Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Ready to Sell and Buy New.... Suggestions on How to Sell?

We are still trying to sell our Eagle 322FKS but no luck. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for sites were we should post an ad. We've been on Craig's List and I had an ad on RV Trader for a while. We made the mistake of going to the RV show this past weekend now we've got the itch again. I've got it posted on Craig's List for $21,900 but that doesn't leave us much negotiation room. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mike & Michele Arnold with Maddie Jo & Molly (Cavachons)
2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2010 F150 4 x 4 Super Crew V8 w/Max Towing Package
2011 Bennington 24 SLi Pontoon
Headed to the Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #2

What's hard is the time of the year you are looking to sell.

IMO folks looking for a TT this time of the year are doing so to get an off season deal. That is why we bought our TT in the late fall/early winter. Currently we have the same situation you do, a newer TT we would like to sell to upgrade. Problem is the only interest we have seen is from folks who are looking for the guy who has to sell for financial reasons and are trying to really low ball. I am not interested in giving away a TT and have decided will just make it work for us until we can put together the right deal to upgrade.

By the way I don't think your problem is the site, it's the price vs time of year. Someone looking for a used TT knows where to look. RV Trader and CL are about the best places. Again, IMO, you can lower the price below NADA's "Low Retail" or take it down now and repost in the spring. Pricing below NADA "Low Retail" is key, private party sales aren't retail and a buyer isn't going to pay retail prices...at least I wouldn't and expect you wouldn't either.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

All very good points, thank you! The low retail is just under $28K and by their definition is a unit which shows excessive wear and tear, which ours does not. I do believe it has to do with the timing so I guess we'll wait and see what the spring holds. We just don't want to be stuck without a camper when the season rolls around in case we have to order. Just thought we might get some suggestions as to other sites to try. We seem to get lots of spam and fake lookers from CL and RV Trader. It's all good, if it's meant to be, it will be. I apologize for the delayed response, I must not have subscribed to my own thread and missed seeing your reply. Best of luck to you in your upgrade endeavors also! It does stink getting bit by the upgrade bug so soon after a purchase :hihi:

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

Mike and Michelle, You mentioned Craigslist... if you haven't already, you can repost your ad to several different 'cities' every 2-3 days (can't remember so you'd need to check). In our area, I can post something in the local Craigs, but if I want to post the same ad in the next county, I have to wait a couple of days. If you haven't yet posted in multiple counties near where you live, maybe you could give that a try. Ya never know, someone might be willing to drive a few hours if it means a good deal

I have seen rv's on Ebay although mostly from dealers. I have friends that have successfully bought/sold vehicles on Ebay.

As you know, the scammer/spammers are out there and it sounds like you are learning how to deal with that so you don't have to deal with 'that'

As mentioned by Clubhouse, for rv's sales it's about timing. Spring is coming and folks will start looking for their next rv. Good luck with your sale
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Thanks so much for these suggestions and good wishes. Ebay has always terrified me but I guess we need to look into the option. I also didn't know we could post in other counties on CL and will give that a try. This has been quite an education for us! We are hoping for the best but realize we have an awesome camper so if we don't sell, we are still pretty darn lucky with our Jayco!

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

I'm moving this to General Jayco Chat as the Classifieds are cleaned out ever few months. Nice topic. I changed the title also to attract the right audience

So how about it? What has worked for you when doing a 'private party' sale of your rv; what suggestions do you have for others?

(please keep it helpful or it will be deleted!)
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

I sold my old Class A motorhome on ebay as well as my Geo Tracker (toad) in another transaction. Both sales were the easiest vehicle sales I have made. No tire kickers or low ballers. Both buyers bought, paid and drove them home.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

Ebay, one thing to know, just like on any forum if you are a newbie poster/seller and you don't have any history for others to read, then you may not receive much consideration.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #9

If there is "oilfield" drilling activity in your area, contact the "tool pusher" for a drilling rig. They have started placing campers on the drilling sites for the crews to utilize. The drilling company have lots of money and will not haggle. Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
I sold my old Class A motorhome on ebay as well as my Geo Tracker (toad) in another transaction. Both sales were the easiest vehicle sales I have made. No tire kickers or low ballers. Both buyers bought, paid and drove them home.
We are going to do more research on this option. It does seem like we would have access to more serious buyers. We've purchased through Ebay but have not sold anything. Any advice from a seasoned seller for a newbie?

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Ebay, one thing to know, just like on any forum if you are a newbie poster/seller and you don't have any history for others to read, then you may not receive much consideration.
Mike's new toy is a golf cart he's been refurbishing so we have some parts - maybe we should start with those and work our way up!

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
If there is "oilfield" drilling activity in your area, contact the "tool pusher" for a drilling rig. They have started placing campers on the drilling sites for the crews to utilize. The drilling company have lots of money and will not haggle. Shorty
You know, this is an interesting option and one that wouldn't have crossed my radar. This may sound really silly but it would almost make me sad. I would like to find someone who will take care of it and get many years of enjoyment from camping. Thanks Shorty - we'll have to keep this one in mind!

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

If you decide to try ebay:

List your reserve at the least amount of money you will accept. Take plenty of pictures and be honest in your description. That is the best advice. Always note that the vehicle is for sale in other venues and that the auction can end early if the vehicle is no longer available.

Set your deposit low because PayPal takes a percentage. I would do no more than $500 deposit within 24 hrs and the rest payable in 7 days. Sometimes you need to work with the seller for pickup.

Don't sign the title over until you are satisfied that all funds have cleared.

As I noted earlier the motorhome and Geo sold quickly. On the Geo I had a buy it now option. It sold too quickly; in less than an hour. That means I didn't ask enough. I bought it for $3300, kept it 10 years and sold it for $2300 plus an extra $100 for the tow bar, so I think I did well.

Ebay offers the maximum exposure for the money.

I did list my old Dodge 440 pickup on ebay an had a no contact winning bidder, but that can happen.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #14

I have never sold a motor vehicle or camper on ebay, but have been a seller of lots of smaller items on ebay since 1999. As Healthi mentioned above, most buyers look carefully at the seller's reputation before placing a bid. On ebay, this is called Feedback, where previous buyers and sellers rate their past transactions with you. If you don't have much feedback, many buyers will move on.

I have experienced a number of my items that received no bids over the last couple of months, when by all rights they should have received bids, based on low starting prices and past experience. So I have concluded that the economy is so poor at the moment, and with many new and increased taxes are showing up, folks are just not buying in the "normal" numbers.

Therefore, if you are serious about putting your camper up for auction on ebay, I would suggest that you wait a few months, and in the meantime, start selling small items on ebay to build up your positive feedback score. IMO, if you could get at least 25 or 30 positive feedbacks, with no negatives or neutrals, that would increase your chances of getting bids on your camper in the spring. You can avoid negative or neutral feedback by being totally honest in your item descriptions, mentioning even the smallest defects, and making sure that your items are packaged well and shipped promptly after receiving payment.

Another suggestion is that you establish an account with PayPal when you start selling on ebay, if you don't already have one. This will simplify payment for your items by the buyer.

Hope this helps you. Good luck in selling your Eagle.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #15

I sold my last TT on Craigslist within a week. I did list on e-bay as well which did obtain interest. You can list on e-bay and sell private outside them. Just list is as a as a I agree that the time of year is difficult and interest is very low. When I did sell my unit I did 2 things. 1st look at the NADA retail values and take the lowest number into consideration. 2nd was ask the dealer what the trade in value was against a new purchase. I took the sales tax savings(may not apply to you) and added it to the trade in and then split the difference between low retail and that number. That price should be very attractive to a buyer based on the age of your unit.

People want to save but buying from a dealer gives them piece of mind and someone to deal with on potential issues. In most cases a private sale only carries a taillight guarantee at best which is why you can't get the same price in most cases.

I know its a bad time of year to do so but make it very clean and have a lot of pictures to either send and list with. The more the better from a buyers perspective.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

Thank you all very much for the great ideas! We will keep at it and wish for the best. The Ebay help is much appreciated so we'll see how it goes!

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #17

I had an RV dealership sell my trailer on consignment.

They sold it within a week and for more than my asking price.

Contact me for details on setting up a consignment sale with a dealer.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote