Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Route advice

So I searched the forums and didn't find much. We're going to disney in march and I'm trying to find the best route. I'm starting out in Sussex county NJ. My plan is to take njtp to 1 to 301. Follow that over the chesapeake bay bridge, I guess it turns to 301/50 around there, back on 301 and on to 95 just north of Richmond. This would bypass DC and the tunnels in Baltimore.

My other nooby question is regarding tunnels. Are motorhomes prohibited or do they require you to shut off your propane tanks? If I just took 95 straight down I'm estimating I'll be in the Baltimore/DC area around 6 or 7pm. Traffic should be easing up a bit, I'm guessing. Google maps and gps takes me that way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

I just commented on another thread about this same route. I think 301 to the
Bay Bridge is a great route. Little traffic and one toll at rte 1 after C&D
Canal. I can tell you how To go around that one easily.
I'm not a big fan of 301s below Annapolis I always stay on 50 to 95 (21 miles)
301 Annapolis to Bowling Green seems to take forever.

When we went through the Bay Bridge Tunnel (VA)
This summer the toll collector asked if
Our propane was shut off. That's the only experience I've
Had
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

I drive this route regularly. Take 13 down the eastern shore. Avoid DC and Baltimore at all costs. Once in Norfolk you can decide whether or not to go west and join I95 or keep going south hugging the cost on Hwy 17. It's 4 lane 95%of the way to where it rejoins I 95 just north of Savannah. Bypasses Wilmington and Mrytle Beach. 70mph speed limits for most of it. The 2 lane sections are short and not bad. Centered around New Bern NC for a total of about 20 miles. Plenty of gas stations and places to stop if needed and about 75 miles shorter. Both routes have tunnels. Shut your l.p. off it will be inspected. I drive this route every two weeks. STAY AWAY FROM DC!
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

Thanks, I'll look at that one as well. How do they inspect your lp anyway? Are there places I should be looking for to stop or is it at toll booths?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
Once in Norfolk you can decide whether or not to go west and join I95 or keep going south hugging the cost on Hwy 17. It's 4 lane 95%of the way to where it rejoins I 95 just north of Savannah. Bypasses Wilmington and Mrytle Beach. 70mph speed limits for most of it.
US 17 through Brunswick County, NC is a nice four-lane highway. That county stretches from Wilmington, NC to the SC border. Watch the varying speed limits. It is not unusual at all to see the Brunswick County Sheriff's Department working the highway.

If it is open, this is a good place to stop for veggies, meats, fruits, etc. It is on US 17 about ten miles from the SC border.
Holden Brothers Farm Market
5600 Ocean Highway West, South Brunswick, NC 28470
http://goo.gl/maps/TemAF

And if you like seafood, I can also recommend stopping in Calabash, NC where you'll have numerous places from which to choose. Calabash is a very slight detour off of US 17 just north of SC.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurv View Post
So I searched the forums and didn't find much. We're going to disney in march and I'm trying to find the best route. I'm starting out in Sussex county NJ. My plan is to take njtp to 1 to 301. Follow that over the chesapeake bay bridge, I guess it turns to 301/50 around there, back on 301 and on to 95 just north of Richmond. This would bypass DC and the tunnels in Baltimore.

My other nooby question is regarding tunnels. Are motorhomes prohibited or do they require you to shut off your propane tanks? If I just took 95 straight down I'm estimating I'll be in the Baltimore/DC area around 6 or 7pm. Traffic should be easing up a bit, I'm guessing. Google maps and gps takes me that way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I believe in Baltimore you can not have propane at all. You have to do the 695 drive around. My parents went thru tunnel once with motorhome got stopped and were given a warning.
I just google mapped the 13 to 17 route and it appears to be more miles then the 301 to 50 to 95 route.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

At the CBT on hwy 13, they inspect the lp at the toll booth. they will ask you to pull over to a turn out lane they have just for it.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #8

I went through the CBBT this summer and the attendant asked if my propane was off and mine was not, so I pulled off and turned off before proceeding.

If you go this route I would suggest 113 vs 13. 13 has a lot of speed traps and far more lights. I am heading this way next week without the rig and do this route 2-3x's a year without my rig. You can set your watch to it pretty much unless you hit Norfolk wrong.

Pocomoke City, MD 13 south has lights and is 4 lanes. Once through the CBBT and into Norfolk you will hit some construction for the new 17 bypass then once in the Dismal Swamp it starts to open up and it's 65 to 70MPH for a good portion with all the new bypasses. Washington, NC is where it ends and it's back to 2 lanes until just north of New Bern.

Cape May Ferry is also and option for you to get into 113 from NJ.

95 at the time you metioned is bad news. 95 is a crap shoot unless you are through Bal, DC and Richmond on extreme off hours. It does not take much to throw it off especially in the spring around spring break periods.

Key Bridge is the legal way around Baltimore.

Another suggestion is 80 to 81 and bypass it all. Beautiful highway to run on and great truck stops all along the route.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

I've also done the 301 route over the Chesapeake bridge. Main concern there is avoid La Plata and Waldorf anywhere near rush hour. Lots of stop lights and everybody is commuting either to Baltimore or DC. Staying on 13 and 17 is 75 miles shorter from Charleston Sc to Philly. Not using google, but my own odometer Not sure of the distance from Charleston south to 95 but it isn't far and again is 4 lane. Drove it last year and will be driving it again in April with my camper on our way to the Keys. Again I drive this every two weeks and have for 23 years. I have done every conceivable way. take Hwy 1 in Delaware about 5 miles south of the Delaware memorial bridge off of 95(Mall RD exit)(Cabellas) . Hwy 1 turns into hWy 113 in Milford Del, keep going and hang a left onto hwy 13 in Pocomoke city Md. You can get on 13 in Dover as well but during daytime, 113 has a lot less traffic. The two roads parallel each other about 5-10 miles apart. Follow 13 to Interstate I 64 and then after about 10 miles, take the hwy 17 exit for NC. You cannot miss it. Stay on 17 until you hit I-95 at the Georgia, SC line. Try to time going thru Norfolk to avoid 4-6 pm (be south of Philly before noon) as you will need to go near the Naval Bases and that is when they do their staggered end of shift. Traffic there will be heavy on I-64 at those times. After about 6:30 you will have the interstate almost to yourself. Philly to Norfolk is 5 hours. Norfolk to New Bern, NC is just over 3 hours. New Bern to Charleston is about 5 hours. For what its worth, I can drive those extra 75 miles on I-95 in the same amount of time I can drive the eastern shore. But I don't enjoy white knuckle 80mph driving in bumper to bumper traffic. I have zipped thru Baltimore DC area in about an hour. I have also sat in traffic and took 90 minutes to cover 13 miles. Traffic on 95 is very heavy around the clock from the Memorial bridge all the way to Fredricksburg Va. South of Fredricksburg its not bad at all and you can roll if you want to.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

[QUOTE=3'senough;268207]I went through the CBBT this summer and the attendant asked if my propane was off and mine was not, so I pulled off and turned off before proceeding.

Pocomoke City, MD 13 south has lights and is 4 lanes. Once through the CBBT and into Norfolk you will hit some construction for the new 17 bypass then once in the Dismal Swamp it starts to open up and it's 65 to 70MPH for a good portion with all the new bypasses. Washington, NC is where it ends and it's back to 2 lanes until just north of New Bern.

Construction on Hwy 17 bypass in Norfolk continues, but they opened 2 lanes on the new highrise bridge last month, what construction there is won't affect the drive. You will see it, but you won't go thru it. As for New Bern the 4 lane has extended north form town about 15 miles now and goes south of town to the county line. Once thru Jones county about 15 miles it goes back to 4 lanes and remains that way all the way to Georgia. The two lane sections are still pretty decent and are major roads for the area. Only hold up there would be a wreck and they do happen. (I live in New Bern and I am on the volunteer fire dept). Locals know how to get around them when they happen so traffic still won't be too bad.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #11

Avoid I 95 from north of Baltmore to south of Richmond fom About 2 pm until after 7 pm especially if towing a trailer. As many have said use 13 down the Eastern Shore and pick up 17 into South Caroline. Maybe a longer trip but all it takes is one fender bender on I95 to slow things down for miles and hours. Good luck n your trip.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #12

Hey bud, come down to rt 78. Take 78west to 81 south to exit 70 for 83 s. Follow signs to rt 15 south down toward Frederick md. Then follow to 270 s. To 495 to 95. All you have is to at 78 or if your closer to 80 take 33 to 78. You avoid all the turnpike tolls and Baltimore traffic and tolls there also. You will save a lot of time and no bad hills
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote