Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Rear Bumper Spare Tire Mount Advice Needed Please

We have a 2013 19H and enjoy it very much. We dry camp a lot in areas where we fish and find it necessary to add a couple batteries. Space is tight in the tongue, so we are thinking about using the current stock space provided for the spare tire for the dual battery mount and mounting our spare on the rear bumper.
Has anyone installed a rear spare tire mount on the bumper? You thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!
Bill & Lynn
MillRiverFlyRods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Most rear bumpers I have seen are very thin metal, and are risky in supporting much over a few pounds. I would take an end cap off and look at the end thickness of the metal. If it is less than 3/16" thick, I would not recommend mounting your spare tire on it. While it may seem solid when at rest, you have to not only consider the actual weight of the tire and bracket, but also the bouncing stress on the bumper when going down the road. Also check the strength of whatever the bumper is mounted to. An alternative would be to have a receiver hitch welded onto your frame, and use a removable carry-all that slides into the receiver. JMHO.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice. The metal is less than 3/16. Would be too weak. We'll look for an alternative to mounting batteries in the factory installed spare tire mount.
Thanks again,
Bill & Lynn
Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

Mine came with the spare tire on the bumper brand new and it is pretty thin also.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Where are your propane tanks mounted? Could you move the tanks forwards, so they are right behind the tongue jack, and then install the batteries between the tanks and the front wall. I would think you should be able to get to batteries in that area, without moving the spare tire.

What about this option, I have a spare battery I stow in the back of my truck in an old plastic milk crate. When I need it I just place the crate on the ground next to the Tongue. I disconnect the used battery and hook up the fresh battery. I made a cable that allows me to wire the spare battery in parallel if I wish or as a single battery. I have to do it manually, no fancy switch.

If your bumper was built like mine, I would be concerned it would be to light, to safely secure the tire for long, without some reinforcement.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

You have a 19H and if it is like mine, the rear bumper is not a square tube bumper. It will not hold a spare tire. I just recently built a square tube bumper for mine so I could add a bike rack to it. Things worked out great by going that route.
Marteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

I think you are right. The tanks could be moved forward. Then two batteries can be mounted behind the tanks and over the spare tire. Honestly, we like our Jayco dealer a lot and feel they have been very straight with us. Given my skills, having the dealer take care of this modification would be best for our camping pleasure. Getting others opinion helps us to prepare our questions for the dealer. Much thanks for your input!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Why don't you just put a couple extra batteries in your TV and then set them under the A-frame and connect them when you get set up. That way you don't have all that extra weight on the front of the TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote