never used the backup assist. I've always used my mirrors to back up a trailer and never saw a need for the truck to steer for me. The new camper is bigger than my old one and a bit more difficult to maneuver. I figured I'd set up the backup gizmo and see if it helps in tight spaces. I was surprised to find that I can't locate the decal on the A-Frame as directed by the F150 towing guide. The guide specifies no closer than 7" from the ball. If I try to position it that far back, the propane storage cover is in the way. I positioned it a bit closer, 5" I think, but the F150 setup won't let me put a number in there less than 7. I lied and put a 7 in there. It seems to work backing in a straight line but it loses track of the camper position when making turns. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what have you done to fix this?
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #14
Site Team

I had a similar situation with my TT. With the position of the propane tank and tongue jack, the system simply loses track of the sticker depending on the angle that you are attempting to back up.

I did set it up on one of my small utility trailers. It works much better when the system can have an unobstructed view of the sticker.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:12 PM   #15

I had this problem on my JayFeather, I haven't tried setting it up on my Whitehawk.

The system is a cool idea, especially for those new to towing. I have a friend who can't back up a result for the life of him, but loves camping. This would be perfect for him.

The system automatically straightens you out and doesn't allow you to jackknife.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:48 PM   #16
Site Team

Our 2016 F150 (pre enjoyed) came with that feature, but I still prefer to use the mirrors. Our TT isn't very big, and the stickers are still in the glove box. I don't even use the back up camera that much either. The warning sensors are great, since the truck JUST fits in the garage. That, and a piece of board on the floor for the back tire to nudge against when I'm in far enough for the garage door to close.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #17

Ive got it on my 2019 F-150. Used it once. Found out I really dont need it.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #18

I have it on my 2020 F150. I think if I need that then I dont need to be pulling a trailer. I think its for the millennials of today
TMTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:09 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you're raised as a self-thinker, you do not need gadgets of control.
Those who use gadgets of control are easier to be controlled.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #20

I set it up just because I'm a gadget guy. Haven't used it since I set it up...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote