Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

QUESTION: MH vs CLASS C

This has been on my mind for awhile and I would love to hear your thoughts on it:

What made you decide on a MH or a Class C? I have a TT right now and the idea of driving my home-away-from-home as opposed to pulling it behind me is becoming more appealing. But what is it about either of these that convinced you to choose one over the other? Space? Weight? Gas? Something else?

Thanks!

~ Shellee
Shellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

I think you mean Class-A versus Class-C. Both are motorhomes.

I've owned both (gassers). The class-A typically has a tighter turning radius and can be had in longer lengths. Class-C really wasn't that different for me, I wanted a little smaller, you've got cab-over space, so that's nice.. No real difference driving similar units in terms of weight and length.

The Class-C chassis - it's easier (somewhat) to find parts for.

Both units are much harder to get service on than your truck. Most dealers don't have a lift for a 30+ foot vehicle that is 11 feet high. This is a much bigger deal than you'd think, because it's going to very much limit where you can get your vehicle maintained and worked on. I got stuck in Dallas one year and literally there were only 2 Ford dealers in the area that could work on that vehicle.

They ride harsher.. And typically get about 7 mpg.

If you're talking about Class-A DP (Diesel Pusher) - that's a whole different ballgame and I'll let someone else speak to that.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

Yes, sorry... I meant Class A vs Class C. And why is a diesel-pusher different? Is that just for Class As? Or can a Class C be a diesel-pusher?
Shellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

A diesel pusher is usually built on a commercial truck (big truck) chassis. They have commercial power plants, with 2-3x the torque you'd find an a V10. They were designed to carry massive weight and usually have large tow reserves.

Class-A and Class-C gassers are usually at or just under gross weight limitations. The Class-C's in particular, over 30 feet, are easy to overload.

Class-C's can be diesel on truck motors. 7.3L, 6.0L (don't buy one), and 6.7L diesels (I think) are all available. These are 3/4 to 1-ton truck motors.. And the new diesels are great, but they're are motor-in-front. I do see them, but the diesel motor is an expensive option (just like the trucks).

There are newer Class-A models with diesel motors in front, but I haven't seen too many. There are also Class-Cs (23-25' range) based on the Sprinter chassis (small truck) with a 3.0L diesel that gets great mileage (relatively) 11-19 mpg....

I may be raising more questions than I'm answering.

Start with: Floor plan and budget, that should provide some guide-lines.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #5

we looked into a class c and for what we could afford we were getting junk, so we just went with a hybrid camper instead. had a little more room with bunks on ends. were limited to what we can tow.
14 SLX 16XRB
JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

Time to go shopping

When we returned to RVing we bought a trailer, that lasted less than a year. Oh my gosh what a pain to hook up, set up, etc. After that we had two class A gassers, nice but the ride was not the best. Then we bought a class A diesel pusher, had it for seven years, mostly loved it. Much to my husband's disappointment I could not drive it, I tried but I just could not wrap my brain around it. Two months ago we bought a C+, Jayco Embark. Love it, and I can drive it. It takes a lot of looking, talking, and questioning at shows, RV parks and RV clubs to find what you like and works for you.

Good Luck in your search, Ellie

Benny & Gracie (Two Bearded Terriers)
ChiefChazFaz (My Sweetie of Almost 50 Years)
MissEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #7

Embark is a beautiful rig...
TT are a pain to park/connect/disconnect.
Class-A's and Class-C's on the E350/E450 chassis don't ride as nice as a properly sized truck / trailer combo, in my opinion. They can also be hard to find service for, due to their size and height. You also lose some space on the motorhome due to the front driving seats.

I don't think there is a right answer... Although it'd be hard to go wrong with an Embark.. :-)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #8

For me it was all about the convenience. Having the wife and daughter making lunch or just sitting comfortable on the couch or at the table playing cards with her friends while I head on down the hwy was for me the biggest factor. Besides I would have to invest in a vehicle that could actually pull something. Both current vehicles couldn't pull a little red wagon.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

We decided on a new c for a few reasons
1 the tt we wanted was pushing the limit of my pickup
2 we do several small trips so with the c we just jump in and go no need for a car because our longest trips are a week
3 fist all the family and the dog comfortable
4 my kids can bring a friend camping couldnt fit extra people in the pickup
5 gives me the option to bring my boat
6 i use to be a mechanic so having the extra maintince of a class c is no problem
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

dont forget price. a class c or a new is 4x the price of a new tt
14 SLX 16XRB
JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
For me it was all about the convenience. Having the wife and daughter making lunch or just sitting comfortable on the couch or at the table playing cards with her friends while I head on down the hwy was for me the biggest factor. Besides I would have to invest in a vehicle that could actually pull something. Both current vehicles couldn't pull a little red wagon.
This was my DH's thought when we were thinking of what to buy, but I admit I am a bit of a carseat freak, and you really can't properly install carseats for the littles in a motorhome - so we have a TT
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote