Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #1

Rear (and Side) Camera Question

Hi everyone:

2011 Greyhawk.

I have one of those lousy Magnadyne stereos that just stopped functioning with a "Telephone In" message. Tired of looking at it, but that is another thread.

Anyway, I have decided to replace it with a Pioneer stereo that I like with the features that I need.

Here's the rub. After removing the dash plate, the input line from my rear/side cameras are 13-pin male din but the camera input on the radio is an RCA style video jack. So, I was wondering if, first, if there is a din female -> RCA male cable adapter available that would relay the video to that specific RCA port... or if not, has anyone tackled this (or even made a specialty cable to handle this). Honestly, I am not even sure this is possible.

I have the pins out diagram for the 13pin din, and could probably solder one up, but not sure if I want to go that route; or if there are any gotchas in doing this.

thanks in advance.
ndnnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

Mine's not broken - yet so can't help on the remedy. I will stay connected to this thread as the answers/solutions will most certainly be in my future.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Call Crutchfield in Charlotesville, Va. they may have an adapter for it or know an easy way to do it.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Amazon has several adapters that apparently would work for you. Click here for one Amazon listing.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

thanks for the replies everyone.

I saw that one adapter, but the incoming 13 pin (from the cameras) also has male pinouts. If I could find a 13pin din female on both sides, I may be able to work it. Believe it or not, Magnadyne has cables for each individual camera to RCA, which have individual 5 pin triggers for 12V.

HAR-RCA-C

But, after looking at this in depth, triggering each of the 3 cameras individually may be more involved than I first thought because of the single trigger wire to the radio. I am not even sure that I can do this (other than the using the single reverse camera). If incoming video triggers the camera video on the radio without the reverse trigger wire, I may be able to wire it up to each individual 12 on the turn signal, if not, I think that I will only get the backup via reverse.

Thanks again for the responses!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #6

Ok -- I think I found the solution for the 3 cameras on the magnadyne radio. Sort of ugly, but functional.

1. Separate each camera (2 sides and rear) from the Magnadyne 13 pin din going into radio and add the 5 pin -> RCA converter cord (HAR-RCA-C) to each camera.

2. Run each RCA cord into a 3 input -> 1 output intelligent 12V video mux (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Vi...dp/B00B155G5M/)

3. Video out from mux into single input RCA on radio
4 Wire each side camera to turn signal for trigger
5. Wire reverse camera to reverse lights for trigger.

Cost about $40 total.

Again, a somewhat ugly solution, but it works!

thanks again to all