Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

rookie question - buying an 11 year old rv

My wife and I are new to the idea of using/buying a camper after using a tent fir a few years. Anyhow, I got a friend selling a 2002 jayco 29bh which he is asking 6 k. The camper is in great shape with everything working the way it should.
I was curious on your input on the price and camper.

I easily could afford a newer model but I'm cheap, so this price range is my comfort level. Should l be concerned with the camper being eleven years old and play it safe and up my price range? Just not sure since I never owned before.
almosthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #2

Check the NADA site for used rv pricing. That will give you a ballpark figure of what it's worth. There's a thread on here about buying a used camper. Tells you what to look for as for possible damage to the camper. Good luck

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would definitely check the condition of the roof.
You may have to put a coat of rubber roof on since the life span of roofing materials is about 10 years.
For a 29ft trailer, that would take probably 4 gallons at about $100/gal

There's a good youtube video on process. Easy enough, 1 day job.

I would also check the age of the tires. RV tires need to be replaced every 5-7 years independent of thread condition.
I assume this has 2 axels and 4 tires. That's another $600 probably.

Happy shopping.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Have the roof inspected for signs of damage or water intrusion. The roof material should last many more than 10 years if properly taken care of. Look for signs of moisture inside like mildew and mold. Check all seams and roof openings for cracks in caulking.

Wheel bearings and brake shoes should be checked and repacked. Tires are a regular maintenance item on any camper but need to be followed up on.

Check the value and make an offer.

Camping is much more enjoyable in a paid for camper.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Make sure you can tow it with the vehicle you currently have or one you would be purchasing. Do some research as to what is needed for a trailer that size.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
Make sure you can tow it with the vehicle you currently have or one you would be purchasing. Do some research as to what is needed for a trailer that size.
X2 on having enough truck to do the job- IMHO, you can not have too much truck- DD
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Team

One or three other thoughts:

1. 6K is about what I see as a avg retail price so it may not be a great bargain at that price.

2. Look at the floor plan closely and see if you like it. Example, if you don't need a bunk house then it will not be a ideal floor plan.

3. In addition to the toe vehicle requirements mentioned also think about the equalizing hitch. Maybe that would be a part of the sellers deal. If not, it will be an additional expense to consider.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #8

I was in your position one year ago. I started looking at a friends 10 year old 6K dollar trailer. Once I started really shopping, to determine whether it was a good deal or not, I quickly walked away. I slowly worked my way up until I was satisfied with a 15K dollar trailer, and after spending time in it, I am really glad I did not buy the $6K trailer. Another note though, moving from tent camping to trailer camping does create another expense furnishing and modding trailer to your like, and tow vehicle capability is very important.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

I will be pulling the trailer with a 2012 ford ecoboost f150. I would think it should have enough power to handle a decent size trailer.... 30 ft???? I really am starting to search around for campers now and noticing the benefits to the slide outs. I still hate to drop the money but I really think I am leaning towards upwards of the 12k mark now..... I was just raised with my dad preaching that once you spend money it's gone.

I will also be equipping my truck with a weight distribution hitch. I love the input so far, thanks.
almosthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

You will need to know what trailer you will have before choosing a WD hitch. A hitch needs to match the weight of the trailer and the tongue weight.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #11

Please do not just think about if it can tow it. Be sure as if you are wrong it creates a lot of problems. what is the weight of the camper? What is the tow capacity of your F150? Is it equipped with a tow package? How much gear will you be taking? Just thinking without some research only causes trouble. Not trying to be nasty but just trying to show you what all is involved with buying a camper.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
I was just raised with my dad preaching that once you spend money it's gone..
Wrong! When my wife spends the money (shoes and handbags) it's gone. When I spend the money (RV, tools, motorcycles, guns, etc.) it's still there just in another form .

If you are really good at assessing the condition an advantage of going use is the ability to give RVing a test run and if in a year or so you're not thrilled you can sell it and not have taken an immediate beating as far as depreciation when you roll a new unit off the dealers lot.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

My biggest concern would be the roof.
Most only have a 5 to 7 year roof warranty, if that much,
Check into the cost of a new rubber roof first.
I understand that on the smaller travel trailers, it starts around $600.00
elc7593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

Good way to end a friendship.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
Please do not just think about if it can tow it. Be sure as if you are wrong it creates a lot of problems. what is the weight of the camper? What is the tow capacity of your F150? Is it equipped with a tow package? How much gear will you be taking? Just thinking without some research only causes trouble. Not trying to be nasty but just trying to show you what all is involved with buying a camper.
Yep, good advice. Know for sure what you will be able to tow, and more importantly, what you will be able to carry (tongue weight, people, cargo, etc). That will probably narrow your search pretty quickly.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote