Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Replacing/upgrading 4 lug axle hub

I want to raise the clearance and go with a five lug 16 inch wheel. The tiny stock wheels and the lack of clearance give me gas.....

As such, Looking for a source for the hubs.

Will stock 5 lug Jayco hubs work on a 4 lug axle? If so, anyone know the outside diameter and lug pattern? I'd like to be a little anal and match the wheel with the tow vehicle.
Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #2

I'm thinking that step one is to figure out exactly which axle you have. Then, the axle manufacturer could tell you if a different lug pattern hub is available. It's probably a Dexter axle; here is a pdf of their axle identification guide: http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...ation_9-10.pdf

Remember to check carefully for wheel clearance.

Good Luck!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

My original 19ft TT had very poor ground clearance as well. It was so bad, its rear plumbing drain pipes had drag marks on them. An early indication that its rear end (and overall chassis clearance) needed more ground clearance. For this low cost adjustment, I simply re-positioned its axles "under" its leaf spring packs. Very simple task that created 4.0 - 4.5" more ground clearance - using its original tires and axles. Only needed to purchase some 10 Guage brake wiring and 4 x axle saddles. While doing this adjustment task, I also replaced its worn out spring bolts and installed new plastic bushings. But from a base adjustment (using original items), it cost me under $100 (including welding costs).

If wondering, I simply followed instructions within: http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/axles1.html

Hope this helps in your research....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

If your trailer has a Torsion axle system, one can install a "low cost" steel spacer. re: 3x3 steel tube or perhaps a 4x4 axle tube (based on your trailer's frame size).

For a few pictures, surf:

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/21...500x500Q85.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...k/P4290142.jpg

Note: If torsion axle is more then 20 years old, the axle needs to be replaced. Torsion axles older then 20 years are unsafe. And, need to be replaced.

Hope this "low cost" solution helps in your research as well.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

It's a torsion tube, no brakes. The spacer idea is one I am contemplating. I am getting a quote from a noted adapter maker for a 4 lug 4 inch on center to a 5x130mm wheel.

I'd RATHER find a larger diameter hub and then drill and press in studs......

Just for giggles, what does a new torsion tube run?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
It's a torsion tube, no brakes. The spacer idea is one I am contemplating. I am getting a quote from a noted adapter maker for a 4 lug 4 inch on center to a 5x130mm wheel. I'd RATHER find a larger diameter hub and then drill and press in studs...... Just for giggles, what does a new torsion tube run?

The cost of a new Torsion axle is regional specific (and size specific). If buying a new torsion axle and your current torsion axle is 30 degree, do investigate a 45 degree replacement. Thus, a steel spacer (to add more clearance) might not be needed.

To estimate Torsion axle replacement for your region, simply call a few local welding shops in your area. And, your local Camping World store (as special order item) as well. http://www.campingworld.com/ Each will provide an estimate.

Perhaps one can replace the existing Torsion "hubs" with different bolt pattern hubs as well? Your local RV Centers or most Trailer Supply stores could measure your current axle / hubs, and provide their recommended replacement costs as well. re: Only replace the hubs - if Torsion axle is under 20 years old.

If you want brakes on your trailer (IMO, all trailers over 1,500 lbs need their own brakes), replacing with new Torsion axle "with brakes" is your best solution. re: All parts from same company (like Dexter) and being a bundled product, it should have the best pricing as well....

Hope this helps as well....

Old 02-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #7

Getting close....it's a 93. Just finished pulling the axle, watching da game now....will look for a manufacturer marking later.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Just so you know I'm not a nutter and someone recognizes the 5x130 lug pattern....
Attached Thumbnails
911&Airstream.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

Yep....it's a Dexter.
Attached Thumbnails
dexter axle.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Yep....it's a Dexter.

For Dextor Torsion design axles, lots of info within:

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Torfl...ation_4-04.pdf

Note: They call their Torsion axles "Torflex". As seen in this .PDF file, lots of measuring to do - before calling others for replacement estimates.

Happy shopping....

Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

The height of the tire/wheel combo I want to use is 6 inches taller than the 20.5x8-10 stock wheel. The mount is two inches wide.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #12

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/contact.html

OK, just got off the phone with the adapter guy. An adapter can be made to space the lug from 4x4 inch to 5x130mm (5x5.12"). $150.00 which is cheaper than replacing the hubs. I've dealt with this company before and they make a good product. Not worried about breakage as they use these on pretty high horsepower rides and this is just a tag along trailer.

Now, to calculate backspace to determine if I need a flat or thicker spacer for proper placement in the well. I also need to figure how high the spacer block for the axle and the body to lift it higher and not rub on the TOP of the wheel well.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #13

Was told that many trailer's need a minimim 3" gap from their tires to any contact area of its inner fender. This assumes the axle rating is properly rated for its upper weight re: 5,000 lbs ontop of 3,000 lbs axle will compress much more than say 2,000 lbs load on a 3,000 lbs axle. Personally, I like using 4" cap. Just in case the trailer wheel hits a big dip and it dramatically compresses its axle suspension.

With this in mind, it migt be best to upgrade the hubs, install the replacement rims, then check for gapping. If under 3", then frame steel spacer will be needed. But if 4" gap remaining, you should be good (under normal flat road driving conditions).

If costing out your comparison (of special adaptor compared to new hubs), do inquire about hubs with brake assemblies. IMO, any trailer above 1,500 lbs needs it own brakes. Especially if being towed with a typical smaller sized vehicle (compared to a F-350 or Hummer vehicle).

Hope this helps....

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #14

Dry weight on this trailer is 1575 lbs. I don't plan on traveling with a lot of crap as I'm single now......the 911 has close to 300 hp and VERY good brakes.

I also have a GMC Yukon 2500 with Quad Steer.....

But thanks for the warning.......
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #15

Got the body lift almost done. I used plate on the sides to do the lift, I pick up the 2x6 tubing tomorrow and will cut to fit.

The 4x4" to 5x130 adapters are on order. The guy is local.

Will have to modify the height of the tow hitch on the vehicle. Will be on the road soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I attached pics of the lift and the wheel to be used.

Overall lift is 6 inches on the body and 3 inches on the wheel....9 inches total. No more drag on steep curbs and speed bumps or bottoming out on dirt roads.
Attached Thumbnails
lift.jpg   Fuch.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #16

Finished the 2"x6" steel spacers between the axle and the frame. The install took a good four hours. Dulled 2 half inch Carbide drill bits at 12 bucks a piece. Used grade 8 nuts, bolts, washers and locks. Cranked them down to 120 foot lbs.

The adapters aren't ready yet but did a test fit of the wheels.

The first (that I know of) Jayco tent trailer with German alloy wheels. Bling on a ghetto camper.....

Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #17

Hi Joe.

Your new rim and axle "lift" looks great. You do great work!!!!

If you aren't too sure of enough gapping (of tire to its nearest touch points), you can always connect your trailer's toungue to your Tow Vehicle. Then, perhaps have a few guys on the trailer's rear bumper and they all jump up/down. Then, someone else visualizes its remaining gap (while under compression). If all "looks good under compression", your setup is perfect. Otherwise, add 1 or 2 more inches of torsion axle lift. Especially if you plan to travel across a few rough CGs or rough county roads.

Overall, your mods look great. Way to go!!!! Thanks for sharing your finished results....