Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

Talking renting vs buying dilemma

Next summer we are planning on a four week round the good ole USA camping trip and are going back and forth between renting a travel trailer and buying one. We have a pop up camper but with our tow vehicle - '08 Yukon, space will be kinda tight for the four of us which is why we are looking at a travel trailer as we'll be able to keep the majority of our stuff in the trailer. Plus the constant setting up and tearing down of the pop for every stop.

The question is - are we better off just buying a good used travel trailer, paying cash, and than selling it when we are done or should we just rent?

We can't store it at our property, so that is one issue..

thoughts?

thanks!
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleuscracker View Post
Next summer we are planning on a four week round the good ole USA camping trip and are going back and forth between renting a travel trailer and buying one. We have a pop up camper but with our tow vehicle - '08 Yukon, space will be kinda tight for the four of us which is why we are looking at a travel trailer as we'll be able to keep the majority of our stuff in the trailer. Plus the constant setting up and tearing down of the pop for every stop.

The question is - are we better off just buying a good used travel trailer, paying cash, and than selling it when we are done or should we just rent?

thoughts?

thanks!
I would rent a class C first choice or a TT 2nd choice. You may have a problem renting the trailer w/o spending some money on a weight distributing hitch.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #3

I would rent. There is no guarantee you'll be able to sell one.

John

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab Z71
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
NewToMeJF26BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would rent a class C first choice or a TT 2nd choice. You may have a problem renting the trailer w/o spending some money on a weight distributing hitch.
Had a total blast a few years ago renting a Class C for a week during the summer but as we're looking to be gone for a 4 weeks and not wanting to be tied to the vehicle as you are with a class C - thats why we're looking at a TT. The most I've heard we'd have to add to the vehicle is an electric brake set up. Would the WDH be a big help and if so, how much $$ we looking at?

thanks for your help!
nuke
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Had a total blast a few years ago renting a Class C for a week during the summer but as we're looking to be gone for a 4 weeks and not wanting to be tied to the vehicle as you are with a class C - thats why we're looking at a TT. The most I've heard we'd have to add to the vehicle is an electric brake set up. Would the WDH be a big help and if so, how much $$ we looking at?

thanks for your help!
nuke
Everything depends on what you are towing. My guess would be a brake controller and a WDH. Some input from who is renting the trailer may be more informative. If you have not towed a larger trailer there is a learning curve that you may have to get started on early.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #6

Have you priced renting a travel trailer for a month? See what the rent is and then make your decision. I know in North Idaho a friend rented a 28' travel trailer for a week and he ended up paying $1200. That was the best deal he could get in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

@clutch: the price range we're seeing here in Michigan/metro D is around $500-$700/week for the 25/28ft range.

@norty: The biggest I've towed is our 23' Yamaha Jet Boat.

@newtome: that's my one concern based on the economy.

a big thank you for the great input everyone!

Still wondering a average price for a WDH.. anyone have any ideas or does it very widely based on vehicle?

*rented* 2012 jayco 264bh TT.
5 straight weeks, 8500 miles.

my wife and myself plus..
2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

If you are already towing with a 2" receiver all you will need would be the hitch head, ball, and bars. Check on Craigs List, or EBay.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If you are already towing with a 2" receiver all you will need would be the hitch head, ball, and bars. Check on Craigs List, or EBay.
Yep, already using a 2", will check, thanks Clutch!

2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #10

Maybe I missed it, but did you ask the rental company if the trailer(s) are rigged with the WDH already? I wouldn't go out and invest in it ahead of checking. The setup could cost you as much as the rental depending on your level of handyness (if you need it installed and setup, reccommended) and WDH selection.
You will need one though.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:

thoughts?

thanks!
If that's the only time you're going to use it just rent.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Maybe I missed it, but did you ask the rental company if the trailer(s) are rigged with the WDH already? I wouldn't go out and invest in it ahead of checking. The setup could cost you as much as the rental depending on your level of handyness (if you need it installed and setup, reccommended) and WDH selection.

Excellent point. I never thought about that possibility.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #13

Rent a class C. Save the wear and tear on your vehicle.
duraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post

great point as I have noticed quite a few on the places do offer rentals on the WDH or have it standard as part of the rental package. Looks like the only thing we'd have to "buy" is the brake controller which is no biggie. Have quite a few months to prepare, just doing some early research. Thank you all for your great ideas/responses!

2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #15

Sounds like you made an informed decision. Now the fun part, planning the trip! Come back and let us know how the trip goes!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Sounds like you made an informed decision. Now the fun part, planning the trip! Come back and let us know how the trip goes!

heck yea! As we get closer I most likely will be back for some must see places beyond the typical grand canyon. yawn. 4 weeks. 2 adults. 2 kids (will be 12 and 14) one destination. san diego. in between? who knows! LOL

2 teenage stepdaughters