Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Quality RV Cover?

It's been our first season with our 2017 White Hawk, and while we still have two more outings planned, I'm starting to think about protecting it during its first winter of outdoor storage in upstate New York.

I know there are debates here and on several other forums regarding "to cover or not to cover," but I'm leaning toward covering - New York winters don't leave me much choice. I've started my research and there are of course plenty of options. Is there a cover out there that you'd strongly recommend? Something that is reasonably priced, does a good job and lasts more than one season? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

I suggest you cover it with the Special "South Florida Sun" winter cover, or perhaps the "Arizona Desert Winter Cover..."
Old 08-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

We use the this and it has worked well for us here in Pennsylvania. Had this last 3 years on my 26BH then sold the trailer and got a new cover for my 28BHBE (needed a new cover because the old one would not fit my new trailer) Old one is still in great shape and will be looking to sell it.

Here are the statistics:
Superior quality Elements RV Covers offer your RV triple layer protection against intense sun, snow, rain and black streaks.
Water-resistant covers feature heavy-duty Tyvek that’s 10% stronger than leading brands plus exclusive features for easy use and improved durability,

including:
(1) Four reinforced roof panel handles help position cover
(2) Six included Tyvek Gutter Gard protectors protect cover from sharp edges
(3) Poly-formed grommets won’t rust or corrode; stronger than metal in pull tests (4) Reinforced solid vinyl panels behind grommets and buckles to help prevent pull-out
(5) Unique elastic inserts plus adjustable straps on front and rear for snug fit
(6) Reinforced vinyl front and rear bumper corners for extra wear protection Other Elements

Features: Extended heavy-duty Tyvek fabric on roof protects corners Front/rear/side vents improve airflow to help prevent mold and mildew Zippered panels for easy entry and access to storage areas Breathable polypropylene side and end fabric lets moisture escape Lock-stitched, UV-protected straps and buckles Includes storage bag Mfr. 2 year warranty - See more at: Elements All Climate RV Cover, Travel Trailer, 26'1"-28'6" - Elements Covers 69283 - RV Covers - Camping World

Elements All Climate RV Cover, Travel Trailer, 26'1"-28'6" - Elements Covers 69283 - RV Covers - Camping World

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
I suggest you cover it with the Special "South Florida Sun" winter cover, or perhaps the "Arizona Desert Winter Cover..."
Tim, if only!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
We use the this and it has worked well for us here in Pennsylvania. Had this last 3 years on my 26BH then sold the trailer and got a new cover for my 28BHBE (needed a new cover because the old one would not fit my new trailer) Old one is still in great shape and will be looking to sell it.

Here are the statistics:
Superior quality Elements RV Covers offer your RV triple layer protection against intense sun, snow, rain and black streaks.
Water-resistant covers feature heavy-duty Tyvek that’s 10% stronger than leading brands plus exclusive features for easy use and improved durability,

including:
(1) Four reinforced roof panel handles help position cover
(2) Six included Tyvek Gutter Gard protectors protect cover from sharp edges
(3) Poly-formed grommets won’t rust or corrode; stronger than metal in pull tests (4) Reinforced solid vinyl panels behind grommets and buckles to help prevent pull-out
(5) Unique elastic inserts plus adjustable straps on front and rear for snug fit
(6) Reinforced vinyl front and rear bumper corners for extra wear protection Other Elements

Features: Extended heavy-duty Tyvek fabric on roof protects corners Front/rear/side vents improve airflow to help prevent mold and mildew Zippered panels for easy entry and access to storage areas Breathable polypropylene side and end fabric lets moisture escape Lock-stitched, UV-protected straps and buckles Includes storage bag Mfr. 2 year warranty - See more at: Elements All Climate RV Cover, Travel Trailer, 26'1"-28'6" - Elements Covers 69283 - RV Covers - Camping World

Elements All Climate RV Cover, Travel Trailer, 26'1"-28'6" - Elements Covers 69283 - RV Covers - Camping World
Rick, thanks for this!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #6

If you have space, I suggest a metal carport. If you plan on keeping an RV for a longer period of time, then you'll appreciate being able to back the trailer under it and forget about it until you want to use it again. Protects your trailer from both sun, rain, snow, and hail. The initial cost is higher, but you'll appreciate it almost immediately....and for several years to come worry free.

If you don't have the space for a permanent cover, then you have a few choices based on your school of thought. If price is your ultimate concern, then get a cheap cover and expect to replace it after about a year or less. If that's your preferred choice, then just about any cover will do. If quality and longevity is your ultimate concern, then purchase a quality cover made from Sunbrella material---like the Calmark brand. Covers are just about like anything else...you typically get what you pay for.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
If you have space, I suggest a metal carport. If you plan on keeping an RV for a longer period of time, then you'll appreciate being able to back the trailer under it and forget about it until you want to use it again. Protects your trailer from both sun, rain, snow, and hail. The initial cost is higher, but you'll appreciate it almost immediately....and for several years to come worry free.

If you don't have the space for a permanent cover, then you have a few choices based on your school of thought. If price is your ultimate concern, then get a cheap cover and expect to replace it after about a year or less. If that's your preferred choice, then just about any cover will do. If quality and longevity is your ultimate concern, then purchase a quality cover made from Sunbrella material---like the Calmark brand. Covers are just about like anything else...you typically get what you pay for.
Thanks, Justman, I WISH we had room for a carport or metal building! When we bought our home on a smallish lot 5 years ago, we had no idea we'd be RV owners some day. I did see the Calmark line and got an estimate for one (about $1,300 delivered). I'd be willing to consider the increased cost if I knew some owners who were satisfied with the product and could vouch for its durability firsthand. Have you used it, or do you know anyone else with a Calmark cover? Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Check out ADCO brand covers.
Gtoglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
Yep, I prefer to cover mine during the winter with good ol' Arizona sunshine. But I know, it's not possible for a lot of people, at least not for a few years.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

Bill,

Yup, no wintering in the south or southwest for me yet...I'm about 14 years away from retirement. For now it's just extended getaways during the camping season with my wife and daughter. But a man can dream, right? Someday...
Old 08-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtoglenn View Post
Check out ADCO brand covers.
I'd love for ADCO to be an option, particularly given the price, but I keep seeing mixed reviews. Some swear by them, others say they're flimsy. How's your experience been?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I'd love for ADCO to be an option, particularly given the price, but I keep seeing mixed reviews. Some swear by them, others say they're flimsy. How's your experience been?
What I mentioned in my post above, is same as ADCO.
Mine lasted 3 years and the only issue I had was small holes where my rain gutters punched thru. Sold the trailer and the cover I had did not fit the new trailer so I had to buy another one. The cover I had on my 26BH is in great shape except for the small holes where the rain gutters punched thru.

Here is a link where this is discussed in another place on this forum:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...nts-29496.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 08-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:

Holler when you're ready. I'll be needing to cover my 26bh.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
What I mentioned in my post above, is same as ADCO.
Mine lasted 3 years and the only issue I had was small holes where my rain gutters punched thru. Sold the trailer and the cover I had did not fit the new trailer so I had to buy another one. The cover I had on my 26BH is in great shape except for the small holes where the rain gutters punched thru.

Here is a link where this is discussed in another place on this forum:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...nts-29496.html

Good to know, thanks, Rick. And thanks for the link!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #15

Put tennis balls over your rain gutters. Should stop the damage.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Put tennis balls over your rain gutters. Should stop the damage.
GREAT IDEA. I used pool noodles but they still got thru.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 08-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
Holler when you're ready. I'll be needing to cover my 26bh.
Gocarp,
I sent you a PM

2012 Ford Expedition EL