Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #1

Replacing 7 pin plug

We picked up our new jay feather. Had a great vacation in the Black Hills of SD. On the way home, our 7 pin plug somehow came out & was dragging on the ground. About halfway destroyed. Fortunately, we got it plugged in enough for lights to work & brake to work - with a little help from duct tape. Does anyone know if the 7 pin plug can be replaced or do they have to replace the entire cord?

Thanks,

AZ Campers
AZ Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #2

You can do it either way (click me). If it were me I would replace the connector and wire just to insure a water tight connection, and it's not expensive.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Some campers do not have access to where the cable disappears into the camper. You can install a box somewhere and re terminate the old and new pigtail in it for future convenience. Some use a clip arrangement to help the cord stay plugged in as the catch on the lid can work loose.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #4

Check with etrailer.com as they will have a long and short length version of the 7-way cable assy.

install is easy as it all terminates into an electrical junction box with lid just under the the frame of the trailer.

All the ones i have ever seen are all connected using twist on wire nuts and you can can replace with using color for color connections.

I think etrailer even has a video clip of the typical install procedure...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Team

I've replaced mine before. It just depends on how much excess slack you have.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

My Dad dragged our cable two weeks ago and he was about 70 miles away from any type of trailer place. Luckily everyone was going out there to see them that weekeknd since it was Father's Day. I went to the local RV place and they sell two lenghts of cable. One is 8' for $36 and the other was 10' for about $52 and I got the 10' The cable itself has the plug on one end and the other end it just a bunch of color coded wires.

Our cable didn't terminate into an electrical box. Out cable went through the floor of the camper and into the front storage area of our dinette. Everything was just connected with wire nuts.

This is what it looked like when we got there.

And then this is what the wiring looked like in the dinette seat.

The cabel was simply feed through a hole in the floor and it was held in place with a glob of caulk or something. The hole was not completely plugged. My brother went below the camper and I was in it and we would take turns tugging a bit on the cable to free it from the caulk. It was difficult to do. All of the wiring was color coded so it was a breeze to fix.

I would suggest buying a new cable and replacing the one you have now. Then roll up the damaged cable and keep it somewhere in the camper. If you end up damaging the new cord then you can use the wires from the old cable and splice them together. For what it's worth, if you look on the cable you will see the wire gauges used. I think it' ssomething like 1 10 gauge, 2 12 gauge and 4 14 gauge. Something along those lines.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

I pinched my cable about two years ago taking a tight turn - boy it was not happy when I did that! Anyway - I used crimp butt connectors, heat shrink tube, and then wrapped it well with electrical tape. I told myself - I am going to come back at the end of the season and replace that....well two seasons later and it is still there.....I gotta do that one of these days!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

I cut the wiring on my boat trailer when we first bought a boat. Took a turn to tight and the cable was pinched between the bumper and the trailer. Since then, I have used a "bungee" cord and pull it up a bit by hooking to the tailgate and looping the cable over the other end. I even do this when we pull the boat behind the FW. Maybe it's time to invest in a "bungee" cord to help keep the cable off the road, if yours is close to the road when traveling.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #9

I put some wire loom around mine when I almost pinched it. Works great.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote