Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Rand McNalley GPS Good SAM

Any using this GPS?
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

Well I am using the rand 7730 lm I really like it so far .... Got it on amazon for right around 300.00
Old 04-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

I will take a peak on Amazon and see what is there. Is this model dedicated to Good Sam sites, maps out routes of low overheads to avoid, dangerous curves, etc., Lifetime map. Can you hook up to computer and have a trip planned and executed via the GPS? I have a Garmin GPS, a very good one, but it is not dedicated to RV travel.
Thanks for any info. you can provide. I am searching and want to make an informed decision.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

Any truck gps would work great
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

I am researching and finding a mixed bag. Seems Garmin 760lmt dezl and the Garmin 2797 lmt are popular truck GPS models.. Lots of good and negative reviews on both. Yikes.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

Well i like it it has rear camara hook up wifi and yes the route planning download .... as with any sometimes it wants you to go its way but it gives 2 route options based on you rv perimeters and when in a state ot gives a lookup for all campground in that state with phone number and info or you cam just click route there ... alot of stuff on it i havent even tried yet and it recalculates super quick
Old 04-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

The Rand GPS is horrible. I had a Garmin and liked it but thought this would be handier in finding RV parks, etc. however, it takes us in circles, takes us going the wrong way, etc, I tried it on routes where we know the way and it did horribly as well. We now use it if we are lost and desparate. Hubby keeps saying Garmin is much better screen wise, navigation wise--everything. Buy it if you like hearing it say "at the next corner make a right turn" 4x in a row.
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #8

Well I will say a lot of people like Garmin ... I have owned Tom Tom and used Garmin but after my Tom Tom tried to take me the shortest route from Ohio to Indiana when I had my 24 foot enclosed car hauler behind me and got me into a height situation I wanted to find something that allowed you to set height, length and total length perimeters. I also wanted the rv and state park listings and liked the options on the 7730 rand.....with any gps I have found that if you always trust them blindly to get you where you want to go that is a mistake. I will always look at a map and figure out the way I want to go to get there and typically drive that route regardless and let the gps recalculate until it understands the way I am going. I am a man who is not ashamed to get on the CB and ask directions or stop to ask a local directions especially if I have to change route because of an accident or take side roads.
That way you get to meet some nice people and get the easiest way to get somewhere. I don't trust any gps blindly but I do use it as an aid and it really helps at night to show me the names of cross streets before I get to them. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #9

I have the Magellan RV GPS. Not sure what model it is. You can use for normal vehicle or check a box and it is in RV mode. Picked it up at Walmart.com. Prices are pretty good and free shipping for orders over $50.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #10

Okay thank all for your remarks. I have my google maps on my smart phone for the routes, but the RV mode in the truck GPS's for the height, length, weight, etc would be a good thing so one can avoid low bridges, sharp curves,heavy clogged traffic, etc. For my two cents I believe one of the Garmin truck GPS systems would do just fine.
I have a 2015 Ford F 150 tow package, and it has a built in GPS. Have not used yet, but I am sure it will only give route information. Again many thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #11

I have the Garmin RV760LMT and am very happy with it. Easy to use, customizable to your rigs specifications, big screen, etc. It hasn't steered me wrong yet... I don't have it, but you can also hook it up to a backup camera
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
Site Team

The first thing I have to say about depending on a GPS (any mfr GPS) is DO NOT DEPEND ON IT 100% OF THE TIME. There are a lot of war stories about GPS leading us astray.... I have owned a GARMIN and now have a 2nd Rand McNally (RVND 7525, Model 7720B). GARMIN was ok, and it also was not perfect, the last time we used it we were going to a Corps of Eng CG around Lake Okeechobee FL, and it was telling us to turn on a road to the GG about a 1/2 mile from the actual road. The road it wanted us to turn on led to a cow pasture, by the way the other camper had a Rand McNally and his did the same thing.. go figure?

The first Rand Mcnally showed us driving in the water about a mile off the cost of Clearwater Beach, Fl, my house is about 200 yards from the Gulf. Took it in for a new one (got the Camping World extended warranty). It also did not recalculate if you decided to take another road, yes the recalculate option was selected. Major firmware issues. So now the second Rand McNally has been operating fine... no stories to tell about this one yet, but stay tuned.

Oh, and for the iPhone lovers (son gave me his old one when he upgraded), they are not exempt from the GPS problems either.. we have encountered a few with her telling us to go a completely wrong way... And yes, in the earlier days MS Streets and Trips (w/GPS) also gave me a run for my money when I used to travel for work all the time.

KEEP AN OLD TECHNOLOGY PAPER MAP WITH YOU ALSO, AND A COLD ONE IN THE FRIDGE.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
The first thing I have to say about depending on a GPS (any mfr GPS) is DO NOT DEPEND ON IT 100% OF THE TIME. There are a lot of war stories about GPS leading us astray.... I have owned a GARMIN and now have a 2nd Rand McNally (RVND 7525, Model 7720B). GARMIN was ok, and it also was not perfect, the last time we used it we were going to a Corps of Eng CG around Lake Okeechobee FL, and it was telling us to turn on a road to the GG about a 1/2 mile from the actual road. The road it wanted us to turn on led to a cow pasture, by the way the other camper had a Rand McNally and his did the same thing.. go figure?

The first Rand Mcnally showed us driving about a mile off the cost of Clearwater Fl, my house is about 200 yards from the Gulf. Took it in for a new one (got the Camping World extended warranty). It also did not recalculate if you decided to take another road, yes the recalculate option was selected. Major firmware issues. So now the second Rand McNally has been operating fine... no stories to tell about this one yet, but stay tuned.

OH and for the iPhone lovers (son gave me his old one when he upgraded), they are not exempt from the GPS problems either.. we have encountered a few with her telling us to go a completely wrong way... And yes, in the earlier days MS Streets and Trips (w/GPS) also gave me a run for my money when I used to travel for work all the time.

KEEP AN OLD TECHNOLOGY PAPER MAP WITH YOU ALSO.
I agree X2

I always go online and check out the routes first and decide which one is the best for me. I print that route out and verify against the route the GPS is trying to send me. I then use the map and GPS together to get me there.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #14

A GPS or (navigation) device is nothing but a digital map. If you can't read a map the you will have a hard time any navigation system you buy. If it has rv and trick modes then its even better but still not perfect. If you talk to enuf people they all have good and bad points.
PS. Carry a.map book. It always right
crazy.canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #15

Check-out the new Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 at: Rand McNally

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #16

Jamer, your GPS Garmin is very adequate! Spend you money on something else.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote