Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Repairs at factory

Looking for experiences folks have had with hauling your RV to factory for repairs. I have a small bubble on back wall and am told my options are three. One was having local autobody shop do it. Second was total rear wall replacement, either at dealer or back in Indiana. Local bodyshop took about two seconds to say they couldn't do it. Dealer's shop foreman was less than encouraging on how well it could turn out if they did it, saying that putting all cabinets and countertops back on may not come out perfect. Before I opt for 3000+ mile round trip, including fuel, wear and tear and my time, wanted to get some opinions.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Looking for experiences folks have had with hauling your RV to factory for repairs. I have a small bubble on back wall and am told my options are three. One was having local autobody shop do it. Second was total rear wall replacement, either at dealer or back in Indiana. Local bodyshop took about two seconds to say they couldn't do it. Dealer's shop foreman was less than encouraging on how well it could turn out if they did it, saying that putting all cabinets and countertops back on may not come out perfect. Before I opt for 3000+ mile round trip, including fuel, wear and tear and my time, wanted to get some opinions.
If your not in any hurry you would know it's being done right. Problem is the factory service center is usually very busy since dealers do exactly what your dealer did. Suggest you take it to IN to be sure it's done right.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 AM   #3

one vote for factory

Before I call jayco and get into negoiating mode, has anyone managed any compensation for fuel, or better yet, had them haul the rv to and from the factory?
Talked to a person this weekend who had their Lance flatbed hauled to factory and back for delam front wall replace.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

update

Jayco said that replacing the rear wall was not as big of a deal as the dealer was making it out to be. He pulled up the details of my Eagle and said that the refrigerator would come out but that the cabinets shouldn't have to, and that the wall would drop away. My taillights and ladder and window would be put back in use.
So, relief to not have to make the trip to factory.
Once all is completed (most likely early winter), I'll post back.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #5

Repair

Are you still under warranty, my assumption is that you are with a 2013? I had a great experience taking my unit to IN for repair. I was out of warranty by1 yr.
The extent of water damage I had on my unit indicated that it had been leaking from day one so Jayco rebuilt the front of my TT at no cost to me. I did have to drop the unit for a month and make a return trip to pick it. It was approximately 750 mi each way. I figured it cost me around $1500.00 travel expense but I sleep easy knowing that Jayco's In Plant Repair Facility did the work. Jayco also replaced the actuator on my back slide out as a good will measure and replaced my battery that had drained down. I'm retired so I enjoyed the travel from SC to IN. I recommend that you look over any dealer and/or repair facility you choose. You can PM me or call me 8034350658.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Jayco said that replacing the rear wall was not as big of a deal as the dealer was making it out to be. He pulled up the details of my Eagle and said that the refrigerator would come out but that the cabinets shouldn't have to, and that the wall would drop away. My taillights and ladder and window would be put back in use.
So, relief to not have to make the trip to factory.
Once all is completed (most likely early winter), I'll post back.
If you are referring to the Montana line of rvs, I recommend you visit the MOC [Montana Owners Club] site before you make that move- I am a former Montana owner and feel my current Eagle is superior in every regard- JHMO- DD
Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

After having the dealer replace my front wall on my 2014 whitehawk, the job looked to be done by a bunch of hacks. Contacted Jayco and had them replace the wall at the factory. Well worth the time and fuel cost to know it was done properly. Dropped off on a Saturday and was ready for pickup the following Friday morning.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donnie View Post
If you are referring to the Montana line of rvs, I recommend you visit the MOC [Montana Owners Club] site before you make that move- I am a former Montana owner and feel my current Eagle is superior in every regard- JHMO- DD
Not a Montana, its an Eagle. I do live in Montana though. Thats what makes the tow to Indiana so taunting.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Are you still under warranty, my assumption is that you are with a 2013? I had a great experience taking my unit to IN for repair. I was out of warranty by1 yr.
The extent of water damage I had on my unit indicated that it had been leaking from day one so Jayco rebuilt the front of my TT at no cost to me. I did have to drop the unit for a month and make a return trip to pick it. It was approximately 750 mi each way. I figured it cost me around $1500.00 travel expense but I sleep easy knowing that Jayco's In Plant Repair Facility did the work. Jayco also replaced the actuator on my back slide out as a good will measure and replaced my battery that had drained down. I'm retired so I enjoyed the travel from SC to IN. I recommend that you look over any dealer and/or repair facility you choose. You can PM me or call me 8034350658.
I did get this in just under warranty, so good there. Also, any previous work done by my local dealer has been top notch.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #10

My 2012 30 foot Eagle 5th wheel required the replacement of the passenger side sidewall due to delamination.

Jayco shipped a new sidewall to my dealer and it was replaced to my complete satisfaction. Dealer called me when the wall arrived, took the fiver in, 5 days later I had it back. Techs said it was no big deal to put a new wall in.
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

Update

Got it home today. Had to wait for snow and ice to melt to drag it home. Looking it over all seems great. It passed the spouse inspection as well. The dealer said it wasn't as bad of a task as they expected, but that no shop can get work done in the timeframe that Jayco pays them for.
I went up the ladder (expecting it to let go) to put AC cover on and inspected the roof seal. Looked good but noticed one little spot where ladder fastens to roof that needs a pea sized dab of sealant to finish.
I had mentioned to service dept when I dropped it off that the toilet valve was hanging and not quite ckosing. Mind you by this time I was just out of warranty. They fixed it anyway, no charge.
If I find any short comings later I'll repprt back, but so far am glad I wentvwith local shop vs dragging the besst to Indiana.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #12

Awsome report Cosmic! It's great to hear that again Jayco has done right by its customers. Sounds like your dealer also stepped up and did a good job too. Keep us posted.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delaminating, factory, repairs, warranty