Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Rear View Camera Question

I'm considering installing a rear view camera on my TT, and would like to hear from folks who have experience with one.

Wired is the only style I will consider, and I intend to install it myself. I want to be able to remove the camera when the TT is in public storage, and it will be wired for "full time" use.

Do current / past owners think they are worth the cost?
If I run RCA cables do they need to protected by conduit or wrapping?
Are there any brand names known to be better than others?
What do you consider the minimum to be for night range (feet) and field of view (degrees)?

Thanks,
OnTheGo
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #2

I assume you are referring for backing your rig up.

We use walkie talkies.....$38 at Walmart without going through an installation process.

But that is just us.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I'm considering installing a rear view camera on my TT, and would like to hear from folks who have experience with one.

Wired is the only style I will consider, and I intend to install it myself. I want to be able to remove the camera when the TT is in public storage, and it will be wired for "full time" use.

Do current / past owners think they are worth the cost?
If I run RCA cables do they need to protected by conduit or wrapping?
Are there any brand names known to be better than others?
What do you consider the minimum to be for night range (feet) and field of view (degrees)?

Thanks,
OnTheGo
We have installed wired cameras on both our TV and TT. I went with the two-camera system from RearViewSafety. For me, they are well worth the cost. The one mounted on the TV makes hitching so much easier. You can see the ball and it's a minor adjustment to get it perfect... without having my DW wave her arms around like she's directing air traffic on a carrier deck (hat tip to Long Long Honeymoon for that fitting description). The cam on the TT makes backing into a spot easier, especially at night. I also leave it on while driving so I can see what's coming up behind me. Otherwise my rear view is pretty much obstructed. Plus, it let's me keep an eye on our bikes which are hitched to the bumper.

The cameras we have are weather resistant but are not easily removable. That may be an easy enough though if that's a requirement.

The best price I could find on the system I wanted was from Costco.

Also picked up one of these Quick Disconnect kits from RVS.

And finally, here is the license plate camera mount I got for the rear of the TV.

You can find the technical info on the Costco link above.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Team

".. without having my DW wave her arms around like she's directing air traffic on a carrier deck (hat tip to Long Long Honeymoon for that fitting description). "

I know what you mean. Left is right, right is left. Down is up, up is down! OH MY!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I know what you mean. Left is right, right is left. Down is up, up is down! OH MY!
Crabman,

And we should never discount the fact that a few hundred bucks for a camera system is way cheaper than divorce! Oh no! I hope she didn't hear that!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Team

I`m actually training my 11 yr old son the art of giving backing directions. On our last trip when backing in I asked him how close am I to that tree behind me? He said what tree? I got out and pointed to the one about 5 ft behind the trailer at the back of the site. He said oh, that tree. We have a ways to go yet............
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I`m actually training my 11 yr old son the art of giving backing directions. On our last trip when backing in I asked him how close am I to that tree behind me? He said what tree? I got out and pointed to the one about 5 ft behind the trailer at the back of the site. He said oh, that tree. We have a ways to go yet............

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

Well don't feel too bad...my mom backed my dad right into a pole and put a nice dent in their Airstream....11 or 70....happens to them all

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #9

Thanks, Quahog, for your excellent response.

That's just about what I'm looking for, and the links are appreciated. I didn't consider a camera for my TV - it's a great idea. Is there some type of junction for the wiring to the monitor, or do you have to run separate leads for each camera?

Did you install yours yourself? Any problems?

I plan to follow a wiring harness back from the cab to the rear of the TV, and along the inside of the TT frame. Is that pretty much standard installation procedure? I can't imagine doing it much differently. Where did you locate the camera on the rear of the TT?

Thanks again,
OnTheGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
We have installed wired cameras on both our TV and TT. I went with the two-camera system from RearViewSafety. For me, they are well worth the cost. The one mounted on the TV makes hitching so much easier. You can see the ball and it's a minor adjustment to get it perfect... without having my DW wave her arms around like she's directing air traffic on a carrier deck (hat tip to Long Long Honeymoon for that fitting description). The cam on the TT makes backing into a spot easier, especially at night. I also leave it on while driving so I can see what's coming up behind me. Otherwise my rear view is pretty much obstructed. Plus, it let's me keep an eye on our bikes which are hitched to the bumper.

The cameras we have are weather resistant but are not easily removable. That may be an easy enough though if that's a requirement.

The best price I could find on the system I wanted was from Costco.

Also picked up one of these Quick Disconnect kits from RVS.

And finally, here is the license plate camera mount I got for the rear of the TV.

You can find the technical info on the Costco link above.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
That's just about what I'm looking for, and the links are appreciated. I didn't consider a camera for my TV - it's a great idea. Is there some type of junction for the wiring to the monitor, or do you have to run separate leads for each camera?

Did you install yours yourself? Any problems?

I plan to follow a wiring harness back from the cab to the rear of the TV, and along the inside of the TT frame. Is that pretty much standard installation procedure? I can't imagine doing it much differently. Where did you locate the camera on the rear of the TT?

Thanks again,
OnTheGo
One lead per camera... I did the install myself and as you described, followed the harness wiring back from the cab to the hitch location. I installed a 2nd connector bracket on the opposite side of my hitch for the trailer quick disconnect. It took me a little time (maybe 40 mins) but everything is out of sight and secure. Sorry I have no photos of it at the moment.

On the trailer side, I mounted another connector bracket on the tongue. The wiring followed the battery wiring to the converter for most of the way but then I went further down the frame, up through the rear storage compartment, up through the bathroom closet (along where the vent pipe goes), into the overhead, across and out just behind the medicine cabinet. The camera is mounted about 2 inches below the center red marker where the black oval is shown.

Next time I get my trailer out, I'll try to remember to take some photos ;-)

Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

I just have a small wireless unit. To answer your question. Well worth it. I love being able to see what is going on behind me on the highway. Also very useful backing the camper exactly where I want it.
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote