Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Rant! Stolen Foot pad

So I pulled my 5'er out of Daryls Mini storage and when I got home upon inspection of my trailer I noticed someone removed one of my rear round stabilizer foot pad while in storage! I'm going to have to start putting down all my jacks down while in storage. This is really pushing me to buy a new home with RV parking! Can't stand the thought that someone thinks its ok to take things from people thats not theirs. Anyone else have similar problems? ARRRGGH, it irritates me to no end that people steal. Sorry...end of rant.
Davisf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

Haven't personally had anything stolen but I know other people that have.

My problem has been with collision damage in a storage lot. I've learned to ONLY use a lot that only rents to RV's and Boats OR segregates the lot.
I was in a lot in Atlanta that was used by a mix of RV's, beat up old cars that I can't imagine why anyone pays to store, and Landscapers.
Apparently - it takes very little money to start a landscaping business. To keep from renting an office - they run the business from home. But neighbors/zoning won't let them park their landscape trailers at home. SO they rent parking slots at the local storage lot. Early in the AM they and all their workers show up - they pull out the trailers, the workers park their trucks/cars there and they go forth and work all day. In the evening they reverse the process.
I was assigned the only free space in a lot off Peachtree Industrial - and it was right between two landscape trailers. I wasn't smart enough to know this was a BAD idea. Over the winter I didn't visit the rig for about 3 months.
The result was two punctures in the side and a broken window. The punctures looked like a rake handle or something sticking out of the side of a landscape trailer had pushed into the wall. No idea what broke the window.
I complained to the storage yard - who pointed to a clause in the contract that said they weren't responsible - to contact my insurance. They also claimed it probably happened before I parked there.
I asked to see their security camera footage - but their server only stored 7 days and wasn't a helpful angle.
Needless to say - I moved to another, more expensive lot.
The owners of the storage lot could have cared less- they had a waiting list.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

I hate thief's, and even worse are those who tag graffiti on stuff.

The pads are optional. I would recommend a 2"x6", cut square. It will give you a good surface area to land your foot onto.

When you do install a new sand pad. Add a Loctite Red to the bolt threads, it is permanent you will never be able to unthread the nut. It would have to be cut off. Too much work for a thief, so they will move onto the next camper.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

We just signed on at a new storage lot, and are hopeful that we won't have any issues, but have insurance if something does happen. This lot is probably 90% RV's in 3 lots and a small section of storage garages in a separate area.
One of the things I was looking at when touring was how the other RV owners secured their stuff. The lot we signed on at, everyone leaves their tanks and batteries out, some had solar panels attached. That provides me with a level of comfort that thefts are probably rare there. Other lots I viewed, if it could move it was bolted down or (presumably) moved inside the TT (or maybe already stolen?).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

We've been in the same storage spot for a few years. It's gated and has cameras and they have someone there quite often (not 24x7). They actually watch things too. One time we were picking something up from our RV, and wanted to drive around to take a look at some of the other campers to 'dream' and also to look at some that probably hadn't been moved in years. We actually had an employee come over to us and make sure that we were legit, because I guess sometimes such behavior can mean people are up to no good!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Sorry for your loss, if it happened to me I would be taking a trip to my neighborhood welding shop to see what they could do for me, making up a new one.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

The only thing I've had stolen is one of those yellow wheel blocks that I got as a gift?? Someone 5fingered it out of the bed of my truck. Oh well, live and learn!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisf350 View Post
So I pulled my 5'er out of Daryls Mini storage and when I got home upon inspection of my trailer I noticed someone removed one of my rear round stabilizer foot pad while in storage! I'm ****** cus it turns out the part is not cheap! I'm going to have to start putting down all my jacks down while in storage. This is really pushing me to buy a new home with RV parking! Can't stand the thought that someone thinks its ok to take things from people thats not theirs. Anyone else have similar problems? ARRRGGH, it irritates me to no end that people steal. Sorry...end of rant.
Are you sure it didn't fall off while driving somewhere? Maybe before it was stored or on your way home?

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Add a Loctite Red to the bolt threads, it is permanent you will never be able to unthread the nut. It would have to be cut off. Too much work for a thief, so they will move onto the next camper.
All you have to do is heat the bolt to about 325 and the Loctite will melt and the nut will come right off.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

I have enough stuff stolen in the last couple of year, plus all the damage , it has been moved to a friends back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
I have enough stuff stolen in the last couple of year, plus all the damage , it has been moved to a friends back yard.
That's a darn nice looking backyard!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #12

That is going to be my back yard in a week, camping Up near Merritt
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #13

My TT and 10 others were broken into a few weeks ago, at our storage lot. Some folks with MHs had up to $40,000- damage and they took a lot of TVs etc. My TV is hidden in the cabinets and from eye level is not visible. They rifled through everything and took 9 DVDs and a plastic tub...(?)... They did about $1,200- damage to my trailer. I'm currently waiting for a new 24" door and the graphics package. I'll change it out myself to avoid hitting my insurance... and having them hit me back. Doing that will only cost me about $500-, which is what the deductible is, and I haven't been too pleased with any work a dealer's techs have done... I have no use for thieves... If they'd taken the DVDs to a pawn shop, they'd have gotten about $4.50 for the lot of them. How dumb can they be?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #14

The gall of some people. Too cheap to go buy their own pad so they decide to thieve one from the yard. Fortunately, I've never had a problem where I'm stored. But who knows what others there have experienced. I guess it probably happens everywhere, I just haven't been a victim. Thank goodness.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Are you sure it didn't fall off while driving somewhere? Maybe before it was stored or on your way home?
X2 just can't see any one take the time to unbolt one of these pads. Go to a welding shop and have one made. Around here it would cost maybe $20.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote