Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #21

Our New Mattress

We purchased the Showboat model from Denver Mattress. It was $249.99 + tax for the mattress alone.

We chose this one because the 10 year warranty is not voided because the mattress is installed on a platform. As long as you use a mattress cover (we would anyway), the full warranty is valid. Some companies require installation of the mattress on a matching box spring to get any warranty at all.

Also, the mattress can be exchanged for full credit after 30 days and before the end of the fourth month for full credit on another model.

To us it was a reasonable purchase for a bed that is not used daily.

This is our first Denver Mattress purchase, although we have purchased from two of their other divisions. After our TT returns home from dealer repairs, and we return from our next trip, we will update you.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Tom and Vicky

2018 Jayco White Hawk 30RD
2013 Sierra 4x4
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
We purchased the Showboat model from Denver Mattress. It was $249.99 + tax for the mattress alone.

We chose this one because the 10 year warranty is not voided because the mattress is installed on a platform. As long as you use a mattress cover (we would anyway), the full warranty is valid. Some companies require installation of the mattress on a matching box spring to get any warranty at all.

Also, the mattress can be exchanged for full credit after 30 days and before the end of the fourth month for full credit on another model.

To us it was a reasonable purchase for a bed that is not used daily.

This is our first Denver Mattress purchase, although we have purchased from two of their other divisions. After our TT returns home from dealer repairs, and we return from our next trip, we will update you.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Tom and Vicky
Tom, did you mean "Steamboat". I cant find a showboat on their web site but do find a steam boat
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #23

I bought 2 of these, 1 for the master & 1 for the couch/bed. Worth every penny!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Ser...opper/44578063

2014 Ford Raptor
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Blaine,

Thank you for the video. I thought that we might want memory foam, but now I realize that we wouldn't be happy. We want a firm mattress that we sleep on and not in, so memory foam is not the answer for us.

Thanks for helping us narrow our focus.
TomR, you are right. A memory foam mattress is not a good idea.
Attached Images

jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
We cannot believe that we are looking for a new mattress. We have only slept in our new 2018 White Hawk for 6 nights and the mattress has sunk almost to the platform. We read the older thread about the poor quality of the mattresses that Jayco installs, so we want to buy a serviceable replacement and not repeat Jayco's mistake.

BTW, my spouse and I prefer a firm mattress, no pillow top recommendations, please. Your help is greatly appreciated. And our trailer will take a regulation 60 X 80 queen.

Tom and Vicky

We ordered a Ghostbed off Amazon and it was delivered to the campground in 2 days. Easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IggyTheIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #26

We started on the stock mattress (a Denver) and "slept" on it exactly one night during "camp driveway" the first night we brought the trailer home. The next day, we bought a 4" memory foam topper from Wal Mart. With the topper, the mattress slept GREAT.

Fast forward almost 4 years into ownership, and our setup is not satisfactory any more. I think the underlying mattress is getting worn out. We are both waking up with hip/shoulder pain.

I shopped foam mattresses on Amazon because we are setting my son's "big kid" room up, and we needed 4 new mattresses. I found Zinus brand mattresses, and we love them. So I ordered one for the trailer (RV Queen) and it should be on my porch when we get home today. I have no doubt it's going to be a HUGE improvement. And the price is right for these mattresses.

We've slept on a memory foam mattress in our S&B home for years, and we'll never go back to an inner-spring mattress. We never have a problem with getting "sunk in" to them, and they're just the right firmness for both of us. We paid a mint for our home mattress, so when it comes time, I will replace it with a Zinus and pay less than 1/4 the price. If I need a new one after 3-4 years, I still come out ahead.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #27

We have foam at home and in our camper. You can get them firm. Spring mattress are as dead as disco
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
We started on the stock mattress (a Denver) and "slept" on it exactly one night during "camp driveway" the first night we brought the trailer home. The next day, we bought a 4" memory foam topper from Wal Mart. With the topper, the mattress slept GREAT.

Fast forward almost 4 years into ownership, and our setup is not satisfactory any more. I think the underlying mattress is getting worn out. We are both waking up with hip/shoulder pain.

I shopped foam mattresses on Amazon because we are setting my son's "big kid" room up, and we needed 4 new mattresses. I found Zinus brand mattresses, and we love them. So I ordered one for the trailer (RV Queen) and it should be on my porch when we get home today. I have no doubt it's going to be a HUGE improvement. And the price is right for these mattresses.

We've slept on a memory foam mattress in our S&B home for years, and we'll never go back to an inner-spring mattress. We never have a problem with getting "sunk in" to them, and they're just the right firmness for both of us. We paid a mint for our home mattress, so when it comes time, I will replace it with a Zinus and pay less than 1/4 the price. If I need a new one after 3-4 years, I still come out ahead.
Similar experience here! With a topper the Denver mattress was 'ok' initially, but hips and shoulders not as happy any more.

When you get a chance to get the mattress off the porch and sleep on it, please let us know which thickness worked for you.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Similar experience here! With a topper the Denver mattress was 'ok' initially, but hips and shoulders not as happy any more.

When you get a chance to get the mattress off the porch and sleep on it, please let us know which thickness worked for you.
We ordered the 10", and it's going to work for us because I'm not going to the trouble of shipping it back! LOL!!

Seriously though, I will put up a small write-up on it when I get it all set up, and I will update as necessary.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #30

I'm going to tag this as I'm sure we'll need a new mattress (don't have the TT in hand yet to test). After years of my back hurting from a childhood injury, we splurged a few years ago for a Tempurpedic mattress for the house, and we'll we looking for something similarly firm but pliant for the TT.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
I'm going to tag this as I'm sure we'll need a new mattress (don't have the TT in hand yet to test). After years of my back hurting from a childhood injury, we splurged a few years ago for a Tempurpedic mattress for the house, and we'll we looking for something similarly firm but pliant for the TT.

We have a Tempurpedic for about 7 years now at home. We love it. We opted for an inexpensive foam 8" from Amazon for or TT as the "upgraded pillow top" that came with it was garbage. We are just as happy with the Amazon unit as the expensive Tempurpedic.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
We have a Tempurpedic for about 7 years now at home. We love it. We opted for an inexpensive foam 8" from Amazon for or TT as the "upgraded pillow top" that came with it was garbage. We are just as happy with the Amazon unit as the expensive Tempurpedic.
Do you recall the name or model of the one you got? I'd like to buy one and sleep on it on the floor before we take it camping. We are moving from ground and roof top tents - until I found my $350 mattress pad, getting up after camping in either one meant several hours before I could stand up straight or walk without a lot of pain. I don't mind paying for comfort.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Do you recall the name or model of the one you got? I'd like to buy one and sleep on it on the floor before we take it camping. We are moving from ground and roof top tents - until I found my $350 mattress pad, getting up after camping in either one meant several hours before I could stand up straight or walk without a lot of pain. I don't mind paying for comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the Serenia sleep 8 ". Its $274 now, we paid $332 on 4/15
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #34

This is the one we got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were 18 units left when I ordered it the other day. I've been watching for it to become available again, and went ahead and snapped it up. Sure glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger! It'll be out of stock for around a month now. No way we could've gotten one at this price in time for our next trip, and we'll be out for over a week!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV