Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #31
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post

Why is everyone so complacent about putting more load on the thing that can least afford it?
Mike, my guess is because most of us are just happy to be "camping" at full hookup sites. While "camping" with SWMBO and the two DD's, there is no hope I can ever boondock.

But, nor would I want to. I kinda like backing in, plugging in, and 15 minutes later drinking a bud lite. 😃

Boondocking sounds like too much work for my recreation.... In fact, it sorta sounds like work to me.

Craig T. Bailey
Hudson, NH
2015 Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #32
I prefer how it is now... No standing pilot.

2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #33
Add a second battery, a small automatic transfer switch, 12 volt LCD low battery alarm, and replace the converter that came with your RV with something like the Progressive Dynamics PD9280V Converter, which will rapidly charge your battery when hooked up to shore power + condition the batteries once fully charged. Problem solved.
Todd Klassy
Todd Klassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #34
I really love the idea of yanking the 30A fuse to the converter and replacing it with my DVM and seeing EXACLTY which devices are drawing how much power.

The radio and the 12V powered USB charger are definitely getting cutoff switches. It's easy enough for me to undo some screws and/or yank a wire (pull the fuse?) to disconnect then reconnect a device to see what it's idle and active current draws are.

I got some bad news for you, Mr. ctbailey I spend just as little time from arrival to kicking back with a Bud as you do. The only difference is that I don't have to run a hose to the hydrant, pull the power cable out and plug in and run the sewer hose.

Backing, leveling/unhitching, deploy the stabilizers, turn the fridge on, roll out the awning, set up the lawn chairs, grab a beer and relax. Absolutely the same whether in a campground or the middle of nowhere.

This past weekend (Thurs-Mon) we did the Festival of The Arts in Remsen, NY and the Annual Homeowner's association meeting for Wild River Properties.

Everything on the trailer worked great until it ran out of electricity at 3:30 AM Monday morning. The OEM battery drops to 2/3 charged (on the panel) within minutes of recharging.

One or more of the following is true:
A) The OEM battery is faulty
B) My gas powered battery charger is faulty
C) The guy running the battery charger is faulty

(The smart money is on C)

Real deep cycle batteries with a solar panel and a good monitor are looking much more interesting every day...

TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote