Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Question about the a/c

I did a quick search but 1: my Google fu is weak and B: doing it on my phone isn't the easiest thing.

We have got the chance to go out 1 time with the camper so far and it was HOT and muggy outside...like upper 90's with high humidity...I wasn't sure if the ac in the camper could keep up or not. Temps in the trailer were tolerable for the most part during the day but the air the ac was blowing was cool, not anywhere near cold...at night it would freeze us out. I asked the dealership I got the camper from about this and if it needed serviced or not and was told the unit was serviced before I picked it up the day before we left for this trip. What he said next made me curious though and wanted to see if anyone else had heard something similar. He said that in the summer time the load all the campers combined draw from a park makes it so I wasn't actually getting a full 30 amps to my trailer and next time this happened to make sure the water heater is off and to switch my fridge to gas. He said the fridge will draw enough power away from the ac that it won't cool effectively. He said I can switch back to electric at night when the load on the entire campground is reduced. Does this sound right or is he loading me down with a bunch of bs?
CallMeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

Yes and no.

It's not the amps, but the voltage that may affect the a/c. With that said you can only expect a 18/20 degree drop in the air temp. If your unit is 85 inside the air coming out of the a/c will only be 65 etc. So as the sun goes down and things cool off it works much better.