Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Roof question

I was on my roof giving it a good wash and noticed in 2 seperate spots there seems to me something poking up from underneath. It seems to me like it is a head of a nail or screw. I don't like that because eventually it is going to poke through. Do you guys think that is worthy of a warranty claim? My 5'er is only a 1.5 years old.

Thanks
Firestone ride-rite air bags
dieselmann35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

From past experience they usually will not do anything since the rubber membrane stretches and will not puncture. With that said I would have the dealer make note and also contact JAYCO in case it does become an issue in the future.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

I agree. Photograph it and make sure that it is documented. This sounds to me like a MANUFACTURING DEFECT if someone failed to drive the screws flush. I can almost promise you that 5 or 6 years down the road Dicor will not warrantee that tear and will blame the improperly installed screws.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

Thanks guys. That is a great idea and will do that tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Team

It will be a easy repair if you do or have it done before it comes thru. It is not unusual to have these type things. Good you caught it early.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Site Team

This related thread may be of interest:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=roof
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

I know it is an easy repair if it were to poke through but its the fact that you pay good money for a camper and you have stupid little things like this happen.

That is a good read Crabman and makes me sad that nobody wants to take accountability for poor craftsmanship.

I have also had a ton of staples that were half ass stapled in on the interior of the edge of the slideout floor that I had to pull out.

I know my camper is not a top of the line rig but I still think if I paid $33k for something it should be well made.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #8

I have a friend who just bought his 2nd class A motorhome [Bus]. Both came with just about every luxury know to RV'ing. Both were delivered with several small cosmetic and even a couple functional issues along with the $350k pricetag. All were corrected by the dealer but my point is these things, modest TT's or expensive big rigs, aren't perfect as delivered. That's a sad state of affairs for the RV industry, but is a fact of life. If you get a perfect or near perfect one, consider yourself lucky. Most of us just get out the glue gun and screwdriver and take care of business since they don't warrant a trip to the dealer and loss of use of our new RV for a week or two.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

The first time I was up on my roof, as I was washing and winterizing last January, I found a protrusion just like the ones described (just one on my roof though). I went on the hunt for information regarding what I could/should do. I found the thread Crabman linked above, and several others referencing the same material. After an afternoon of reading and researching, I came to the conclusion that I'm just going to keep an eye on that spot. I'm on my roof 2x per year for cleaning, and I do a thorough hands-and-knees inspection while I'm up there. So I'm going to watch it closely. If in the next year (that's what's left on my warranty) it comes through, I'll see about submitting a warranty claim. When my 2yr warranty is up, I'm planning to get a big roll of Eternabond and seal in the entire thing. Rustic Eagle (Bob) has a post on how he did his and his BIL's trailers, and they look great IMHO. While I'm doing that, I'll examine the protrusion again and decide if I'm going to just let it ride, or if I'm going to cut the roof, fix the protrusion, and Eternabond the hole.

I believe I've been one of the lucky ones mentioned above, I've only found a handful of minor build errors with my trailer, and nothing that would really cause a major problem.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
The thread that Crabman linked above was mine and that was when we first owned our trailer. Here we are almost 3 years later (took delivery Dec 9, 2011) and nothing has poked through yet. I just spent several hours on the roof last week scrubbing on my hands and knees and the roof looks pretty much like it did 3 years ago. I do have the issue documented with Jayco and am way beyond worrying about it any longer.

As a side note, on all other issues we have had with our trailer Jayco has stepped up each and every time and taken care of the problem to my satisfaction and beyond. They have spent much more in warranty claims in this trailer than they made in profit from it. Which begs the question, would it not be more profitable to put a bit more effort in quality control and improvements in production methods than to pay out these high warranty claims. In my case alone although I can't reveal the exact amount suffice to sat it is many thousands of dollars.

Would I buy another Jayco? In a hot minute!!!!

The true measure of a company in my opinion is not it weather they have problems with their product after the sale as much as it is HOW they deal with those problems. Jayco has made me a satisfied customer in spite of the issues we have had with this unit.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote