Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

Rest Areas on the Interstate Highway System

Last year on our way to Florida we stopped at a rest area in the state of Georgia to eat. There was a separate lot for RVs and the facilities were clean and nice. We asked an attendant how long we could stay, and she said "if you tell us your tired we won't ask you to leave." I really liked her answer. We could have easily stayed the night there, but we already had reservations at a private park along the route.

Later, I did some searches on the internet to see if there was any consistency in the rules for how long you can stay in a rest area. Although it's a national highway system, the rules are controlled by the state you're in - and they can vary widely. Some places want you out of there as soon as you have taken care of your personal needs, and other places actually have hookups for RVs. And you can find about anything in between.

Does anyone have a link, or other data, that contains state-by-state information about the length of stay at rest areas?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #2

Great question, I would like to see more information on this as well.

1993 Jayco Jay Series RK3050 5th wheel
1995 GMC 3500 SRW with a lil' ole carburated Vortec 350 I built myself.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Any reporting of rest stops should include a Sleeze factor

Some rest stops are really quite nice and friendly. Some however attractk "interesting" people. The one that is always most sad is I17 just norht of Phoenix. Frequently attracts folks trying to make a quick buck at times. Now some folks there are actauly on a world of hurt but some folks try to take advanage of peoples generous and helpful nature.

The sad truth is that Arizona has closed nearly all of its road side rest. This is one state that really needs what few they had. Best be able to hold out here as its a long way between places to pull over safely.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

We found the rest area in the Florida Interstates to be excellent. Since the shootings a few years ago they are manned 24 hrs.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

I would like to know if there is a list somewhere. I know in CT on I-84 there is a rest area on the west side of the state where RV parking is separate from truck parking and you can spend the night.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Many of the rest areas near large cities, and even some in some rural areas have been closed because of too much crime. Too expensive to man them 24/7. A few years ago some amateur radio operators were spending time at some of the CA rest areas and then reporting to police if they saw any problems. You just have to be careful at rest areas anyplace.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #7

Arizona Rest Stops are now open and beautiful

I travel from Phoenix, AZ to Corpus Christi, TX in the fall and spring of each year and I always RV'd the night at TX Rest/Picnic/Parking Stops (these are the 3 kinds of stops along I-5 in Texas). I have also stayed at NM and AZ stops along I-5 and experienced no problems. Texas is the best however.
Richard
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

We just traveled I80 from Ca went up to I84 in Idaho and over to I90 in S Dakota then back to I80 through Nebraska and to Pa. All the rest stops were open with maybe the exception of one closed for maintenance. The rest stops on the toll roads through Indiana and Ohio had separate spots for RVs but the spaces were to short for our rig so we had to use the truck parking area. We didn't have any problems but I do carry an equalizer with me just in case.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #9

You will find trucks in the RV spaces and RVs in the truck spaces in GA. We see it all the time as we travel up and down I-75.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #10

Hopefully our Cost-Cutting Governor doesn't close all the ones in OHIO (which he has offered a measure to do). There are some great ones here, especially along I-75 and I-70 on the southwest side of Columbus. Will keep updated on this.

RV'ers usually use the RV/Truck areas and our stops are recently updated and quite spacious.

1985 'J' Series 2050
1997 Ram 1500
2004 Jeep WranglerX
Camping and Wheeling...it's what I do!
LilWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #11

We'll be checking out a lot of the RV/Truck areas this summer as we do the long 1700+ mile drive from NJ to Colorado Springs. We should have a nice opportunity to check out many of the rest areas alon I-70 :nike:
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #12

Along I70 in Kansas they have areas big enough for RV's and you have your own ramada. We saw many RV's parked overnight.

Check out www.mapquest.com put in your trip map, go to travel services, click on rest areas and it will point them out along your route. You can even view them by satellite map.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

From TexDot, information on Texas rest stops, the one north of Jackonville on I-69 is a very pleasant stop w/ a nice scenic overlook that makes you think you are in Tennessee.

http://www.txdot.gov/travel/safety_r...as/default.htm
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #14

In our recent travels we've noticed the some rest stops have dump sites and water available. This would be great when traveling straight thru in order to get to your tour area. It would be great to have other rv'ers there with you to make it more comfortable. In most of these rest areas there are already many trucks parked for longer term parking. Also, some of the water supply hoses have been cut leaving just the rubber end. I've been carrying a screw in type "hose end" that allows me to screw it to the opening of the RV.
DtMaurer is offline   Reply With Quote