Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

Quality of Jayco?

We are strongly considering buying a Jay Feather hybrid. So I'm reading lots on these forums, which is wonderful. However, I am getting cold feet when I read so many stories about problems and the lack of response by Jayco, even during the "warranty period"...
kailani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #2

the best warranty in the business

I'm closing in on the end of my two year warranty and still have not had any big failures or flaws. My last RV (not a Jayco) was in the shop many times and I dealt with the company and dealer for an additional six months after the end of warranty, then sold it.
I can't say enough good things about both Jayco and their local dealer here.
Just for comparison, browse the other brands forum sites.
Just fyi, the Lance owners forum will not let you read posts unless you're a member. That should tell you something.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #3

I have a Jay Feather Hybrid that's 5 years old ( second owner) and it's been a very good and dependable trailer. No plans of trading it in and if I did I would buy another Jayco, I wouldn't think twice about it. It has a large slide, never had a problem with it and everything else is original.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailani View Post
However, I am getting cold feet when I read so many stories about problems and the lack of response by Jayco, even during the "warranty period"...
Unfortunately you usually only hear the bad and not the good.

Warranty issues are 95% dealer, 5% JAYCO.

As I posted earlier, we had the AC on our 2015 PINNACLE fail while in FL, 1,000 miles from our dealer with another month before we were heading back North. JAYCO worked with a service Tech to get it diagnosed and replaced within 4 days. Granted since the tech was not in JAYCO's system I paid up front, but had a check less than 2 weeks after we got home.

The reason I ended up paying was the mobile service center (Camping Connection) could not come out for 2 weeks and recommended another Tech. Had Camping Connection been able to do the work, they would have been reimbursed directly by JAYCO.

JAYCO has always been very responsive with me and many friends, even covering some issues after the warranty expired.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Our first Jayco had no issues that I needed warranty work except for a defective stereo. Jayco sent the replacement directly to me and I installed it. The current Jayco is a 5th and the only warranty work of any significance was the front cap repaint. We're 2 for 2 happy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Unfortunately you usually only hear the bad and not the good. Warranty issues are 95% dealer, 5% JAYCO. ... JAYCO has always been very responsive with me and many friends, even covering some issues after the warranty expired.
One of the hardest jobs to keep a smile on is probably customer-service/help-desk for the only people who have a reason to reach-out are those who are dissatisfied ~ not those where everything is A-OK. We all know that if we don't complain when something isn't right, it won't get fixed BUT how often when something IS fixed (or is right from the get-go) do we take the same effort to compliment or to give kudos?

In this forum, thank goodness, you are getting both sides ... those sharing their problems or expressing their frustrations AND those who are pleased and would recommend their experience/decisions to others. Also add in to your assessing these opinions the varied personalities of the forum members ... for some the glass is half-full and for others it is half-empty. Me? You've probably already gathered from my postings (and signature/avatar) that I'm a real Pollyanna! To me, everything is an adventure that leaves me with memories and laughs. BTW, although we've experienced some issues (all covered under warranty), we are pleased with both Jayco and our dealer and would do everything the same 'cuz we love our rig.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

We bought our 2012 White Hawk used from a Jayco dealer. I did a lot of research before deciding to buy a Jayco. They probably have the best frame, roof and side wall structure of any in the industry, based on my research.

I am disappointed in the finishing of our TT. I think it must have been finished on a Friday when they were headed for the weekend, I have had to fix a lot of finish items, screws, remount medicine cabinet, hinges, etc. I have had it in to replace undersized axle (Dexter provided at no charge, and service plan covered the labor), and I have had to have the front cap worked on due to premature, excessive fade.

We love the layout of the 28DSBH, the wood, flooring, fabrics, carpet and wall coverings, but I feel they could have paid better attention to the finish work.

You will be fine with a Jayco. Bottom line, they all have their problems - its a home that moves at 60 mph down the road, problems will happen I guess.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #9

We currently have a Forest River PUP, but our first one was a Jayco. We had it for 8 years and other than a water pipe coming unconnected (after a particularly rough ride) and sort of flooding us a little, we never had a minute's trouble with it. I don't remember if the warranty was in effect when that happened, but of course, we fixed it on the spot because we had just gotten to the campsite when we discovered it. We blamed the really bumpy, rocky road for it, and were laughing about it by the end of the next day. LOVED our Jayco; only traded up 'cause it was a low wall and bending over the sink and stove was killing my back.

With the Forest River (which we got because we liked its floor plan), we've had trouble from the get-go. Most problems have been fixed, but it took our dealer (which now doesn't sell FR any more) ages to do so. Luckily, everything that's gone wrong has been fixable so that the trade-in won't be affected, but boy, are we glad to be going back to Jayco.

As many here have said, people are quick to share complaints, and not so quick to share the good stuff. We'll try to be "good" about that when we get our new TT. (We think it was ordered today.)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #10

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate reading them! This Wednesday we'll visit a Jayco dealer and have a good look at them.
Hattie, is your avatar a 13ft Scamp? We started with a Scamp long ago, and loved it .
kailani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #11

We bought a 2015 Jayco Seneca in November. We've had a couple of minor issues, and one biggie associated with a slide seal. Our local dealer has been great, and everything was fixed under warranty with no problems.

On our last trip, one of the backlight LED's on the outside television went out leaving a dark shadow on one side of the screen. I wanted to avoid having to take the coach back to the dealer during the camping season and wait, so I contacted Jayco customer service via e-mail. I sent a photo to show them what was going on, and a replacement TV was shipped out the same day. I swapped the TV's out, and shipped the broken one back. All covered under warranty.

Our unit isn't perfect - we've had to tweak a few things here and there (cabinet latches not matching up, basement door latches loose), but I'm happy with the quality overall.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #12

I'm a Jayco owner who believes that Jayco quality is neither as good as it ought to be, nor as good as it could be. And neither are very many of "entry level" RV's, and even expensive ones.

Problems I have NOT had with Jayco are basic structural problems - things like frame welds breaking, axle mountings breaking, frames bending. Which do happen, but I like to think not so much with Jayco.

Jayco does have a good warranty, but how good the service is and how quickly a problem is solved depends on your dealer. Investigate, investigate, investigate.

I'd buy another Jayco, and I can also say I'd buy it from the same dealer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #13

There are a lot of discussions where potential customers are concerned about quality based on what they've read here. I also spent a long time reading and learning as much as I could about Jayco products before deciding to buy last year. I'd like to throw one more thing at you to consider. Jayco has made your product for years and will be around to help you for years to come. My previous TT isn't even made any more. It was built by a major company who made a business decision to stop making TT and left to concentrate on what they felt was a more profitable line. 'nuf said.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #14

I just posted about our first trip with a brand new 29 QBS. Everything was good except the tub/shower support was done improperly so that there is no support underneath. They make a platform of plywood and 2x4 but it is too narrow due to plumbing. If they just made the support platform 6" wider there would be no issue. Now it will require removing the entire surround and tub. Poorly built it that area.
Acepylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

Wow is all I can say - please read this post too: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post299733

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote