Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Propane gensets

After reading many, many posts regarding batteries, solar power and gensets, never have I seen (albeit because of my incompetence) any reference to PROPANE GENERATORS, regardless of whether they be permanent or portable. I, and perhaps others, would appreciate anyone's advice having experience with these. Without trying to influence any responses, I believe I understand some truisms about these gensets - correct me if I'm misinformed: 1 - they've @ 10-20% less sustained power than either gas or diesel; 2 - they may require more attention regarding oil consumption than either gas or diesel; 3 - obviously, they require appropriate regulator and hose for the propane tank; 4 - carbeurator is less difficult to maintain vis a vis a gas carb; and there may be other considerations I've not considered. Shame on me for asking after the fact, but after reading what's been available, I've ordered a 2000 GENSET (not inverter), propane-powered genset (68 DBA - but not for campgrounds). Having said/asked all that, please don't hesitate to provide your experiences/opinions. - Jeff
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Team

My biggest concern with a LP genset would be the availability of a fuel supply and weight of the required fuel needed to use it in the boonies.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

Jeff,
I have a Champion LP powered model #100215 that I use for backup power at home to keep the furnace pilot and few lights on and keep food from spoiling in the freezers. I fuel the generator from my main house supply tank (1000 gal) It does put out around 10% less power than a similar gas model champion had offered with the same 224cc motor. Unlike some of LP conversion kits or LP carburetors, which use liquid service tanks, my champion generator uses vapor service cylinders and requires no carburetor, so no fears of gummed up fuel in the carburetor if you don't run it for a while. I have never had to add oil, only changed it, but it always looks much cleaner than the oil from my gas engines. even after it ran for 2 1/2 days straight during outage the oil was very clean and clear still. I am expecting a very long service life from this gen.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #4

When I owned a S&B in NJ, I had an Onan 16KW natural gas backup generator for my all electric house. The only maintenance was changing the oil & filter twice a year, and the plugs every other year. Had it for over 10 years will no problems.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

My experience: gasoline vs natural gas vs propane. I HAVE NO DIRECT DIESEL EXPERIENCE (unless my 30 year old past military experience counts (a moot point as I had no input to its use or price input).

I'm unsure of what the previous posters are saying - but this is my experience.

After Hurricane Katrina (2005?) I decided a back-up genset was for me (for a permanent home use). I decided against gasoline because it was unstable and more difficult to store over a long period of time. So my choices went towards choosing either natural gas or propane. I chose propane because it provided more energy output (something like 13KW vs 15KW) over using the very same genset.

Eleven? years later I'm still happy. For many years I used to change the generator spark plugs annually, as per the maintenance schedule, but have since gone to two year changing interval. At two years these spark plugs still look new - so this cheap charlie has now taken to subbing them in to my lawn tractor (they use the same spark plug).

I've found that in my gasoline burning tractor (Deere x540) that both the spark plug and oil (even with lesser annual hours) appear quite black - with carbon. I suspect that regardless if you use propane or natural gas it will be golden - vs. gasoline.

Scientific? I don't know, but I'm happy with a choice outside of a gasoline powered genset.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #6
Site Team

The people that I know who have gensets in rv's and at homes prefer and speak highly of the LP models for reliability, and ease of maintenance.

As noted by another poster, I like to keep it simple so hauling and keeping up with 3 fuel sources makes like complicated for me.

I once had a Onan gas powered unit and it was a constant source of trouble. If I ever had a need to make the decision again, I would choose the LP version for a built in genset.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Am a gas generator man and also tow with a duramax. The 3 fuel thing is not a problem as a small 2 1/2 gal red can plus the gallon in my Honda 2000 will run for a week with an hour in the am and maybe 5 hours in the evening. I can refill the portable can when we are out and about buying groceries or just touring. Doing it with gas does not use up my propane that is primariy used for heat and cooking. When needing AC I pair up a 2nd Honda. A gas gennerater is more portable since you are not dragging around extra tanks. When used in a permanent location for back up power at home, a propane makes more sense. Dragging around extra propane tanks when camping seems a whole lot more of a pain than a small gas can.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #8

Power outage today

So the power went out tonight......
Champion propane generator fired up first pull.
What a great feeling
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote