Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Angry Quality???

Drove my new Jayco Whitehawk 23MRB straight from the dealer to Sequoia National Park. (198 Miles) Got to camp.
1. 1/2 of the drivers side fender had snapped off.
2. The valance was off the wall and upon closer inspection was never screwed in. Only 2 of the 4 holes were there.
3 Unpacked the murphy bed, and mattress. When pulled mattress back a lot of saw dust and wood trimmings under the mattress.
4. Stepped on some pieces left from the assembly.
5. slider windows wont lock......

Trip was great, but I hope this initial trip isn't a sign of future things to come.

skiermanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

There are always little things that need to be taken care of on a new RV. You will find more. I guarantee it.

Some dealers clean them up real nice... others not so much.

Get yourself a basic tool kit and keep it with you. Screws will come loose as you drive. It's the nature of hauling a trailer down the road.

A vacuum will clean up under the bed. You probably have one at home. Ask your wife to show you how to use it. Sweep the floor so you don't step on things while your at it.

Your dealer will probably be able to replace the fender for you and drill the other two holes on your valance and remount it for you.

It's a bummer that these things happen, but welcome to the world of owning a RV.
Glad you had a good trip. That's what it's all about.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Ask your wife to show you how to use it.
Stuff like this is why I always seem to come back here. Thanks for the laugh

To the OP, it's probably a good idea to get yourself mentally prepared for your first 2 or 3 trips basically being an extension of the PDI you (started) at the dealership. It took us a couple trips to shake everything out.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

I am surprised by the fender, as they had to transport the unit, and it did not come off them.

As for the sawdust, you'll find more, it seams to migrate to the same areas. We had to vacuum up some after each trip for 3-5 trips.

You'll also find some other items over this next year, as things vibrate loose. Once fixed up you should be good.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Site Team

How many people would take possession of a new rig and take off on a trip from the dealer lot on a camping trip?

Sorry you have problems but I can't imagine anyone doing that.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Good point. But the trip was planned and they were 4 days behind the "detailing".
skiermanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
bap

Why is everyone making excuses for the factory and the dealer? It should have been ready to go right out and camp. The owner shouldn't have to fix a new camper to go out camping. I bet none of you took possession of your Tow Vehicle expecting to go home and fix it so you could use it.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Why is everyone making excuses for the factory and the dealer? It should have been ready to go right out and camp. The owner shouldn't have to fix a new camper to go out camping. I bet none of you took possession of your Tow Vehicle expecting to go home and fix it so you could use it.
There's close to a billion threads on here that cover this.

A camper thrown together by minimum wage workers that are unable to keep up with consumer demand - in a highly unregulated industry is going to have some issues. It's just the way it is. Should it be? No.... Is it reality? Unfortunately yes.

"Why is everyone making excuses" - There's a difference between making excuses, and simply pointing out the obvious.

My 500K brick and stick home had some issues the first year too. It took me a few months to shake all of those out as well, and that's in an industry that is heavily regulated, permitted, and under government oversight 10 times to the degree of a Thor product. Did I expect there would be issues then too? Absolutely. Even the Space Shuttle exploded a few times.

10 minutes of research on any 'RV' forum on the internet will show this is the case for every camper manufactured in the world. Your alternatives are to A) not buy a camper. B) pay triple the price on an Airstream (also made by Thor and pray there aren't problems with it too. Or C) Realize that your getting an awlful lot of bang for your buck out of these houses on wheels and there's a 2 year warranty for you to take advantage of.

I think maybe 70% of the people that buy campers actually understand what they are getting into... most of those will be happy. The other 30% are disgusted by the whole thing and give up the RV lifestyle.

Remember how bad American cars and trucks were back in the 70's? It wasn't until the Japanese came in and smacked us around for a good 15 years that our auto industry got the message. You want a better product? Wait for competition to drive it.. it will happen eventually. Thor is also publicly traded and the shareholders have obviously come to the conclusion that X number of defects per unit is an acceptable loss. When a competitor can do better, for the same or less - Thor's share price will reflect that, and they will implement the required changes, or disappear from the market like the 'big 3' almost have, several times. If Thor had the competition Ford Motor Company has, you'd be paying 62K for a Jayflight and it would be 'nearly perfect' out the door. Just like my new F250 is going to be.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
How many people would take possession of a new rig and take off on a trip from the dealer lot on a camping trip?

Sorry you have problems but I can't imagine anyone doing that.

What better way than that to get started? Might as well start using it right away. Don't you do the same when you move into a house?
I did the same thing 2 weekends ago. Granted it was an overnight stay at a local campground about 10 miles from the dealer. In any event I found a ton of saw dust and metal shavings throughout the trailer. No biggy. Some of the other more serious things were nail pops, some obvious corrections made through to the walls where staples came through. It almost looks like they compounded over them. Today I noticed A huge screw under the sink cabinet that's coming in from the outside that missed the box it was meant to screw into. Lol
2017 Blactop Durango GT
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like a good poll? Where is Crabman when you need him.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote