Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 PM   #1

Recommendations for quiet portable generator

Hey Guys and Gals! Not entirely sure if this is the right area to be posting this thread but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations when it comes to purchasing a portable generator for recreational use? After a little research I think I am in the market for something in the 2000-3000 watt range. Honda and Yamaha seem to be the industry standard but are there any cheaper options that are comparable in performance? Also I have decided that I want an inverter generator as opposed to a conventional generator as I plan on using it with sensitive electronics and also want it to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks folks!
JoeJ
JoeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #2

Generator recommendations

Hey Joe!
As far as purchasing a generator is concerned, there are two main factors to consider. The first is how much power you will require and the second is noise emissions.

POWER: You say that you are using it for recreational use so I would imagine this means camping/RVing? If you are tenting and do not require your generator to power a 13,500 BTU AC unit then something around the 2000W range should power most of your appliances without worry (coffee makers, hair dryers, CD players, laptop/phone charging etc). If you do require something that can power an AC unit on an RV you should be looking in the 3000W and above range for a 13,500 BTU unit.

NOISE: No one wants their campsite to sound like a construction zone. If you are looking for quiet portable power you are definitely right to be looking for an INVERTER generator (as opposed to a conventional generator). You are right that inverters produce a "cleaner" power source that is suitable for sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones. The inverting process produces a smoother sine wave that will not damage the microprocessors within these electronics.

Many people swear by Honda's and Yamaha's and they are the industry leaders when it comes to inverter generators BUT there are many alternative companies (ie Champion, WEN, Briggs and Stratton) putting forth very competitive products at a lesser price that merit consideration when shopping around for a generator- I particularly like the Briggs and Stratton P3000 30545.

I found this website to be extremely helpful when deciding which generator best suits your needs (specifically for recreational use- they do not have as much info on standby home generators);

https://www.quietpowergenerators.com/

The "inverters vs generators" page is very insightful and arms you with the knowledge necessary to make an educated purchase. They also have detailed reviews of the latest and best selling inverter generators on the market.

I hope this helps! Happy camping and all the best,
Dave
daveevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #3

Those are the gold standard for quiet campground generators. I used to tote a Honda 3000w but it wasn't easy to get it in and out of the truck, so barely considered it portable, but it alone would run the aircon and a few other small items. Now I have two Yamaha 2000w units and the pairing cable. When not needing aircon we just haul one, easily loaded. When paired we get more juice than the old Honda provided. I'd say it's a toss up between the Honda or Yamahas. They seem to pop up on craigslist now and then. That's where I got the Honda. Used it for four or five seasons. Sold it for about $50 less than I paid. Bought the first Yamaha that way too, the second one I bought new since our RV dealer gives us 15% off anything we buy.
I'm sure you'll get many more coming back with suggestions too.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

Check out the Champion brand version within your requirements. I've got the 2 Honda inverter 2000's and a champion 4K regular genset. Both set ups work for intended purpose. The hondas in parallel with piggy back fuel tank have plenty of power for the 15k AC and other items plus a long run time (30 plus hours), but the champion does what I need it to do at a fraction of the cost and runs at least 8 hours on it's own tank. I'd at least do a little research on the Champion inverter gensets before I threw too much money at the hondas.

Welcome to the forum and you'll have way more feedback shortly.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #5

Don't mean to hijack but are u guys using these inverters for dry camping only? That do u do when it's pouring out? Can u simply run the gen under the awning? I'm also considering an inverter type gen but if it's not going to be strong enough to run my AC I might just go with a couple of solar panels instead just for basics like lights, water pump, etc.. I want it to be light weight. For the champion brand are you guys simply going with the gas models or the dual fuel?

I own a traditional Champion genset for my home which I keep in a shed I made for it. Its 9000 watts at startup. I paid $600 for it at BJ's and it's been worth every penny. Their customer service is great, they also covered an out of warranty claim since it had an issue where it started right up but was not producing power. It had about 6 hrs of run time on it at the time.
I would definitely recommend the brand or at least as others have mentioned consider it depending what might pop up on Craigslist if you go the used route.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Check out the Champion brand version within your requirements. I've got the 2 Honda inverter 2000's and a champion 4K regular genset. Both set ups work for intended purpose. The hondas in parallel with piggy back fuel tank have plenty of power for the 15k AC and other items plus a long run time (30 plus hours), but the champion does what I need it to do at a fraction of the cost and runs at least 8 hours on it's own tank. I'd at least do a little research on the Champion inverter gensets before I threw too much money at the hondas.

Welcome to the forum and you'll have way more feedback shortly.
X2
I have both the 3000 Honda and both Champions. The 2000 and the 3100. The Honda is the quietest of all but not by much. The big plus with the Honda is that it can run on a tank of gas (4 gal tank) for 24 hrs. A big advantage if you have to run a AC. That is also the biggest negative. The Honda weighs 140 lb. Tough to move around. The 3100 Champion is light at about 95 lbs. and reliable. It's my first choice at present.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Hey, JoeJ, welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #8

Love my 2 Yamaha 2000 inverter generators.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

I run a pair of Honda 2000's inverter style in parallel. Easy to haul around, quiet, and cheap to operate.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #10

Keep in mind
1. Does the unit have a fuel shut off so you can run the line dry when your done using it till next time.
2. Does it have easy start
3. Go to the store to see exactly how "portable" 93+ lbs are. Do you have to lift it into a tailgate? Anyone to help you? You may not be as young as you thought you were.
4. If (when) you do need service, where is the closet service center
5. Consider two smaller units that can be hooked in parallel with a simple cord to give you the ummph you need. Honda and Yamaha make that really super easy.
6. Run time, run time doing what? running some lights and a fridge or running an AC unit in the summer.
As mentioned in previous posts, Honda and Yamaha are the top brands and for good reason. Selection and maybe more important is dependability. I have a Yammie 2400 and its been flawless for over 6 years now. one or two pulls, and she's good to go.
I'll also probably be picking up two smaller units to run in parallel. I like them that much.
There are many other brands on the market now. Good luck with your decision.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

The Honda EU2000s can drain the carb pretty easily though not as easy as the fuel petcock on the Yamaha. Take the cover off the Honda, turn a screw, the fuel drains from the carb. Not eloquent but not hard.

If anybody has their heart set on a Honda and the carb fouling is giving you pause, it shouldn't.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
Pa1

depending on how often you will be dry camping, the less expensive generators may be a good option. We only dry camp two to three times a year. Based on this i went with the Wen generators. Got two 2000's for the price of one Honda. They have great reviews and have worked great for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #13

Generator

We have had Honda 1000 and now 2000. Honda must have lost its copy write patent.There seems to be lots of new competition.One thing we noticed from friends generators as little as.2 db increase make a whole lot more noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Flowers.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

Heard a lot about Champion is your a 3000, curious what db rating is.I need a second 2000 to run my 15k ac. Might be cheaper to sell 2000 and pick up the champion! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Peacok.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #15

Anybody have any experience with one of these? My home depot store has 1 on hold for me at 25% off. Seems like a great deal.

Ryobi Bluetooth 2,300-Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator

http://www.homedepot.com/p/300347426

Old 07-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Anybody have any experience with one of these? My home depot store has 1 on hold for me at 25% off. Seems like a great deal.

Ryobi Bluetooth 2,300-Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator

Ryobi Bluetooth 2,300-Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2300BTA - The Home Depot

I have the 1000 that I bought on clearance from Home Depot. It was an open box and it looked like someone used it once and returned it. It was a score for me, because I only paid a fraction of the original cost. I just keep it around the house. I don't use it for much of anything, but it's nice to have when you need it. It's worked flawlessly every time I've fired it up.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I have the 1000 that I bought on clearance from Home Depot. It was an open box and it looked like someone used it once and returned it. It was a score for me, because I only paid a fraction of the original cost. I just keep it around the house. I don't use it for much of anything, but it's nice to have when you need it. It's worked flawlessly every time I've fired it up.
At $449 this seems too good to pass up. They have 1 left and I think I'm gonna jump on it. I dont think it will have an issue powering my 13.5k AC and some lights. The Bluetooth feature seems nice also.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
At $449 this seems too good to pass up. They have 1 left and I think I'm gonna jump on it. I dont think it will have an issue powering my 13.5k AC and some lights. The Bluetooth feature seems nice also.

That's a really good deal! I think I offered them $150 for the 1000 and I couldn't believe the said OK??!! I think they were asking $200 and I went ahead and offered what I did. I figured the worst the manager would say is no, but he said yes and I had to shell out the cash!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #19

Quote:

Ryobi Bluetooth 2,300-Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2300BTA - The Home Depot

How did you get 25% off? At $450, they are a steal - I'd buy 2.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #20

My current neighbor has two that he uses with his trailer. He likes them.

I wish I had bought them when Home Depot had them on saile a little bit ago. Two with parallel hookup for $800.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators, quiet portable generator