Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #1

Repair gone wrong

I had my trailer in for some warranty repairs. One of the repairs was to replace the sink. We brought the trailer home hooked up water to it with a pressure reg and I had to flush out my holding tank. after I finished adding water and chemical to it I could hear water running and looked around. I opened my cupboard under the sink and water was everywhere. The taps were not tightened up. The drawers were full of water, I have water on the floor, carpet is wet in an area. i am concerned the underbelly may have water in it from it leaking thru the vent stack floor hole. I have sent off an email to the dealer and expect a call tomorrow as they were closed by time this all happened. I will leave the dealer name out for now hoping for a satisfactory resolution.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

That is just not right. I would take pics and write all the info down so you have a record of it. If the dealer was close I would be waiting for them to open up in the morning. Be nice but firm, Next time when picking up trailer I would check things out that have been fixed before you leave. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Be sure and take lots of pics. They may or may not be important later. Make sure they drop the cover under the trailer even if you didn't see any water running out. I am sure the dealer will want to be on top of this. This would be similar to getting your oil changed and having the drain plug fall out on the road.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

We have a video of the water being dumped out of one of our drawers. It is clearly a big mistake on their part. i have to work tomorrow and am planning on heading out of town on a hunting trip on friday. Luckily I don't need my trailer. I may have to take the trailer back after work, but am hoping they pick it up from my house after this. I would never have thought to turn on the water to check it. I also had no water in my trailer. Here is a copy of the letter I sent tonight. Notes about other repairs are mentioned as well

Code:
attached you will find a video of us draining water out of the 
drawers of our trailer. When I got home I hooked up water (pressure 
regulator used) to my trailer. I was cleaning my holding tank out as I had 
mentioned had an odour when I dropped off the trailer. After dumping and 
rinsing out the tank I could hear water running and opened the cupboards 
under the sink and water was running out and was leaking out from underneath 
the cupboard base. The water lines to the tap were not tightened and we have 
water everywhere. The carpet is wet near the slide, I believe water has 
leaked into the underbelly. Obviously repairs weren't checked upon 
completion. Also in the work order it states the ladder was removed to 
repair the back staple area of the trailer. It was not removed, and just the 
back roof area was opened up around the rear mounting bar that holds the 
roof down. the sides were not even lifted up as all the old caulking was 
still there with just some new caulking added over top. The awning never 
went out without helping it out again, I was told new struts were there to 
replace these ones. I will be expecting a call from you early tomorrow AM. 
If not you will be getting one from me. I do drive a truck so maybe unable 
to answer the phone right away but will promptly return your call.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the new trailer. I will be picking up our trailer after dropping it off for it's first warranty work. It was suggested to me by another member here that I check out the repairs prior to leaving. Being that the RV dealer is 400km away from where I live, it makes good sence. I was under the impression that much like car dealerships, when picking up your trailer, after having repairs to it, you sign to say that the repairs were made to your satisfaction prior to leaving. Granted you would assume that they would have tightened up the water connections, but nevertheless I think we all can learn something from your experience. I hope that they do things right by you and you are able to look back and consider it a bump in the road in your RV future. Stuff happens and sometimes, in how you deal with it, can make a huge difference. Certainly having your new trailer flooded would send anybody for a loop. I don't mean to underestimate the significance of that. Good luck and keep us posted.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

Well the dealer had agreed that it was their mistake that I ended up having a water leak. i came home from work and looked into the leak and it took 2 turns to get the line off the tap. I looked at the fitting it lokked good, so I made sure it was lined up right and tightened it up. tested it with a water line properly hooked up with gradual hose pressure and it was good. Running a dehumidifyer in it now. Asked that a note be attached and all is good again at my house. Still not impressed though, but mostly over it now.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015