Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #1

Propane tank levels

“Nopeka Tank Check”, Anyone use, or have experience with it? I’m constantly trying to come up with ways to monitor the propane level in my RV tanks. I’ve tried pouring hot water over the tank and feeling for cool. It does not seem to work for me. It is a pain in the @$$ to remove them and weigh. I was surfing the web and happened onto the Nopeka Tank Check system and thought, If they work as advertised, one only has to push a button from the comfort of your easy chair to check the fuel level. What is your method?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Got it, works great so far and best I can tell is very accurate. Just got my tank filled and it reads 100%.

Previously had one of the inline guages on it, guage said we had about 25% left in our 20# tank based on a "cool" day so I took it up the U-Haul to have it refilled prior to our camping trip....it took 0.4 gallons. Proceded to drive home and throw that stupid little guage in the trash can where it belongs.

With a single 20# tank and us camping all through the winter in the middle of nowhere Tn State Parks, tank level becomes a little more critical. Tank Check has been very well worth the cost for us.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

I bought one of these and find it pretty handy. Downside is I have to remember to use it (and it doesn't work from the comfort of my easy chair).
http://http://www.moscapeng.com/GasCheck.html

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

I do it the easy way. I only open the valve on one tank at a time. When that one goes dry, I know I have one full tank left to find a fill or swap station. It's low tech, and pretty foolproof unless you forget that you already emptied one tank.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I do it the easy way. I only open the valve on one tank at a time. When that one goes dry, I know I have one full tank left to find a fill or swap station. It's low tech, and pretty foolproof unless you forget that you already emptied one tank.
We have done the same for years.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #6

I have both thanks open. I know about how long a tank lasts depending on the weather. I check the switch over gauge every three or four days, when it's red I take that tank and fill it. Most times, in the typical camping season a 30 gal tank will last about a month. In colder weather, perhaps a week. Never been an issue, been doing this for years. If I had only one 20lb tank I would get another.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

Do you have a single tank or a dual tank setup?

With a single tank you need to be more aware. If you have your tank refilled, find a shop that charges by the gallon, and it does not matter if you still have a few pounds left in the tank. If you use a tank exchange, stop it, and find a filling station as it is a lot cheaper, and you get more fuel per tank.

We have a dual tank, with an auto switch over. I only open one tank valve at a time. I also know that a single #20 tank lasts me about 40 nights of camping. Water heater is turned on when we need it, and then turned off, so it does not just cycle on and off wasting gas.

I also carry a #11 pound tank for my outdoor stove, and it typically lasts me a full season.

With some time and experience you learn your usage. I have turned on my second tank a couple times at night when the weather is questionable and I know that I am getting close to running out. If I run out while cooking dinner, oh-well, dinner will be a few minutes late, and I know I need to refill.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #8

I read all kinds of reviews and there was a great article 2 months ago in trailer life magazine. They said the levels were dead on. I've bought one with the 2 sensors and the display screen. Haven't installed it yet. Everyone seems to think these are a very good option to monitor the levels.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Let me explain my situation. I’m an occasional camper. I try to go as often as I can which usually is only six or seven times per year. Due to health issues, I only utilized the camper three times last year, however, I keep it stocked and ready to roll. I also keep the refrigerator running 24/7. Turned it on when I picked the unit up at the dealer and it has not been off to date. When not in use, the camper remains connected to electrical power to power the refrigerator. If there is a power outage as I experienced in January due to an ice storm, I want to insure there is propane to run that refrigerator and avoid spoilage, thus I keep both tanks on. I keep a refrigerator magnet on the tank the auto-switch valve is pointing toward and check it periodically to track which tank I’m using. My plan is, once I discover the auto-switch valve has moved, I will remove and fill the empty tank. When I saw the tank check unit, I thought if it works as described, that would be much simpler way to monitor the tanks.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

SHorty_Cox and 01tundra,

Thanks for the find! I too have been looking for something like this. I do a spring hunting trip every year and we generally use a lot of LP for heat over a 5 day period. After 3 days I'm never really sure where I'm at and the nearest fill station is 30 miles so I don't need to run out at 2 in the morning. The reviews are mixed. Some like 01tundra say its great and others have had issue with getting it to work via Bluetooth. For $70 I think I'm going to give it a try!

Thanks,
Dale
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Team

Another opinion, for $70 bucks I'll just keep on doing what works for me all along.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

I got a 'Dometic" tester off amazon for about $40 canadian. Works well.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

Propane tank levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
We have done the same for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post

X3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #14

X4

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #15

The other cool feature of the Mopeka Tank Check is you don't have to have the display screen. There is an app that you can use to show you the tank levels!

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Let me explain my situation. I’m an occasional camper. I try to go as often as I can which usually is only six or seven times per year. Due to health issues, I only utilized the camper three times last year, however, I keep it stocked and ready to roll. I also keep the refrigerator running 24/7. Turned it on when I picked the unit up at the dealer and it has not been off to date. When not in use, the camper remains connected to electrical power to power the refrigerator. If there is a power outage as I experienced in January due to an ice storm, I want to insure there is propane to run that refrigerator and avoid spoilage, thus I keep both tanks on. I keep a refrigerator magnet on the tank the auto-switch valve is pointing toward and check it periodically to track which tank I’m using. My plan is, once I discover the auto-switch valve has moved, I will remove and fill the empty tank. When I saw the tank check unit, I thought if it works as described, that would be much simpler way to monitor the tanks.
Just a question. If you only use the RV every two months or so, what do you keep it stocked that you need the frig? Most items would be past expiration dates I would guess. Also, in January, in the Oklahoma panhandle I doubt a day or two electric outage would be an issue, as it's probably as cold outside as your frig is inside. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I've been using propane for years and, at least to me, running out has never been an issue. Two tanks, auto switchover, check the tanks once a week (or more if you use that much) and your good to go. Takes seconds, cost nothing and, has worked for decades. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Hope whatever you purchase works for you. And hope your able to get out more often this year. Happy Camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote