Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #1

Rounded Bunk Bed - Baby/Toddler Solution?

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has made some sort of gate solution for the rounded bunks in the Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW? we have a 15 month old and wondering if anyone has a good solution before we attempt building something.

Thanks in advance!!
MrsVin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

Hi to you! Welcome to the forum.

We still had a tent camper when our boys were toddlers so I got nothin'. But other members with TT have toddlers and hopefully one/some will be along soon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #3

For our jayco 26BH I believe we have a smaller opening than you do, but i have been reaearching how to creat a crib in the lower bunk bed for our 1.5 yr old son. He sleeps through the night great, but once he wakes up in the morning he is ready to get up lol.

I have tried taking a standard foldable bed rail for a twin bed and cutting it down to fit the opening. Cutting it down was easy with a hacksaw, and i used the larger command hooks on one side to hold it, the matress held it at the bottom, and i kinda wedged the other side.
Sadly, this is just tall enough to reach my sons belly, so he hangs out over the top of it and we are afraid he will flip out one day.
My next idea is to use some pvc plumbing parts, pipe, elbows, and t's to make a bed rail that covers the entire opening.
I know we have a differnt form of bed, but these are the easiest and most const effective materials and methods i have seen yet.
I have talked to some people that suggested making a rail with part of it going under the matress to hold it, but my son has started climbing so that would not really work.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you find a good solution, i am still working on this issue as well.
Wademunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

We just used pack and plays until they stopped "swimming" in their sleep. Once they stopped doing laps in their beds, we used bed rails on the bunk beds.
vtdanokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

We used Pack-n-play for a while too. We put it where the table goes in the dinette. We slid the table top in between the dinette booth seat and the couch, which is a perfect fit in my trailer.

When we got tired of tripping over that, we "fashioned" a gate to go in the bottom bunk opening. It wasn't all that difficult. We just used one section of a standard "baby gate" from our house. I installed a couple short sections of 1x1 on the "wall" side of the bunk (the bathroom wall), and we used bungee cords to sort of pull it against the opening (the back of the ladder wall) on one side and my 1x1s on the other side. We hooked the bungees into the trim pieces for the top and bottom bunks. Some kind of screwed in hook would work too if you need to install it, we didn't.

When it wasn't in use, it would slide in behind that ladder wall and be out of the way.

Sorry, I don't have any pics...

It worked pretty well and we used it until he figured out how to get in and out of the bunk relatively safely. My son's problem wasn't that he squirmed his way out, it was that he would wake up, stand up, and walk right out the opening and fall flat on the floor. Luckily, I was there to catch him the first time he tried it; the gate went up the next day.

The only problem we ever had with it was that it was a bit cumbersome to set up quietly. We would finally get him to sleep, and then invariably, I would bump something while putting up the gate and wake him up. DW was a lot better at it and could do it almost completely silently.

Downside of not having the gate anymore is that he's free to leave his bunk at any time. Usually he has his pillow, blanket and "lovie" in hand and is headed our way to cozy up with mommy and daddy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #6

We have an 18 month old and put her on the pullout couch and used the pads from the dinette on the floor next to the pull out couch just in case.
cheiden001 is offline   Reply With Quote