Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Quality Better If Special Ordered?

Reading the thread on Jayco quality control has me wondering if you have less problems if you order your trailer built, as opposed to buying off the dealer's lot. We ordered ours and have had no meaningful problems. Just luck?

So did you buy off the lot? Did you have many problems?

Similarly, if you ordered yours have you had lots of problems or very few?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Ours was off the lot (via RV Direct/Fla) and we've had next to zero issues. None have been construction related. The biggie was the defective Jenson stereo, Jayco sent a replacement directly to me and I installed. I doubt the guys on the assembly line know or care.
But then our little TT (X23B) is not at all near the complexity of a 38' 5er or pull-behind.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

I had never ordered a trailer before this last one and have had very few problems with anything I have purchased off the lot. I ordered my Jayco Eagle Premier 321 RLTS last November and picked it up in the middle of February of this year. I have had no problems whatsoever with the new one and don't notice any difference in the quality of the workmanship in the new unit over the many that I have purchased off the lot. As far as I am concerned, Jayco quality is the best there is in their class. I have owned several brands, and none of them will match Jayco's quality workmanship.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Team

I ordered mine, no significant problems in four years...
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

We ordered our previous '03 Kiwi 17a and in 10 years never had any issues related to construction. Just before we traded it one of the water heater bypass valves started to leak, but it was ten years old so I didn't think much of it.

Our new X20E was off the lot. So far its been great except for a minor issue with the awning that I don't attribute to Jayco so much as Dometic, who made the awning.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Bought our 2013 WhiteHawk 27DSRL "off the lot" at the GS Rally in Daytona last November. It was a display model, so I figured any obvious bugs would be addressed before they allowed a bunch of people to traipse through it. We actually took delivery 2 weeks later at the dealer. Some would be put off at the thought of buying a display unit, but I had no concerns. Only problems to date: The shower enclosure leaked (re-caulked it myself) and a recently discovered window leak issue, which I'm not sure is an actual leak because the water was entering through the weep holes in the bottom of the window frame. No wet wall or floor. As far as build quality, I think Jayco for the most part is no better/worse than anyone else in the business. Since owning this trailer, I've seen a lot stuff that left me scratching my head about how they assemble these things, but overall, I think Jayco did an OK job constructing it.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I've ordered the last three units I've bought: Crossroads Cruiser, a Forest River Forester, and this Eagle. They all had the typical issues after the first month of use. I will say this Eagle is trending high against the others for annoying and inexcusable issues beyond normal trim issues. This is complicated by the fact Jayco won't send a part direct like Crossroads and Forest River did; I find this to be mostly an effort to protect their dealer network which is an odd way of doing business.

I'm still happy with the unit, the structure and major assemblies are well done.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

Ours is off the lot, only issue we had is with a bad Jensen System, stopped playing DVDs about a year after purchase. Dealer got a new one installed and all good from there.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #9

I seem to notice the little things most. For example my cargo door frame isn't parallel to the door itself and the seal isn't making full contact... How does that even happen? There's a small ridge in the flooring, perhaps along a seam? The bathroom door is kind of crooked in the frame, but it closes and latches perfectly. There's a bubble/ripple in the rubber roof. I'm not sure if things like these are considered "defects" or what... Or am I being too picky?

Some of the bigger things are easier to deal with because there's no second guessing it. I have 2 separate electrical outlets on the outside of my unit - one works fine and the other one has never worked from day one. So obviously it's not even hooked up! One of the shower clips came broken from the factory - no big deal, I will get them to send me a new curtain under warranty.

I ordered mine in April and got it beginning of June.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Bought mine off the lot in 2008 along with an extended warranty. The only issue I had was loose a/c bolts which I fixed myself. Nothing else, never had an issue to have to use warranty.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #11

We ordered our X23B and supposedly it was one of the last ones Jayco built before their summer shut-down. But so far we have not had any problems with it.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #12

We bought ours of the lot, (RV Direct / Orlando FL) and have not had any significant issues.
As said in a earlier post our Pinnacle is 40 Ft Long and loaded with gadgets, electronics and goodies.
No major system failures or problems after a year and a half of fulltime living in it.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

I think the dealer can service as a second layer of quality control IF they are doing the job you are paying them to do. A good dealer will do a thorough inspection of the RV construction and systems prior to delivery to a customer.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #14

We have had our Jayflight 22FB for over a year now. We bought it straight off the lot and our dealer did a very thorough inspection, and gave us a lengthy walk-through. We have not had any significant issues and feel that we have a great camper. I hope that all who are experiencing problems get them resolved soon, and hopefully through your experience quality control will be enhanced.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi 4x4 Big Horn
Magnaflow muffler with factory dual exhaust, K&N drop in filter
3:55 ratio, Goodyear Duratrec 285/60/R20
2011 Jayflight 22FB...sold!
QuinnFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #15

I can dispel the idea of better build quality if it's a special build. We have a 2013 Eagle 284BHS we special ordered back in in Feb/Mar. We brought it home on 5/20. Since then, I have found a litany of mostly little things such as screws that were installed so crookedly I question if the installers just didn't give a damn. A couple other issues were more serious.

The biggest issue to date has been one with the water heater which I had to return to the dealer to get fixed. On our last camping trip, the water stopped functioning on gas.
After some extensive trouble shooting, the dealer eventually found that the water heater was sitting on top of its own gas hose, in effect pinching it off and cutting off its own supply of gas.

The dealer was great in doing what they could to fix it with what they had on hand.

But it still cost me 18 gallons of diesel fuel at $3.89 a gallon, about 175 miles wear & tear on my truck and 8 hours of my time on my day off. I was told that this would be a warranty issue and I wouldn't be able to get any reparation from Jayco. IMO this is clearly an issue of faulty workmanship vs a warranty of a component or labor failure. I might end up contacting Jayco directly to seek reimbursement of my expenses.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #16

Good luck Tail.... Let us know how that worked out!!
Gerard
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #17

We ordered our 27DSRL and have had no trouble with it. The ladder was left off and an electric awning was put on it that we didn't order. We have a great dealer who obtained a ladder from Jayco and put it on. Apparently the work order was lost sometime during its assembly. Our unit was subject to the Dometic awning recall, and the dealer did not receive notification, which he did receive on another unit he sold. This work has been assigned to a different (non Jayco repair facility) which has yet to make the repair. I'm not concerned because I pull the fuse while traveling.

Our previous 26BH was purchased when it was a year old and was in perfect condition. I had to replace the microwave because the warantee does not pass on from the original owner. Got one from CW and did it myself.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #18

Nighthawk....

Looks like you got a nice "bonus" with the power awning!!! :hihi:
Gerard
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
Site Team

I`m thinking the crew that builds it has no idea and cares little if it is customer ordered or not......Could be wrong.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #20

My first RV was a 22' Eagle TT. I think that was back in 2002. I have since owned a Carriage, Hitchhiker, and Heartland products. The only one I did not have a problem with was the Jayco Eagle. They were also a little more simpler back then.
don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote